A tale of two Hurricanes

My next projects, a Revell rebox of the Hasegawa IIC and the Italeri Sea Hurricane.

IMG_1025.jpg

I've managed to pretty much complete the wings on both kits apart from the radiators and have applied an initial coat of interior green on some of the cockpit parts.

This is the IIC:

IMG_1048.jpg

And the Sea Hurricane:

IMG_1049.jpg

And both together:

IMG_1047.jpg

Neither kit is a 'shake and bake' but I've seen worse. :D 

Sean

• Like 2

Cockpits complete and fuselages glued together. I did the bare bones of the engine in the Italeri kit so I can mount the exhausts and propellor.

IMG_1057.jpg

The upper cowl fit is well, interesting on the Italeri kit. :doh: 

Sean

• Like 2

Wings on.

Italeri

IMG_1062.jpg

Hasegawa/Revell

IMG_1063.jpg

I made some shims of plasticard between the wheel well and upper surface to help the fit to the fuselage. They worked beautifully and there's barely a gap and no step. The Italeri kit was slightly better without any mods. Both kits require work on the front fuselage and I have no less than 3 F clamps holding the hook insert in place on the Sea Hurricane.

Still, I'm enjoying them :)

Sean

• Like 1

Hello sean,

Nice job, I have the 2 kits waiting in the stash, but at this yime, I'm strugling with an old Airfix Mk I, adding resin fabric wings and the Italeri Mk I that is becoming recce hurri.

Are you going to rectify the nose ? Or you can leave with it ?

I tend to prefer the Italeri over the Hasegawa, The fabric seem have a better rendition on the Italeri.

What will be the paint Scheme for the Sea Hurricane ?

Nice job whatever

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm just going to tidy up the seams on the nose of the Sea Hurricane. If there are any shape issues, I can't see them so I'll leave it alone :) 

I'm still undecided on the scheme for the Sea Hurricane, the IIC will be in night fighter guise.

Sean

I built the Sea Hurricane, it's a good model but I built two of the Airfix Hurricanes and thought them much better.  My next Sea Hurricane will be the Airfix rather than Italeri kit.  You are doing well.  Keep it up you'll have two beautiful Hurricanes..

• Like 1

Yeah I think if I build another early Hurricane, I'll give the Airfix kit a go. It looks like a nice straightforward build.

I quite like the Italeri kit though, it's just the open panels that let it down.

Sean

7 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

Thanks. I'm just going to tidy up the seams on the nose of the Sea Hurricane. If there are any shape issues, I can't see them so I'll leave it alone :) 

I'm still undecided on the scheme for the Sea Hurricane, the IIC will be in night fighter guise.

Sean

thread on Hurricane night fighters, note the repainted 1 Sq Hurricanes

(same plane as revell box art)

4 hours ago, Mozzy19 said:

Yeah I think if I build another early Hurricane, I'll give the Airfix kit a go. It looks like a nice straightforward build.

I quite like the Italeri kit though, it's just the open panels that let it down.

Sean

Italeri need a public flogging for  their Hurricanes

see  (or don't if you want  to retain your sanity unlike me)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/&do=findComment&comment=1390213

The worst actual  outline error  is the oversize nose ring, leading to a really misshapen spinner,  the spare DH  from the  Airfix kit would probably help.

At least the decals are interesting.....   bear in mind The Works are knocking out the new tool  Airfix Mk.I for £10, 

out of stock online, but maybe  still in some branches,  and it has all the bits to do Sea Hurricane I (and trop Mk.I)  so could  use up some of those leftover decals. 

Kits look good so far Sean,  glad your  enjoying them.

Edited by Troy Smith
add details and links
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info Troy. I've ordered an Airfix Hurricane (and a Spitfire Mk I, I feel another dual build coming...) so I'll see what the DH prop looks like on the Sea Hurricane as I don't think I'll be able to cut the nose up particularly as it's all glued and set. If it still looks off I might use some tinfoil draped over the nose to cover the worst of it.

