Heroes of Kosciuszko - Red 56 - RIAT 2015 **Will not be finished**

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Valkyrie said:

Like the detail provided for people to avoid difficulties and how to solve them, invaluable. 

Thanks - that's how we all learn!

And now a couple of update shots, firstly underside rear covers

20170801_155651

quite a bit of filling / sanding needed to get a decent joint between rear of trunking and front edge of engine covers.  Don't worry about some rougher seams on the lower / inner joints - these will be hidden by the fuel tank!

And now a general shot with most major parts attached but some small areas to be tidied up:

20170801_155605

One more error in the instructions; the tail fin extensions (H1 & H6) have pins underneath but there are no holes in the upper fuselage, nor instructions to drill holes out BEFORE glueing fuselage together - bet you can't guess how I noticed this omission!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Recent efforts have focussed on tidying up seams etc and adding all the "sticky out" bits!  Think I'm just about at the final priming stage and then hopefully some authentic colours.  So a couple of full airframe shots - realised that I'd put the air scoops in the wrong places on the engine covers, so managed to slice them off and re-position them

20170813_180916

20170813_180855

and a couple of close ups of aerials etc

20170813_181300

20170813_181446

I used the kit pitot but have managed to breake it twice - if it happens again will just get a brass replacement!  Also decided not to use my turned brass static dischargers but there's always the Su-27 build coming up soon...............

• Like 4

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, FortyEighter said:

Thanks - that's how we all learn!

And now a couple of update shots, firstly underside rear covers

20170801_155651

quite a bit of filling / sanding needed to get a decent joint between rear of trunking and front edge of engine covers.  Don't worry about some rougher seams on the lower / inner joints - these will be hidden by the fuel tank!

And now a general shot with most major parts attached but some small areas to be tidied up:

20170801_155605

One more error in the instructions; the tail fin extensions (H1 & H6) have pins underneath but there are no holes in the upper fuselage, nor instructions to drill holes out BEFORE glueing fuselage together - bet you can't guess how I noticed this omission!!

I noticed that when I went to fir mine. I found the rear one but not the forward one, and as you say there was nowt in the instructions. The other thing was that the parts were also indicated to fit on the wrong sides in the instructions.

This build continues to get better.

• Like 2

If you're wondering why there's been no activity on this thread for a month, firstly I've been concentrating on two other group builds (one is in the background) and secondly I've hit a problem:

20170909_135109

As you can see in the photo, there is a nasty sunken area on the nosecone.  Having filled the cone  with micro lead shot I then put some filler over the inner end (to ensure that if any of the shot came loose it wouldn't rattle around) before gluing the cone to fuselage.  Unfortunately there appears to be some chemical reaction going on inside the cone which is melting the plastic from the inside!

I've filled the sunken section and smoothed it off twice in the last couple of weeks but the defect has reappeared both times.

Guess I need to contemplate cutting the whole nosecone off the model and replacing with a resin casting, unless anyone has any other suggestion - all ideas are very welcome

• Sad 1

Not sure of any fixes but same thing happened to my Ukrainian 29 build as I stuffed the intakes with filler to help weight it down. It has seemingly stopped warping and I think il hide with an oil leak or battle damage.

yeah large amounts of filler will do than unfortunately! One of the unfortunate issues with filler also in large quantities it will shrink and crack over time. In this case it has softened the plastic and started to shrink. The best thing for holding nose weights in is CA glue or even plastacine will work.  

Just give a few days to settle down, you an try drilling a small hole to see if that helps, then you're just have to fill it. It shouldn't be a big job and remember to mask off the area behind the radome, that'll make repainting much easier.

Try to use filler for only minor stuff, thin plastic sprue or thin sheet are your best friends for filling all the bigger stuff.  

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, Valkyrie said:

Not sure of any fixes but same thing happened to my Ukrainian 29 build as I stuffed the intakes with filler to help weight it down. It has seemingly stopped warping and I think il hide with an oil leak or battle damage.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, lasermonkey said:

I suspect that the solvent in the filler isn't able to boil off, as it has nowhere to go. I'd be tempted to drill a small hole or two near where the issue is,  which should enable the solvent to evaporate.

