Russian Su-34 Fullback Fighter-Bomber - 1:72 Trumpeter

Paul A H

Russian Su-34 Fullback Fighter-Bomber

1:72 Trumpeter

su34_01.jpg

The Sukhoi Su-34, known by the NATO reporting name 'Fullback' is an all-weather strike fighter, designed to replace the ageing Su-24 Fencer in Russian service. Despite being based on an existing design (the Su-27), the type endured an extremely protracted development, punctuated by the collapse of the Soviet Union. Eventually, 200 of the type are expected to enter service, replacing approximately 300 Su-24s. There are many differences between the Su-27 and the Su34, principal amongst which is a completely new nose, which accomodates the crew side-by-side. Since September 2015, Su-34s have been involved in the conflict in Syria, dropping BETAB-500 and OFAB-500 bombs. There has already been interest in the type from overseas customers. Algeria has ordered an initial batch of 12 aircraft, while Vietnam is apparently also interested in the type.

This kit represents another high-profile release from the Trumpeter stable. Following hot on the heels of their gorwing range of Su-27 variants, as well as the 1:48 Su-34 from Hobbyboss, the kit has been fairly warmly received by fans of modern Russian hardware, save from the fairly well known issue with the shape of the nose. The kit arrives in a fairly large box, inside which are a fairly staggering 550 parts spread across 34 sprues of grey plastic (not including the upper and lower fuselage/wing parts, which are not on a sprue) and a single clear sprue. You have to hand it to Trumpeter, they know how to cram a lot of plastic into a box! The parts are well protected and the quality of moulding is up to the usual Trumpeter standard, with fine, consistent panel lines and plenty of detail. 

su34_02.jpg

su34_03.jpg

su34_04.jpg

The overall shape and arrangement of parts appears to match photographs and plans of the real aircraft well, with the only exception being the shape of the nose. Some modellers have commented that this could be improved with a little work with a sanding stick, but I'm not so sure. No doubt someone will pop up with a resin replacement before too long, however. Construction begins with the cockpit. This is made up of sixteen parts, including two crisply moulded K36 ejection seats. The cockpit is well detailed and includes a door in the rear bulkhead which leads to the nose gear bay and crew access point. The nose gear bay itself is made up of seven parts and is just as well detailed as the cockpit. Both sub-assemblies fit into the lower fuselage, while the parts for the main landing gear bay fit into the upper fuselage. With this done the upper and lowe fusealge halves can be joined.

As with most kits of blended-wing aircraft, the fuselage is split vertically with the entire wing moulded in place. The fences for the outer wing are all present and correct. The canards, vertical tail and tail boom are next. The rudders are moulded seperately, but can't be posed off centre as they have large tabs that lock them into place. The upper tail boom is moulded seperately and there is a cutout for the APU vent. The wing flaps and elevators are next, along with the multi-part engine exhausts. These are well detailed and slot into the fuselage up to their real depth. 

su34_05.jpg

su34_06.jpg

su34_07.jpg

su34_08.jpg

su34_09.jpg

su34_10.jpg

Next up is the rugged landing gear. Each main gear leg is moulded from five parts, with the uppermost part of the main leg seperate from the rest of the leg. I have to say that the structural strength of this breakdown concerns me a little. The complex nose gear leg is made up of seven parts, with an optional crew access ladder. The engine air intakes are next. These are partly slide moulded, which makes construction relatively pain free. Engine turbine faces are included, which will prevent the dreaded see-through effect. As the build draws to a conclusion, the pylons have to be added. The canopy is nicely realised and very cleanly moulded.

