1/48 Italeri Mirage F1CT/CR

ForestFan

The more the merrier, welcome to the GB ForestFan.

The kit was a good basic kit back in the day, in fact, it was one of ESCI's better 1/48th scale kits. I'm sure the enhancements you're planning on using  will help no end.

Mirage F1's are certainly proving popular!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Nice joice!

KH superseded this one? Not sure...

Detal vise and inadequate weapon set vise maybe!

CR or CT?

Edited by exdraken

I'm always surprised to see CR and CT proposed in the same box...:hmmm: Among the 22 versions of  Mirage F1 single-seaters versions (without A versions), 9 were equipped with the second electronic bay on the fuselage dorsal fin... and not least among them, CR of course, but also EE, EDA or all EQs versions. However, no plastic model with this second bay has never been producted in any scale...<_<

45 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I'm always surprised to see CR and CT proposed in the same box...:hmmm: Among the 22 versions of  Mirage F1 single-seaters versions (without A versions), 9 were equipped with the second electronic bay on the fuselage dorsal fin... and not least among them, CR of course, but also EE, EDA or all EQs versions. However, no plastic model with this second bay has never been producted in any scale...<_<

That's because most model companies don't know that level of detail, their basic airframe will always be a compromise in that regard, personally, I'm happy if they get the basic shape right, details that can be added by me are less of a concern.

The recent Cocardes publication is the most comprehensive single reference I've seen on the Mirage F1 and that's not without some omissions (later F1CG for instance), that came out long after this kit.

As for kitting the CT/CR together, if your research is only looking on the superficial level then just giving a choice of range-finder over camera pack is a fairly easy thing to offer.

Regarding the additional avionics bay, it would be helpful for all if you could illustrate the difference, I'm an avionics/electrical engineer, I get what you're talking about but not everyone has that luxury.:winkgrin:

1 hour ago, Wez said:

their basic airframe will always be a compromise in that regard

Obviously, I agree... and each time, there is a F1CR... and they often consider the only difference is the camera fairing under the nose, and the Super Cyclope ? and this second bay ?

I was talking specifically to this 'detail' because its location on the fuselage make it particularly seeable, and yet... it is always missing !

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Regarding the additional avionics bay, it would be helpful for all if you could illustrate the difference, I'm an avionics/electrical engineer, I get what you're talking about but not everyone has that luxury.:winkgrin:

F1CR with second bay

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/mirage_f-1cr/images/mirage_f-1cr_18_of_49.jpg

F1CT without it like F1C

http://florent1973.free.fr/FrenchAirWings/images/img_walarounds/avions/Mirage.F1CT/cellule/w_mirageF1CT_33grd.jpg

http://florent1973.free.fr/FrenchAirWings/images/img_walarounds/avions/Mirage.F1CT/cellule/w_mirageF1CT_30grd.jpg

Please notice that the addition of this bay implied the move of the refueling plug and its ground plug... so when comes the time to put the decals, be careful!;)

I hope this is helpful...

Edited by eclipse
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

Thanks for the info, though I have to ask why is everything so complicated! Sometimes I think i should just go back to modelling in blissful ignorance!

Fortunately, it's an easy fix, little bit of filling and scribing should see you right. It's something I need to do for my F1CR.