Airfix TBD Devastator

Today I finished this 1/72nd Airfix TBD Devastator. I've built it box stock with two exceptions, the addition of masking tape seat belts and a set of Tech Mod aftermarket decals.

It's finished as the Battle Of Midway aircraft of Lieutenant Commander John C. Waldron, Torpedo Squadron 8, from the USS Hornet. If you're not familiar with the story of the ill fated VT-8 you can read about it here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT-8

With some care and careful fitting it went together quite well. I paid special attention to the folding wing joints, prepping them for a good fit that would not require filling or sanding when done. By removing the locating pins I was able to build them first in top and bottom halves, taping them to a mirror to maintain perfect flatness and focus solely on getting the wing fold joints as I wanted.

I decided to leave the raised rivet detail on the fuselage because I thought it both homage and emphasis  of the anachronism that was the Devastator at the beginning of the war. I used Vallejo acrylics for the overall camouflage and Tamiya acrylics for the rest.

1/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-6

1/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-61/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-61/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-61/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-61/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-61/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-6

1/72 Airfix TBD Devastator VT-6Airfix Devastator

• Like 43

You've done a lovely job with this old Airfix kit and the finish you've achieved belies the actual age of the kit.

Well done indeed and thank you for letting us share it.

• Like 2

Excellent job!

These kits are available for a song at the hobby shop - yet I passed on one, thinking it was too old a kit to be any good.

Your work shows I was entirely wrong!

:worthy:

• Like 1

You have made an excellent job of this old kit. I have one of these in my stash but I am to torn between the two decal options to build it, maybe I should buy a second kit.

The losses suffered by the Devastator squadrons is a very sad story that reminds me of the Battle squadrons during the Battle of France in 1940.  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Glad you like it. I know there is a better kit available now but I get a lot of enjoyment from working with these old kits. I'm happy with the end result but it's as much about the process and nostalgia for me.

I started the kit with this particular aircraft in mind completely unaware of the fact the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway would occur mid way through the build process. Serendipity I suppose.

• Like 1

Great work there.

I do not mind the rivets. You have kept decidedly faithful to the kit and that is a rare thing to see.

I do admire your approach,

Michael

• Like 1

Just seeing the classic box art brought out strong feelings of nostalgia. I love that colourful scheme. Brought me right back to somewhere in 1971. Ironically I never actually ever acquired that kit. So it always remained an object of desire. It's a pity the kit didn't match the quality of box art. But it's very nice satisfying looking build.