Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

Do these other sites give you the oportunity to create sub-albums? I just tried out FlickR and it appears that I can't have an album called models and sub-albums for Phantom, Sabre etc. Have I missed something?

John

I've never had any problem with Photobucket, beyond the ads and the sometime slowness.  I'm wondering if they'll let me use them as I only have a small number of pics and the linking facility is still there.

Beyond that, I know nothing and understand even less.

Martin

Martin, my PB was just 2% full and the 3rd party links were shut down some days ago already for me. It does not seem to matter if your bucket it 99% full or almost empty - the 3rd party thing is now reserved to those who pay 399 USD p.a. to Photobucket.

So unless you currently have a payed PB account you will face the same problems which have been described above. :-(

Apologies if this goes over ground already covered, but this thread has grown by several pages since I last looked.  I asked a question on the Google forum about 3rd-party hosting, and this is the answer below.

Paolo Amoroso said:

Hi Das, Google Photos doesn't unfortunately support embedding photos into websites. Any direct links to the image files of the photos are undocumented, unsupported, and may break at any time.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with Google Drive to tell whether it supports embedding but I think it doesn't.

So, that route doesn't work then.  The links seem to work even if the pictures don't display, but the answer above seems to imply that this may not be reliable or permanent.  And it kinda defeats the object.

8 hours ago, Rafbanter said:

Hi Keith

The point is not whether I have actually bought their products or not. The point is that Photobucket have been making money from charging these advertisers to spam my pages. That is where they have  in fact made a penny ( or more ) from you as well if you were ever with PB. 

Dorland

I see your point, but my counterpoint is that adblock plus blocked any third party ads from advertisers that pay money to PB, so the only ads I ever saw were the annoying ones from PB themselves when I was logged into my account. So really, the only cost to me was the second or so of my time it took before I was able to hit the red cross & close the flippin' things! But that was compensated for by the warm glow of satisfaction that I childishly got from thinking "yah boo sucks Photobucket, you're wasting your time trying to sell your tat to me...!!" :D

Keith

Just as a test....001_zpsrxungqyf.jpg

Well, isn't this 3rd party whatever?

Just uploaded this shot of my MkXIVe nose mods as a test and it does what it's always done, so I'm confused, ladies and gents.

Martin

I just discovered I can still link to my stuff on PB:

IMAG0308_zpswbkcu357.jpg

Can I read something into that? Or have they just not caught up with me yet?

If I knew how to do a screen grab I'd show what I get on PB, but it's basically exactly what I've always had. A box on the right when you click on a picture and it gets big. Left click on the box marked "direct"....it used to come up with the word "copied".  Doesn't anymore, you simply right click and then click "copy". Back to the forum, click add media and then "paste" and the URL of the pic appears in the box.  Click "add to post" or whatever it says and there it is.  So what is NOT happening for others that is happening, as ever, for me?

Martin

22 minutes ago, IanC said:

I just discovered I can still link to my stuff on PB:

Can I read something into that? Or have they just not caught up with me yet?

Yes, same here.

build%2023%202_zps02dugl9h.jpg

I've been using photobucket for a while and was getting more and more frustrated with it due to the time taken to load pics. I've just checked some of my threads and I can still see my images so maybe they've not caught up with me yet. I haven't had a ransom demand yet and usually ignore emails from them and the first time I realised something was wrong was when I was looking at old content as you do and there were a lot of threads with no images.  Then I looked and found this thread.

has anyone read their blog?

http://blog.photobucket.com/please-review-latest-changes-photobucket/

i like Iike how they describe $399 as competitive! 

This move is detrimental to historic content on the internet and I almost liken it to removing all library books from the shelves of a public library.

thankfully there are other image hosting sites out there. I'll probably end up migrating my work over to Flickr and also cover my bases by trying out other image hosting sites. 

Mark

3 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Apologies if this goes over ground already covered, but this thread has grown by several pages since I last looked.  I asked a question on the Google forum about 3rd-party hosting, and this is the answer below.