Sean

• Like 1

I decided I needed to try something different for me for filling these seams. The joins were quite shallow so my usual fillers didn't adhere well and came away when sanded. So I got some Mr Dissolved Putty which arrived today and applied it this morning so we'll see how that turns out.

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Sean

• Like 3

A quick comparison between the Italeri DH prop and the Airfix DH prop. The Airfix one definitely looks better, the Italeri one looks too bloated and stubby.

Italeri is the darker grey, Airfix is lighter grey.

IMG_1093.jpg

In other news, the Dissolved putty worked a treat on the engine cowls and wings. It didn't work so well on the Revell kit for the underside wing-fuselage join though, that requires some more putty and careful sanding to preserve the fabric effect.

Sean

When the Airfix DH spinner is put on the Italeri kit, the shape issue becomes much more obvious with a step all the way around its circumference. The Italeri one looks weird when put on the kit as well. I'm just going to hide it under a canvas cover. I lost most of the panel detail anyway when sanding so that's 2 birds with one stone :)

Airfix spinner on Italeri kit

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

Italeri kit with Italeri spinner

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

The Revell/Hasegawa kit is moving on swimmingly and I've got the Master cannon barrels on one wing as well as the radiator.

IMG_1106.jpg

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Sean

it should be noted that the real DH Hurricane spinner is slightly smaller than the nose ring, as well shown here

(the Spitfire DH unit is slightly too big, as the Spit's nose ring is bigger)

hurricane_mk1_l1592_09_of_26.jpg

even a little scraping of the nose ring may well get it 'close enough; and that Italeri spinner in blinkin' awful!

note also how the nose contours change over the nose ring parts, from a circle to  a triangle with rounded corners, from memory the Italeri is too rounded at the top,  though by the time you get to the panel break it's nearly circular

little_gransden_restoration_4_larger.jpg

Hurricane nose contours are a lot more complex than often thought,  and many kits get this wrong. 

The Italeri nose has very similar problems to the 1/24th Airfix kit, which has a 'to scale' Merlin, and an oversized nose and spinner as a result.

All 3 Hurricane spinners by Italeri are horrible BTW

I think the only real solution to the badly placed underfuselage break line of the Hase/revell is a to re skin it with scored thin plastic card, at least it's underneath!

Hase get the wing tips wrong, showing them bulged, rather than flat, which makes the wing look thick, and the tip light the wrong shape.

from our walk round

sh19.jpg

the tip shape is only really visible head on, like this

if you put  straight edge on the lines of rivets coming toward you, it's flat, the only double curve is the  very tip end skinning, the belwo also shows the nose shapes as well, loo at the upper and lower lines.

sh24.jpg

this also shows how the leading edge is flush riveted,  and then switches to mushroom head.

and this is why my Hurricane kits lie unbuilt.....  

hope of interest, your doing a grand job

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 1

They're very much of interest Troy, thanks for posting. I'll try a little bit more sanding and shaping of the Italeri nose to see if I can get it looking better. I'm going to leave the wing tips of the Hasegawa/Revell kit as it is because I don't think I'll be able to replicate the panel detail at the moment once modified. But I've got another Hasegawa kit to do as a Sea Hurricane IIC so that will be really useful when I get around to that one.

Sean

6 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

They're very much of interest Troy, thanks for posting. I'll try a little bit more sanding and shaping of the Italeri nose to see if I can get it looking better. I'm going to leave the wing tips of the Hasegawa/Revell kit as it is because I don't think I'll be able to replicate the panel detail at the moment once modified. But I've got another Hasegawa kit to do as a Sea Hurricane IIC so that will be really useful when I get around to that one.

Sean

For  the Italeri you may want to just carefully scrape some of the nose ring, bearing in mind the shape comments,  but even as it is in the pics above it looks so  much better than before

The spinners in the Italeri kit make me wince...

If  you  do another Hase,  if you bend the nose pieces in the middle, which should create a gap of about 1mm in the  middle,  this then adds a bit of curve to the top of the nose, which  is a bit flat, just leaving a small gap to fill.

The big problem for me is the fabric, I've got a Hase fuselage covered in Mr Surfacer, and tried to deal with side panel problem.

