The Cheapskates Guide to Modelling Tools.

Gorby

And my pièce de résistance - this nail technician airbrush for 5 whole pounds

Nail_Tech_Airbrush.jpg

At that price, I thought disposable - when it's wrecked just buy another. 

And it's guaranteed for two years, so I can't go wrong!

Frequent use, and good results  -  now in its fifth year of service.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
too much information
  • Like 4

On 11. 07. 2017. at 5:07 PM, Gorby said:

Having said that, a few days ago I saw a home made model aircraft stand that was significantly better than mine. So if this one doesn't work – it's bin time.

Would you please share the link to the other stand?

Vedran

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:41 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

My disk cutter 2 whole pounds from The Works.

Got one of those, surprisingly good !

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2017 at 7:35 PM, Gorby said:

I do use a lazier method - wrapping wet'n'dry around rat-tailed files to get the right shape, but it can be a bit cumbersome. So thanks for the idea, I may give your method a try.  

You guys might love this, I found them quite by accident. These are pencil sized cuticle sanders. They have basically a little stone on the end, which is round in shape, but cut off on a 45 degree angle, giving you a nice little accurate sanding tip for hard to reach places. You can find them on ebay and other nail solution stores. I have mine on order, so I have not tested them yet, but when I do, I will post a review. As they are cheap Asian good, they probably are not the greatest quality, they won't last forever. But as you say, they're cheap as chips!

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 11:07 PM, Gorby said:

@Beardie 

Never heard of Magic erasers before but after having a bit of a peruse, you may be right. I'll see if I can interest Mrs. Gorby so they don't show up as 'modelling expenditure'.

@Head in the clouds. 

The model stand hasn't seen action yet, but I hope that it will be able to adjust to fit most aircraft with just the pencils in the photo. If not the multiple pencil approach may be necessary. Having said that, a few days ago I saw a home made model aircraft stand that was significantly better than mine. So if this one doesn't work – it's bin time.

You may be interested in another one of my little inventions that is still in the brainstage, but I have most of the parts required. Have a look around at the mall, go to one of those cell phone gadget stores. They sell little tripods with adjustable legs. I have one that I got free with a cell phone. It's pretty much useless as a camera tripod, but turn it upside down, mount it to a board or other suitably stable surface, add some Blu-Tack and viola, instant aircraft stand!

At least that is the idea, which again I got from this thread. Back then, I was very new here and a little gun shy with comments, now I don't care and comment all the time!

Cheers, Anthony

PS. I am planning to make my own sprue holder using my table saw to build up grooves on a board by cutting strips from one board and attaching to another in appropriate gaps. That alone is a savings of 20 dollars when compared to the "modelers sprue organizer" you can buy at the hobby shop. They may have a fancy one, but function over form is my first rule, second is how much money I can save, and spend on kits over tools.

• Like 3