su34_22.jpg

su34_11.jpg

su34_12.jpg

su34_13.jpg

su34_14.jpg

su34_15.jpg

su34_16.jpg

su34_17.jpg

su34_18.jpg

su34_19.jpg

su34_20.jpg

su34_21.jpg

This kit famously includes a quite frankly ludicrous amount of weaponry. This probably accounts for at least a third of the asking price, but who doesn't like spare ordnance? All told, you get:
2 x KH-31 Krypton air-to-surface missiles;
2 x KH-58 Kilter anti-radiation missiles;
2 x KH-59 Ovod cruise missiles;
2 x KMGU-2 munitions dispenser;
12 x FAB-100 bombs;
2 x KAB-500L bombs;
2 x KAB-1500L bombs;
2 x KAB-1500T bombs;
2 x R-27T infrared homing air-to-air missiles;
2 x R-27R semi-active radar homing air-to-air missiles;
2 x R-27ET extended range infrared homing air-to-air missiles;
2 x R-27ER extended range semi-active radar homing air-to-air missiles;
2 x R-73E infrared homing air-to-air missiles;
2 x R-77 active radar homing air-to-air missiles;
2 x R-172 'AWACS killer' air-to-air missiles;
2 x PTB-3000 drop tanks; and
2 x APK-9 data link pods.

Decal options are provided for two Russian Air Force Su-34s, one in the blue/blue/green disruptive pattern and the other in the much less pleasing dark grey over blue finish that the aircraft operating in Syria wore. Decals are also included for the pile of ordnance. The decals look nicely printed and should perform well. 

su34_23.jpg

su34_24.jpg

Conclusion

This is an interesting kit which will probably divide opinion. It's big, complex, well detailed and includes a very generous selection of ordnance. On the other hand, it's not that cheap and it has a wonky nose. Whether you decide to take the plunge will depend very much on whether you think the kit represents value for money, as well as how much you care about the nose (or how much time or money you are willing to spend fixing it). Whichever route you choose, you will be rewarded with an impressive kit. Now let's hope some more foreign governments splash out on the real thing so we can have some more impressive marking options.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gifUK Distributors for logo.jpg
  • Like 8

Thank you for the review, Paul. Looks very tempting, just like all other Russian aircraft recently released by Trumpeter. However, I already have the Italeri Su-34 kit and it won't be built soon, so this will remain in the wish list for a while.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Paul,

Got the kit already, and impressive it is, really.

I've seen that a resin replacement nose is on the way, can't remember the name.

Only drawback, Russian only camo option... But I can't blame Trumpeter.

Many thanks for this interesting review. The parts seem to include a couple of strokes missed by the Italeri kit (the thin 'fillets' in front of the wing roots, for example), and include the facility to open the cockpit access door and sliding hatch in the nose gear bay for a see-through effect, if you like that sort of thing. Having said that, the modeller would want to scratch all the gubbins in the area behind the cockpit as all that would be visible too.

Not my photo.

And there are STILL no BetAb 500 SHPs in the box (or anywhere else in this scale, for that matter!). A lot, certainly, but maybe not quite enough for the money.

Give it a few weeks and see what happens on eBay! 

13 hours ago, Paul A H said:

The upper tail boom is moulded seperately and there is a cutout for the APU vent.

Excellent review, Paul - many thanks.

I'm a bit intrigued by your comment about the tailboom APU - is there a hole in the top rear for the APU exhaust?? - I can't make it out in the photos.

What I can see is a part to represent the mesh APU intake that is on the port side of the tailboom - but no recess in which to fit it.

Can you clarify please???

I'm not sure whether to get it or not - I've already heavily modified the Italeri kit... http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_su-34.html

I'll probably succumb and get - but I'll wait for the price to drop first.

Here's my pic of the tail boom - the APU intake is under the red cover, its exhaust is what looks like a spring-loaded 'flap' - the white part with the silver surround above the white rear-facing radar.....

Real%20012.JPG

Ken

Has any of you got both the Italeri and the Trumpeter Su-34 in the stash?

I wonder if one could just cut off the nose from the Italeri kit and graft it to the Trumpeter fuselage? I am thinking here about the dimensions of the cross section in the fuselage where the nose starts.

I noticed Antoine mentioning a resin upgrade coming up, but I try to avoid using resin whenever possible and as I already have the Italeri kit...

Cheers,

Niki

Edited by niki

On 07/07/2017 at 3:33 PM, niki said:

Has any of you got both the Italeri and the Trumpeter Su-34 in the stash?

I purchased the Trumpeter kit today - and I already have the Revell boxing of the Italeri kit.

When I get some time, I'll do a comparison between the two and get back to you.

Ken

• Like 1