Stonehenge - a staged study for my LHS

Hi Guys and Gals

Here's something I picked up earlier today to do as a display unit for my LHS. The plan is to do it as a 'staged' diorama showing the various build processes I've gone through to reach the end result.

The kit (and an essential add-on):

Box%20and%20Weathering%20Set.jpg

What you get in the box:

Parts.jpg

The baseboard on a surrounding display board:

BaseBoard%20with%20mount.jpg

Baseboard with the layout map overlaid on it:

BaseBoard%20with%20Layout%20map%20overla

The Instructions:

Instructions.jpg

And finally - the initial layout plan:

Layout1.jpg

The page on the left shows the various stages I am going to follow (roughly). I've already cut out the bottom right corner of the map to expose the underlying base board, I'll then leave an exposed portion of the layout map, then a section of the ceramic 'stones' without any dressing, then dressed stones on a grass covered base with ageing, texture and weathering increasing towards the top left corner.

Just gonna be a quick build this, but I'm tempted to get another of these kits for myself to do a more accurate, up-to-date representation of the 'Henge :D

The ceramics are easily workable with scalpel and scribes. The glue is a quick drying general purpose glue which seems to work well.

More pics to come through the week.

Comments, questions and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for looking

Kev

Edited by modelman182
Typos
  • Like 9

Thanks pzrgren

Hope you enjoy this :smile:

Badder

I don't get the reference to Spinal Tap - been a long time since I saw the film, though. [Edit - Ah-hah... NOW I get it, just 'googlied' it. I guess the film really didn't impress me that much, cos I'd forgotten all about that. Put that down to my poor taste in humour ;)]

Oh, and a ps. I like your sense of humour - a drummer calling himself a musician - ha ha ha.... ;) (only a bassist could get away with that one - tee hee...)

Cheers

Kev

Edited by modelman182
Enlightenment
  • Like 1

Don't forget the ground surface around Stonehenge is anything but flat, lots of lumps and bumps especially in the direction of the avenue heading NNW

Thanks Guys

Kalisti - I'm gonna give this one the 'Hollywood' treatment and take artistic licence to its extremes by leaving the ground flat. Or maybe I should dedicate it to Flat Earth Druids (there must be some of them around, somewhere, surely???) ;)

If I do another for my pleasure, I will probably account for the topography a bit better - no promises, though!

Major - I'll be sure to let my LHS owner know about that requirement - that should rattle his cage a little - hee hee...

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:47 AM, modelman182 said:

Oh, and a ps. I like your sense of humour - a drummer calling himself a musician - ha ha ha.... ;) (only a bassist could get away with that one - tee hee...)

Hi Kev,

I knew more about music than my bass player ever did! I recall one time when after the middle eight he played about 8 bars of a completely different song before our glares triggered his realisation! :jabber:

Just off to see you RFI.

Rearguards,

Badder

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Badder

Just noticed your last reply (OMG, was it really three weeks ago?). Your words strike a horrifyingly familiar chord (if you'll forgive the pun), I'm sure to have done something just as bad at least once in the last fifty years! :D

Almost bought a bass yesterday, but had a quick streak of rationale and ended up buying some Alclad instead (gotta love a market hall based model shop that has a second-hand musical instrument source across the way!). My playing days are long gone, retirement is just around the corner and it's time to get my stash prepared for a concerted onslaught.

Cheers and beers

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to correct you. Almost no one, ever, has believed the Earth to be flat. The ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Romans certainly knew it was 'round'. The earliest inhabitants of the Pacific islands, far more ancient, were even more aware.

Any sea-faring peoples couldn't help but notice that when a boat/ship/canoe 'sailed' out to sea it would disappear over the horizon gradually, not fall off some edge, and returning crews would report finding no edge to fall off, just further horizons, curving away 'forever'.

I would say that there have NEVER been any SERIOUS believers in a flat Earth, but I'm afraid that isn't true. I've seen some videos of current 'believers' in the USA who insist that the Earth IS flat and all these photos of films of a round Earth viewed from space are either hoaxes, or 'illusions' created by 'curves in the space time continuum'.

Sounds to me like they like listening to the album 'The Magic Teapot' by Gong.

And on the subject of music.... I had to give up drumming due to progressive chronic nerve damage to my hands/feet/limbs which affected my muscle control/memory and timing, not to mention the pain, and numbness.... etc etc. Still, I had a good few years and even got to support Budgie twice, and play the 2nd gig on the drummer's kit, so I count myself lucky!

I can understand why you might be tempted to buy a bass, because they are sexy, (so long as they are played on a long strap) and so easy to play!:D And I'm surprised your blunt old fingertips are any good for making models!!!:D:P

Rearguards,

Badder

10 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

Badders,  Can I point out that the earth MUST be flat!  Have you never read those wonderful documentary books by a certain Mr Pratchett?

The turtle moves.

:P

I've read all of the Discworld histories and the tour guides, and I've studied the discological maps and have read their beliefs about the Multiverse, yes. Nowhere do they say that 'round' planets do not exist, whether they are supported on the backs of pachyderms and cetaceans or not.

Rearguards,

Badder

Yea, as the turtle moves, an arrow can never strike it.

• Haha 1

On 9/16/2017 at 12:00 AM, Badder said:

I have to correct you. Almost no one, ever, has believed the Earth to be flat. The ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Romans certainly knew it was 'round'. The earliest inhabitants of the Pacific islands, far more ancient, were even more aware.

Any sea-faring peoples couldn't help but notice that when a boat/ship/canoe 'sailed' out to sea it would disappear over the horizon gradually, not fall off some edge, and returning crews would report finding no edge to fall off, just further horizons, curving away 'forever'.

I would say that there have NEVER been any SERIOUS believers in a flat Earth, but I'm afraid that isn't true. I've seen some videos of current 'believers' in the USA who insist that the Earth IS flat and all these photos of films of a round Earth viewed from space are either hoaxes, or 'illusions' created by 'curves in the space time continuum'.

Have to agree with you, but we both know that that won't dissuade the 'believers'. Funny thing, how stubborn people can be in the face of solid evidence. 

Sounds to me like they like listening to the album 'The Magic Teapot' by Gong.

Never heard it, but know of Gong. My preference would be "Singring and the Glass Guitar : An Electrified Fairytale" by Todd Rundgren's Utopia :D

And on the subject of music.... I had to give up drumming due to progressive chronic nerve damage to my hands/feet/limbs which affected my muscle control/memory and timing, not to mention the pain, and numbness.... etc etc. Still, I had a good few years and even got to support Budgie twice, and play the 2nd gig on the drummer's kit, so I count myself lucky!

Sorry to hear about the ailment that cut short your joy of drumming. My problem was 'trigger-finger', a pre-arthritic condition that causes fingers in both hands to lock in position. I'm still fighting it today (fortunately, with some success). 

I can understand why you might be tempted to buy a bass, because they are sexy, (so long as they are played on a long strap) and so easy to play!:D And I'm surprised your blunt old fingertips are any good for making models!!!:D:P

Long strap? Sheer heresy , man! Strap it tightly across the chest and you have all the control you need (just remember - not TOO tight - you still need to breathe!) ;) As for my blunt old fingertips - you have a good point, but I can still handle tweezers (just! LOL!) :D;):P

Cheers

Kev