Cheers,

Mark.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, trickyrich said:

yeah large amounts of filler will do than unfortunately! One of the unfortunate issues with filler also in large quantities it will shrink and crack over time. In this case it has softened the plastic and started to shrink. The best thing for holding nose weights in is CA glue or even plastacine will work.  

Just give a few days to settle down, you an try drilling a small hole to see if that helps, then you're just have to fill it. It shouldn't be a big job and remember to mask off the area behind the radome, that'll make repainting much easier.

Try to use filler for only minor stuff, thin plastic sprue or thin sheet are your best friends for filling all the bigger stuff.  

Thanks guys for your suggestions, had thought of drilling some holes but.... meanwhile I had found a resin nose in the spares box so decided to go down the cut and replace route.  The resin nose needed some fettling to match the fuselage but am now at the fully primed, micromeshed and ready for paint stage (not forgetting to prime all the gear doors so they can be sprayed at the same time:

20170915_171317

And I also had an excuse to add a decent brass pitot!!

• Like 5

Regarding chemical reactions with lead, I've read that CA tends to react with lead in the long term (years) with similar results of sunken areas in the plastic. It seems the best option is to use miliput to hold the lead in place.

Great work on the Mig, by the way! The cockpit detail was specially impressive!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jrlx said:

Regarding chemical reactions with lead, I've read that CA tends to react with lead in the long term (years) with similar results of sunken areas in the plastic. It seems the best option is to use miliput to hold the lead in place.

Had something similar happen a while back when trying to glue lead shot into a nose cone. Now I use blu-tack instead  to keep the lead shot in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Underside has now been sprayed and she is now sitting on all three legs:

20170926_171124

Have also attached all the gear doors:

20170926_171206

Now working on the HUD, so that canopies can be masked and attached before spraying the first coat on the upperside.

Progress has been slow as I've concentrated on finishing my VC-10s for the "Made in Britain" build - so not sure if this one will meet the deadline, especially as I don't want to rush the painting and decaling.

• Like 3

You've done so well and it's perfect till now, shame to rush her as shel b awesome when done. Been a great build over the piece and I'd certainly still be watching if you don't manage the deadline. I'm struggling too but mine is not near your level...

• Like 1

I agree with Valkyrie: don't rush the build, just keep going with the same level of care and attention till it's finished.

I'm not finishing in time as well but as my entry is my first build with a lot of resin detailing, I decided not to rush it.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

On 26/09/2017 at 7:10 PM, Valkyrie said:

You've done so well and it's perfect till now, shame to rush her as shel b awesome when done. Been a great build over the piece and I'd certainly still be watching if you don't manage the deadline. I'm struggling too but mine is not near your level...

On 26/09/2017 at 9:43 PM, jrlx said:

I agree with Valkyrie: don't rush the build, just keep going with the same level of care and attention till it's finished.

I'm not finishing in time as well but as my entry is my first build with a lot of resin detailing, I decided not to rush it.

Cheers

Jaime

16 hours ago, Jabba said:

As others have already said do not rush this just to beat a deadline. Applying the large badge decals on the upper fuselage does take a lot of concentration.

Thanks for your comments, I thought that meeting the deadline was a long shot and have now decided it won't be finished this weekend.

Will take my time on painting and decals whilst working on my F-15E (and perhaps a Flanker too).

• Like 1

• FortyEighter changed the title to Heroes of Kosciuszko - Red 56 - RIAT 2015 **Will not be finished**

I agree with everyone else, don't rush her to make a deadline, I love the work you're done so far, so don't stuff it all up trying to make a deadline!!

What you've done looks great, am looking forward to further updates as you find time. All the threads well be kelp open so just post as and when you can. 

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I agree with everyone else, don't rush her to make a deadline, I love the work you're done so far, so don't stuff it all up trying to make a deadline!!

What you've done looks great, am looking forward to further updates as you find time. All the threads well be kelp open so just post as and when you can. 

Thanks Rich and also for being a great host:clap2:

Will update this thread as and when there is anything to post