Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

I think this explains why those of us with grandfathered Plus accounts are not yet seeing any issues. From their latest blog:

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 06/07/2017 at 8:31 PM, Mike said:

How's everyone getting on with copying their photos back?  I know a few people are having trouble downloading them, after speaking to @Dads203 yesterday, he's having a torrid time trying to download his albums back to his PC, even though he was a paying customer. :fraidnot:

It's quite frustrating Mike.

For me, if an album is quite large, the download quits part way through. It simply stops downloading.

One album has 1232 images, mainly related to two BM WIP's; three Lagg 3 and three I-16's. I haven't given up on those builds and want to continue the WIP's in the future, selecting from the best of the photographs.

I don't have time to think about my 'text/image' flow now, so to just download the lot would be lovely.

No luck. Tried for five hours yesterday. I've resorted to one photo at a time.

Albums of around one to 80 pictures have worked.

Best regards

TonyT

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I think this explains why those of us with grandfathered Plus accounts are not yet seeing any issues. From their latest blog:

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription.

Cheers,

Bill

Still slightly unfamiliar with some facets of the English language. I'm under the impression that

enjoy a privilege = get a service

escaped me so far.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike said:

I noticed you'd got a LOT of text in your Interests section, so I've moved that into About Me, and while I was there, I removed that ransom message too.  The advice above still holds when you want to add another photo (or words) in the future.  Just edit the Signature field like you would an ordinary post :)

Thanks Mike I'll try to keep it down to a reasonable level in future.

John

Edited by Biggles87

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Some weird stuff going on with PB, my last WIP thread for the DH mega build all disappeared into ransome notes but now the last three photos in the thread have come back.<_< I think I'll still migrate but in the meantime I'll keep an eye on these to see if they disappear again.

Steve.

Nope, all gone again. Wondered for a moment if they weren't softening their stance. Seems not. :(

Steve.

42 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Nope, all gone again. Wondered for a moment if they weren't softening their stance. Seems not. :(

Steve.

It might just have been that your "subscription" rolled over to a new month and you got your pifling "allowance" back... you blinked, and it was gone! :tumble:

When I say subscription, I mean your anniversary date... I'm guessing they meter your 3rd party links from the same day each month based on your joining date. :)

• Like 1

Looks like photobucket has caught up with me.

Just spent a couple of hours updating the picture links in my Eagle build having moved them over to Flickr.

What a pain...

Karl

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, Mike said:

links

Why can't we have a system of posting pictures direct from our hard drives like we can on Facebook ? Probably a good reason but something I know zilch about. All the forums I've ever been on are the same as BM so it must be hard to do and  expensive.

Can you explain it to me  Mike? Please

How do I do the @Mike wow just like that! didn't expect that !

Duty thick'ead!

Edited by bzn20

Basically by linking BM doesn't get filled up with photos data.  Facebook can afford the server space, presumably photobucket have decided they can't for free any more.

Mike and the BM gang probably just wouldn't be able to afford or deal with the complexity of hosting photos as well (if they even wanted to) I imagine they'd prefer to do some modelling occasionally.

I have worked on the Data Centres that host servers and basically run the internet.  You probably wouldn't believe the cost, complexity and sheer power required!

Edited by malpaso

You are right about the expense but not so right about Mike and the BM gang.  BM is all Mike;  the brains; the inspiration and the expertise - plus of course, all the sleepless nights checking and correcting all the code to make BM look so good for us.   The rest of us are just Mike's little helpers and my hat goes off to him every time there is a glitch, hassle or minor tribulation as he has to litterally deal with it all himself.  :worthy:

Mike

• Like 4

It a joke , that photo bucket is already , really slow and sooo cumbersome - compared to imagevenue and imagebam ---------

they will never make that amount of money - and hopefully they will got out of business ..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bootneck said:

You are right about the expense but not so right about Mike and the BM gang.  BM is all Mike;  the brains; the inspiration and the expertise - plus of course, all the sleepless nights checking and correcting all the code to make BM look so good for us.   The rest of us are just Mike's little helpers and my hat goes off to him every time there is a glitch, hassle or minor tribulation as he has to litterally deal with it all himself.  :worthy:

Mike

:blush: Thanks Mike - that's a very nice thing to say, especially as it was done without financial inducement. :lol: You missed out the fact that it's  made by you guys in the back-room and the members.  No amount of posh forum software or fancy features makes a community.  The people do.  Without you guys it would be an echo chamber! :cwl:

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mike said:

echo chamber!

Well said Mike ike ike ike ike ike ! :D

• Like 1

Photobucket eventually caught up with me yesterday and so I will have to scour this post when considering an alternative means of linking images.

However this morning those lovely people at Photobucket sent me an e-mail advertising their direct sales website 'PB DEALS' "It's just another way for us to show our appreciation for your continued support of Photobucket!"  advertising all sorts of items ones life would be better off without although it does include the 'Illumibowl Toilet Nightlight' which they might find useful for filing their current business model when they cannot pay their electric bill.

• Like 5

On 06/07/2017 at 11:31, Mike said:

How's everyone getting on with copying their photos back?  I know a few people are having trouble downloading them, after speaking to @Dads203 yesterday, he's having a torrid time trying to download his albums back to his PC, even though he was a paying customer. :fraidnot:

I've switched to OneDrive, as I have 1Tbyte storage space included in my Office 365 subscription. I didn't have to download the pictures from PB because I keep all originals and resized pictures stored in my laptop.

I've just finished re-linking my 8 RFIs and 2 yearbook posts. I still have to re-link my WIP posts, which have several hundred pictures each... That will be a lot of work as the re-linking procedure is a bit boring. I'll start by the RFIs that I was currently working on just before the "PB crisis" and will update the others as soon as I get back to those builds. I'm now building a X-1 for the Prototypes GB (still have to post my work there) and intend to start builds in the Mirage and Mig-29 GBs, so it will take me some time to update the existing WIPs.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

That will be a lot of work as the re-linking procedure is a bit boring.

Isn't it though? :tired: The once or twice I've had to do it for whatever reason, I've found it quite tiresome, and I have access to the source of the posts, so can just copy & paste the URLs in without first having to delete the pic.  Good ole PB, wasting everyone's time since 2017 <_<

• Like 4

Just been reading about PB it's the talk on most forums, I am surprised some lawyers haven't got involved to form a class action against them, this will be the next ppi 

Despite closing my PB account, I have had two emails from them today, urging me to upgrade my account.

I plainly told them they could indulge in self gratification. I would have thought that was blunt and to the point. Thick or what?

• Like 1

Automated or what.  Fancy a man of your age insulting a computer! :lol:

Incidentally folks, if you've got a PB hosted pic in your signature or avatar, can you get it shifted so it's not bugging people, please?  Being reminded of this debacle is the last thing anyone affected will want to see after all this. :owww:

This raises the old question - why can't we host the photos ourselves as most of modelling resources do? AWS storage is cheap, Invision has all the means of uploading/managing photos, maybe it's time to reconsider old policies?