Jet Provost T3

DAG058

Here I have the Airfix Jet Provost T3 in 1/72 scale.

After a few recent big 1/48 scale builds I fancied something small and quick to rebuild the mojo. This kit fits the bill! I plan to build it in a flying configuration and mount it on a pole.

The kit itself looks very nice. Good detail and finely made as per Airfix recent releases. Unfortunately when I first opened the box I was sad to find no decals. After contacting Airfix for help they told me to get in touch with the company who sold me it. Luckily the good people at Hattons were fantastic and had a set of decals sent to me within a day or two, top marks Hattons!

resized_95b6db06-152b-419e-ad6a-156a639c

resized_195d61ad-a078-43f7-bda2-291ec131

resized_d9d5a590-f545-4f76-a9bf-ac29846a

As you can see there is not a great deal in the box which is perfect for me. I plan to go straight OOB. Life has become quite hectic recently and hopefully this build can cruise along nicely in the background.  

Feel free to join me on the build and comment or question along the way! Thanks for looking. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The build phase is complete.

resized_9b437377-08a9-45f2-8220-6e158196

I managed to throw it together pretty quickly, there is not a great deal of parts. Some sanding and filling was required around the seams. Priming will be next.

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 2

If you're doing XM413 in the grey and Dayglo scheme you will need decal softener on the nose bars and wing leading edge decals: hot water also helps to get the decals round the curves.  

I notice that you've replaced the tip tank noses with clear plastic: the covers are quite heavily tinted on the real aeroplane so a few coats of your chosen "clear red" and "clear green" will be needed.  

Are you planning to add the two small cooling air intakes on the rear of the engine access doors on top of the fuselage?  I've made some from scraps of 40 thou plasticard filed and sanded to shape and with the front faces drilled and (very trepidatiously) filed out after installation.  They're not shown on the box artwork but a punt round the Walkarounds page on this site will show you what's needed.

Thanks for the advice Steve, I am no expert on the JP so it is very welcome. 

I plan on building XM461 in the red and white scheme, mostly

because what I have heard about the dayglo decals. I also fancy trying some narrow masking with the curves of the JP. 

I'll have a look into the cooling intakes, I hadn't considered it but I will now, thank you! 

Be careful with the cooling scoops, those on the T3 were smaller than those used on the T4 and T5 although they were in the same position.

Stever219, the tailplanes on a T4/5 are different to those on a T3, the obvious difference is the shape of the elevator horn.  This was discussed along with the cooling scoops and other differences on a thread in the Cold War thread and there were some good pictures put up but they're gone now (and this was before the PB business), see here and here.

Edited by Wez
links added

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All painted up! There is a bit of bleed so some touching up will be required.

I'm not too sure what I'll be doing with regards to a gloss coat. I quite fancy trying the new green Flory polishing sanders to see if I'll get a nice finish. My only concern with that would be the red pigment coming off and transferring onto the white.

222f2022-f762-43f0-a7b4-9093f7c17f97.JPG

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

Looking pretty darn fine there mate. Certainly better than my T.4!

Yours is looking very nice!

I touched up the bleed lines and I have fitted the antennas. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the gloss situation. 

1 hour ago, DAG058 said:

Be careful with the cooling scoops, those on the T3 were smaller than those used on the T4 and T5 although they were in the same position.

Stever219, the tailplanes on a T4/5 are different to those on a T3, the obvious difference is the shape of the elevator horn.  This was discussed along with the cooling scoops and other differences on a thread in the Cold War thread and there were some good pictures put up but they're gone now (and this was before the PB business), see here and here.

Edited July 13 by Wez
links added

Thanks Wez: I've just reacquired this thread so I'll have a shufti at the linked bits in a mo.  With my fat fingers doing new intakes smaller than those on the JP 5 was always going to be problematical at best.  Thankfully my first T4 hasn't reached tailplane installation yet, but all three T3s have already got theirs.

DAG058 you're making better progress with your red/white/grey jet than I am with mine, but it looks like you've got red on the inboard end of the upper surfaces of your flaps (out to the outer edge of the walkway areas).  The entire flap should be Light Aircraft Grey, so a quick remedial squirt before you gloss might be in order.