If you not an obsessive who needs to get out  more you may want to leave well alone!  

Glad the info is  of  interest, I did wonder if it was 'thread clutter',   I've  only really been getting to know the complexities of Hurricane shape over the past few  years.

cheers

T

Another thing I've noticed on the Italeri kit is the bulges on the upper cowl look far too big compared with those pictures you posted.

I'll try incorporate more of those modifications in the other Hasegawa kit as that one is a little more involved anyway with having to cut the rear fuselage for the hook insert.

Sean

I got the sky undersides on my Italeri one done last weekend. Hopefully will get some grey/slatey stuff called paint on this coming weekend. Bit concerned about the mask on my canopy. It's one of those vinyl P masks and I'm not a fan of vinyl. With it being on there for a whole week residue may cause me wailing and gnashing of teeth. As for the prop; I'm using the kit one as I really can't get that fussed. After all, it'll look like a Sea Hurricane.

I have got an old school Airfix kit but that's probably going to be donated.

One thing I noticed on mine, the leading edge light covers; one fitted perfectly, the other not so. Not at home at present so can't see model to refer to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darby said:

As for the prop; I'm using the kit one as I really can't get that fussed. After all, it'll look like a Sea Hurricane.

I have got an old school Airfix kit but that's probably going to be donated

it won't, the Italeri spinner is a vile travesty.

Otherwise the kit is reasonable in basic shapes,  but all the spinners they have made just look really bad. (they made some  horrible spinners in their Ju-87 too) 

If you have the old Airfix, use the DH Spinner out of that, technically it's  the DH Spitfire unit as fitted before the DH Hurricane unit was available, but the slightly  larger backplate will help with the oversize Italeri nose ring.  Free aftermarket, the DH spinner in the Airfix kit is not applicable to the standard Mk.I  the kit represents.

Your  model of course, but have a  look at Sean's pics , and compare  the kit parts in person.

A quick comparison between the Italeri DH prop and the Airfix DH prop. The Airfix one definitely looks better, the Italeri one looks too bloated and stubby.

Italeri is the darker grey, Airfix is lighter grey.

IMG_1093.jpg

Tonight's work mostly consisted of very careful sanding of the nose ring on the Italeri kit. I still need to do a little more work scraping the inside to make it look more like the real thing but I'm fairly satisfied with how it looks now.

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

Work on the Revell kit is mostly concentrated on the rear fuselage to wing join and fitting the Master barrels.

Sean

• Like 1

Looks really good Sean,  glad I wittered on to you, e xcellent  fix.

Anyone else, the new tool Airfix Hurricane contains two complete props and spinners,  so 'free' upgrades for the  Italeri kit are in  many a spares box.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

it won't, the Italeri spinner is a vile travesty.

Otherwise the kit is reasonable in basic shapes,  but all the spinners they have made just look really bad. (they made some  horrible spinners in their Ju-87 too) 

If you have the old Airfix, use the DH Spinner out of that, technically it's  the DH Spitfire unit as fitted before the DH Hurricane unit was available, but the slightly  larger backplate will help with the oversize Italeri nose ring.  Free aftermarket, the DH spinner in the Airfix kit is not applicable to the standard Mk.I  the kit represents.

Your  model of course, but have a  look at Sean's pics , and compare  the kit parts in person.

You're right it is my model and to be honest

• Like 1

The Italeri kit threw one more curveball at me before I was able to paint the underside. I managed to lose one half of the chin intake so I had to scratch build a new piece which was mildly tricky because it's so small. It's ok from the sides but a little rough from the underside. Once that had been dealt with I then gave it a couple of coats of Revell Sky.

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

I've also managed to get a couple of coats of Tar black on the underside of the Revell kit.

IMG_1124.jpg

Sean

• Like 1

Good recovery on that missing part. Sod's law decrees it will turn up after it's all done and dusted. Got the canopy glued down on mine today as well as a coat of Slatey grey type stuff then realised I'd left the internal grab handles off the inside of the canopy. Oh well.

• Like 1