Paolo Amoroso said:

Hi Das, Google Photos doesn't unfortunately support embedding photos into websites. Any direct links to the image files of the photos are undocumented, unsupported, and may break at any time.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with Google Drive to tell whether it supports embedding but I think it doesn't.

So, that route doesn't work then.  The links seem to work even if the pictures don't display, but the answer above seems to imply that this may not be reliable or permanent.  And it kinda defeats the object.

I'm thinking along the same lines with the links not being permanent. Although I have noticed that when you right-click and Copy from Google Photos the URL's seem to change regularly, they are even different for the same image depending on the Web browser used. Despite this the images still remain linked in the posts for the most part.

Google's motive for not supporting 3rd-party hosting may be because they try to push their own inbuilt sharing tool (Share/ Get Link). Example below.

https://goo.gl/photos/gfr3GbPXGYukWSvf7     (Link will not work because I have changed the image settings so it is no longer shared)

This places the shared image in a separate Shared album and labels the image "Link Shared". Presumably this link is permanent but as you can see it doesn't embed the image in the post.

Unfortunately until Google officially supports 3rd-party hosting I think its probably best not to use them for this purpose. After all if the links go dead then your back in the same boat as you were with Photobucket.

Edited by Diggers11

I have closed my Photobucket account wef 03 Jul and wouldn't go back now, but I've still got their ransom banners on my posts, can anyone tell me how to get rid of them please? I tried the method described a few pages back but it didn't work for me.

John

You need to edit your signature John - just go into your Profile, edit and choose the signature box - mine's different from yours with me being speshul, which is why I'm being a little vague - and you should be able to remove the image. :)

15 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

can anyone tell me how to get rid of them please?

I noticed you'd got a LOT of text in your Interests section, so I've moved that into About Me, and while I was there, I removed that ransom message too.  The advice above still holds when you want to add another photo (or words) in the future.  Just edit the Signature field like you would an ordinary post :)

• Like 1

Heck with Photobucket. I've been with them as a paying member since 2008, but this is disgusting.

I'm moving to smugmug - it's a privately owned, subscription only and very professional photo site. I'm working through updating my links.

smugmug has an app to migrate pics from photobucket (and other sites) to smugmug easily. It's not working right at the moment, because photobucket hosed that up too, but hopefully that will get fixed. I have all my photos on my onw drives anyway, so I won't lose anything when I shut my PB account, but it will be nice to transfer everything.

• Like 5

I realised I already have a Flickr account via Yahoo. So here is a test using the 'Download this Photo, View all sizes, large 1024, right-click, copy, paste in post' method. I resized the image from 16-megapixels down to 3-megapixels to make it smaller before uploading to Flickr. I also changed the JPG compression to squish the file size down to below 300kb. This means that by my calculation with the free 1TB storage limit you could upload over 3 million photos. So here it goes my first attempt.

35764093945_df98332bb1_b.jpg

As simple as that. (presuming it works)

Or is it best to post the link to the original image on Flickr (2048 x 1536) instead of the large 1024 version? This way it can be viewed bigger by clicking on it.

35764093945_76b43c82ac_o.jpg

Edited by Diggers11
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, John R said:

Do these other sites give you the oportunity to create sub-albums? I just tried out FlickR and it appears that I can't have an album called models and sub-albums for Phantom, Sabre etc. Have I missed something?

John

smugmug does

they can go to about 7 levels

eg; I have

1. Portfolio- Main Album; so far 14 sub-albums

eg

Level 2; Portfolio #7 WW2 British Props

Level 3; Mosquito, [also for Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster etcetera]

not yet done - I'll be able to add further sub-sub-sub-albums to the Spitfire one for Mk.I, or Mk.V, Mk.IX etcetera

Cost of smugmug [basic] is $57.46 per year or about £46 per year

Basic covers the above and is all I require

14 days free trial, then pay or not

Its taken me a few days to check it out, start making albums; due to pay next week and I will

• Like 4