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

DAG058 you're making better progress with your red/white/grey jet than I am with mine, but it looks like you've got red on the inboard end of the upper surfaces of your flaps (out to the outer edge of the walkway areas).  The entire flap should be Light Aircraft Grey, so a quick remedial squirt before you gloss might be in order.

Nice spot, thank you! I just had a look at some reference shots so I should be good to go. Good timing too, I missed a bit on the tail plane so I'll get both masked up and painted tomorrow. Thanks again! 

My pleasure.  I have a soft spot for the JP, having spent nearly half a week "helping out" on the line at Cranwell during my first annual camp with the CCF.  By then all of the jets were in red/white/grey, with some of the Mk. 5s in Poachers colours.  The flaps featured muchly in our activities, being adjacent to the ends of the walkways and most definitely NOT to be walked on.

I can still remember getting a face full of AVTUR when the refuelling nozzle slipped out of the filler hole and 50 gallons a minute worth  was unevenly distributed over wing, concrete and me for a split second.  Thankfully the bonding wire stayed in and my liney mentor whipped me off to the line office for an eye bath from the first aid kit.  No thoughts of suing him, the RAF, BAC, the cadet force, the school or Uncle Tom Cobley in those (happier, simpler) days; we just got on with it and I was back out to the next jet in about 15 minutes (a good strong coffee helped too, even on a nice hot sunny afternoon).

My red/white/grey JP is intended to represent XM463 whose fuselage is now a hapless "hands on" exhibit at Hendon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

My pleasure.  I have a soft spot for the JP, having spent nearly half a week "helping out" on the line at Cranwell during my first annual camp with the CCF.  By then all of the jets were in red/white/grey, with some of the Mk. 5s in Poachers colours.  The flaps featured muchly in our activities, being adjacent to the ends of the walkways and most definitely NOT to be walked on.

I can still remember getting a face full of AVTUR when the refuelling nozzle slipped out of the filler hole and 50 gallons a minute worth  was unevenly distributed over wing, concrete and me for a split second.  Thankfully the bonding wire stayed in and my liney mentor whipped me off to the line office for an eye bath from the first aid kit.  No thoughts of suing him, the RAF, BAC, the cadet force, the school or Uncle Tom Cobley in those (happier, simpler) days; we just got on with it and I was back out to the next jet in about 15 minutes (a good strong coffee helped too, even on a nice hot sunny afternoon).

My red/white/grey JP is intended to represent XM463 whose fuselage is now a hapless "hands on" exhibit at Hendon.

I on the other hand know very little about JPs, apart from the fact that I like them! I have seen the very one you are modelling, I couldn't get close enough for decent look though as a swarm of kids were all over it, at least they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I tried the polishing stick technique. It worked very well, buffing the paint to a glossy finish. However it also did what I feared, some of the red pigment transferred onto the white. I don't think it would be a problem on most models, however the contrast between the white and red meant that it showed up. I managed to clean it up and I'll give it a blast of gloss varnish tomorrow to save me chasing my tail.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good now, but you've got your work cut out masking the anti-glare panel without pulling the decals off (guess how I know).  I've never managed to get the demarcation between red and white quite right either, but yours looks pretty good from here.

• Like 1

What a lovely job. I have made the same kit in the grey version, but would now like a go at the red and white. Do you have any tips on getting good demarkation lines? And may I ask how you do the clear plastic tips on the wing tanks. I noticed white tack: is that just for masking? Cheers, Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrish said:

What a lovely job. I have made the same kit in the grey version, but would now like a go at the red and white. Do you have any tips on getting good demarkation lines? And may I ask how you do the clear plastic tips on the wing tanks. I noticed white tack: is that just for masking? Cheers, Chris

I used Tamiya curve masking tape to get the line. I think it would be tricky using standard masking tape around the nose area. It took a few attempts to get it right but it wasn't too difficult.

The wing tip lights were made using a bit of clear sprue. I cut the kit tips off with a razor saw. I then glued a small bit of sprue onto the wing tip. Using a sanding stick I worked it into shape. The paint is Tamiya clear green and red. The white tack was just for masking.