Unicraft YO-3A 1/72

hsr

I cannot believe there is a kit of the Yo Yo out there. Granted, from your pictures, stating it is a kit is a bit of an extension.  I have always wanted to find one of these to make. They were facscinating in Vietnam as they could be 100 feet above your head and if there was a breeze, you would not know they were there. From the ground, the only way you could tell one was around is if you noticed the obscure, low key vibration sound that was not a natural rhythm sound emitted in the jungle.  It was more of a feeling than sound itself. I only realized they were observing us maybe half the times they were which was unusual as much didn't get past me. So far, you are doing a tremendous job of putting together plastic blobs with just a semblance to kit parts. There was more than one camo scheme for them even though I don't think more than about 10 aircraft were ever present at one time. Do you know what you will use as your paint scheme?

• Like 2

I am going to be doing a 2 tone wrap around scheme using FS 36251 and FS 36081. I only use Humbrol paint so that will be HU32 and HU126.

Thanks

Howard

Edited by hsr
  • Like 1

I think I found some replacements I can use and I came up with an idea for the spinner. I'll know more tomorrow.

Thanks

I managed to mask and spray the second color today. Unfortunately there was some breakage as I had feared. Not the tail, but I managed to break off the right wing  :crying:, twice :cry:

EJGQOMPf_o.jpg

The first time during masking I dropped it:yikes: so it was fairly easy to fix and then mask so that the repaired area was painted the second color. But then it broke again when I was removing the mask. The original gluing was done with epoxy so I would be able to adjust the fit. The first break I fixed with super glue and that seemed strong enough, but I guess it wasn't. Not sure how I will fix this second break.

On the positive side I think I have a solution to the spinner problem using the tip of a spare fuel tank.

1TVwHNQu_o.jpg

Tomorrow is another day

• Like 3

So drilled a few small holes in the wing and wing root in the hopes that glue will fill these and make the joint stronger. I then mixed up some more epoxy and it is now whole again

UZRz0Djr_o.jpg

U4Ap8QPN_o.jpg

I am going to let the epoxy harder overnight and then sand and smooth the seams. I think I will brush paint the thinned paint in several light coats rather the mask and spray again

• Like 4

So yesterday I blended in the repair. After thinking about it I concluded that I would need to prime the now bare sections of resin before I can paint over them. So I decided to repeat the process of priming and then respraying the 2 primary colors. I just hope that I don't repeat the part about breaking something off again.  I will not bore you with posting new pictures that look identical to ones I posted a few days ago so I won't be documenting that process. 

I was able to cobble together a satisfactory prop and spinner after several abortive attempt

vMEnAPj7_o.jpg

Hopefully I will be back in a couple of days with some real progress.

• Like 3

I'm baaack. :happy:. I have recovered from the broken wing and have repainted the  the camouflage colors and some of the details.

HN8YQv4c_o.jpg

wBHbOR0Q_o.jpg

8smGNZLc_o.jpg

As long as I don't break it again :shocked: I should spray gloss for the few decals tomorrow , apply them Friday and finish with a flat coat and final assembly Saturday:fingerscrossed:.

Back then if all goes well

• Like 5

Admit it; you threw away the original "kit" and scratch built a replacement, didn't you?

An astonishing transformation, which (as you say) somewhat redefines "unbuildable"...

Bravo, sir!

• Like 2

Thanks guys, but so much can go wrong between now and the finish line I don't want to claim victory until it is done-done.

I have a 1/72 Merlin Models HOK-1 in the stash. It must be in the running for worst ever plastic model kit ever released. The Andy Pack King Air has nothing on it! It appears that there is a reasonable kit hiding under all the flash and roughness in this YO-3 Unicraft kit. I'm not sure the Merlin Models kit can be turned into anything resembling an aircraft. Ironically, I think Unicraft have a Kaman HOK-1 in the offing!:thumbsup: 

This YO-3 build is a great example of the fact that there is more to modelling than the latest Airfix/Hasegawa (etc) kit. There is all sorts of exotica out there if you are prepared to put in the work. This build is a good lesson in what can be achieved with a seemingly unbuildable model kit.

BM.  

• Like 3

My guess is that Unicraft kits start out good, but their molds deteriorate quickly and rather then waste more RTV for a limited run kit they just push them too hard and this is the result. So if you can get one when it first is release it will probably be much better. In this case I guess the molds were a bit long in the tooth, but there were good parts in there just waiting to be released from all that flash.

Thanks

Howard

• Like 2

I never heard of it either until I picked up a copy of Squadrons U.S. Army Aviation in Vietnam and it had a small section and some pictures. So when I saw there was a kit of it, I just had to have it.

Thanks

Howard

Edited by hsr
fixed book title

That is a pretty incredible job on some very unpromising materiel. Looked at Unicraft kits in the past, but they have never done much that excites me enough to part with the cash. Butt joints on resin kits (or on injection moulded for that matter) I always think area bit iffy and i drill holes and superglue or epoxy some brass rod to stiffen the joint up

• Like 1

I just read the whole build thread.

Take a bow, well done :worthy: .

It's quite inspiring to see that 'Angel Delight' transformed into a very interesting and individual scale model aircraft. This reminds me of a quote attributed to Michaelangelo:

"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

In this case, it's resin, not stone :winkgrin:.

Superglue seems to go very brittle; I had a problem like yours with a couple of kits last year. I know what you mean about drilling into the very narrow wing. I resorted to buying a tiny 0.2mm drill and some wire. It has held since. I thought I'd mention it 'just in case'.

Very nice work, thanks for sharing the build,

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1