A tale of two Hurricanes

Not only are we/have done the same kit I think we use the same brand of kitchen towel judging by the embossed pattern. As regards test fitting, the dorsal light tolerance; if your brushing it may be worth just clearing a little paint away from the hole. I airbrushed albeit with a goodly amount of coats and it was a snug fit. Whatever you do though don't lose that light.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2017 at 10:48 PM, Darby said:

Not only are we/have done the same kit I think we use the same brand of kitchen towel judging by the embossed pattern. As regards test fitting, the dorsal light tolerance; if your brushing it may be worth just clearing a little paint away from the hole. I airbrushed albeit with a goodly amount of coats and it was a snug fit. Whatever you do though don't lose that light.

I'm leaving all fragile/small parts off until final assembly. The tail hook fitted with no problems though.

I think the kitchen towel we've got is called Blitz, nice big sheets that are good for all sorts :D 

I've finished the decals on the Sea Hurricane and have begun the weathering. It's just got a coat of Ultimate Light Dirt on the underside to get things started.

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

I'll finish the weathering on this and seal it with a matte coat, then I'll get back to the other Hurricane.

Sean

• Like 1

Blitz is great! Even just for the name. That wash looked worrying for a moment until I scrolled down. If you're using Humbrol matt I know some have had a case of it 'whitening' on application. Thankfully I've not had this as yet and mine is an ancient bottle.

Started the Airfix one on Sunday before I had to come back here. Got the wings together, fuselage halves and cockpit. There's a couple of short shot parts in it; one length of the arrestor hook but that's easily replaced with rod and the figure's arm is just a blob, not that I use figures. When you see the tyres in it as well you may think they have suffered the same but there is one set that is slightly skimmed to allow a wheels up by the looks of it. I won't be ordering any canopy masks for this one though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darby said:

Blitz is great! Even just for the name. That wash looked worrying for a moment until I scrolled down. If you're using Humbrol matt I know some have had a case of it 'whitening' on application. Thankfully I've not had this as yet and mine is an ancient bottle.

I won't be ordering any canopy masks for this one though.

You should have seen the wash before it dried properly. I thought I'd screwed it up royally by using the wrong bottle!

I use a rattle can for the matt coat, I could never get a good finish using a brush to apply Matt coats and I almost always get decent results with the cans. Speaking of which, the topside got a wash and the whole lot was sealed with a blast from the can. I'll do a little more weathering with paint chips and suchlike but nothing too extravagant.

The Eduard canopy masks are good though, I've never had issues with those.

Sean

Flat coat applied. I think it looks suitably grubby and used but not over the top. It's maybe a little stark on the underside but I can live with it :D

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

Sean :pilot: 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Darby said:

Grubby is good. Careful you don't pop that topside engine cover like I did.

I'm hoping I've dodged that particular bullet as the major manhandeling is over hopefully. And I also think I may have used some CA on it so fingers crossed, it'll stay put.

Sean

Decals are now finished on the IIC and a wash has been applied and sealed in with a flat coat.

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

I'll do a little bit more weathering on the two and then it's final assembly time! :D

Sean

• Like 1

Come on Mozzy, pull your finger out and get those leading edge lights in;).

Got the Airfix one ready washed and ready for it's first spray tomorrow. I could do it today but there's some brown trout on Dartmoor I have an appointment with later.

Thankfully no disasters as yet with the canopy, and test fitting the LE lights showed a perfect fit. However, the journey isn't over yet. I should have kept the camo masks I used for the Italeri one and have had to order another set.

Edited by Darby
addendum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darby said:

Come on Mozzy, pull your finger out and get those leading edge lights in;).

Here you go :D

IMG_1235.jpg

One of them stands a little high off the leading edge but that's because of my slightly excessive sanding of the gun inserts :shrug: 

Sean

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Darby said:

Those gun inserts need a bit of a rub. Mine weren't as smooth as I would want them.

You can in fact see the odd profile of the leading edge in that photo, just from the way the light catches the top of the wing.

Sean

1 hour ago, Mozzy19 said:

You can in fact see the odd profile of the leading edge in that photo, just from the way the light catches the top of the wing.

Sean

Photographing in full sun is akin to curvaceous ladies wearing clingy white clothing. Both will show profiles. I think I got away with photographing in cloudy conditions. You can see a change in profile on mine in the flesh.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2017 at 10:54 PM, Darby said:

Photographing in full sun is akin to curvaceous ladies wearing clingy white clothing.

Very true.

Both are now finished and can be found here: 

Next up is an Eduard Hellcat (or 2... :whistle: )

Sean