Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

On another forum a member found this site for hosting photo's which is free and unlike others it provides links specifically for forums. 

Post Image. https://postimage.io/

very simple and maybe too good to be true?

I did not know what .io as a country was and it's this
British Indian Ocean Territory
.io. Popular with startup companies; little of anything related to the territory itself. The Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) .io is assigned to the British Indian Ocean Territory. The .io domain is administered by the Internet Computer Bureau, a domain name registry company based in the United Kingdom.

Edited by Triumph

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

Word on the street is that they're going through profile by profile and as long as you haven't shared to a third-party site you're spared The Treatment.

But surely that's the whole point -  their 'ransomeware attack' is apparently only aimed at third party host links. Until I deleted all my photos & closed the account the pics were all still there & accessible, as I presume (yes, I know I shouldn't!) they still would be now. 

I'm wondering if the $399 price was set deliberately high as they knew very few would pay it, as possibly their infrastructure is getting overloaded & they had to act before the whole thing came crashing down around them? Which I fervently hope it still does...!! I'm guessing though that this act  has freed up rather a large amount of space on their servers....

Keith

• Like 1

I have just deleted all my photos from PB and closed my account.  I can wave goodbye to 6 years worth of image linking....

Have started using OneDrive - 5GB is enough for me at the moment, upload is so much quicker than PB, folder structure is easier to do on my PC and linking into threads is a doddle also.

I have already updated a couple of my RFI threads,  WIP updates are for a very rainy day.....!!

Good luck with whatever path you choose guys!!

Phil

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

But surely that's the whole point -  their 'ransomeware attack' is apparently only aimed at third party host links. Until I deleted all my photos & closed the account the pics were all still there & accessible, as I presume (yes, I know I shouldn't!) they still would be now.

I'd have replaced them with some meaningless photos of the same thing, just to keep their servers full :wicked:

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm wondering if the $399 price was set deliberately high as they knew very few would pay it, as possibly their infrastructure is getting overloaded & they had to act before the whole thing came crashing down around them? Which I fervently hope it still does...!! I'm guessing though that this act  has freed up rather a large amount of space on their servers....

it's set incredibly high, and I think you're on the nail there.  Watch out for server farms going cheap on eBay very soon :lol:

3 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

Good luck with whatever path you choose guys!!

Well said, and seconded :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'd have replaced them with some meaningless photos of the same thing, just to keep their servers full :wicked:

I would have too, if I had half a brain & had thought (or read about) such a nefarious idea before taking umbrage & closing my account! :banghead: :D

Keith

• Like 1

In truth I probably would have just left them there, but does that leave them under their copyright?  A lot of places you store photos on have sneaky things such as you losing your copyright buried in the T&Cs.  I'm sure Facebook is one of them :hmmm:

• Like 3

When I read the T&C's the other day there was a statement saying you retained copyright.

It not that I'm (particularly) sad, but the lawyer in me was looking for the clause which allowed unilateral changes to the terms (didn't find them). I emailed them and got an automated response answering a question I didn't ask. Today I received another reply saying as I had not been back in touch, they presumed my problem was fixed..............:unamused:

TrevorSmall-Print

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MadNurseGaz said:

I've "only" got 1952 photos hosted on PB, but I wouldn't know where to start in migrating all the links to BM (and other fora) threads, and the thought of repeating it 1951 more times . . .

so it seems that I must say byebye to several years of photos. Still, at least they're only my modelling work, so that's no great loss really! I did recently start using Village Photos 'cos of

the slowness and ads on PB, so the most recent pix should be OK.

Must investigate my ISP's webspace offer . . .

And on investigation, it turns out that my ISP (VirginMedia) discontinued their offer of webspace in April this year due to lack of uptake . . .

Testing OneDrive to embed a piccie here:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvWcMLNdx6gfhFgBtQFN6LjW_N8h

The piccie hasn't showed. I wonder if the link works? I'll have to post this to find out, so here goes:-

Yes, the link works, so we're halfway there! now, how to embed the pic . . .

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

017.JPG?psid=1

I clicked "View Original" then copied & pasted the URL into my post.

Thanks, Mike!

I can see why it didn't embed the first time- that URL wasn't an image- but there's no "View Original" option when I go to the OneDrive website and call up that pic. Maybe because I already have the original?

Village Photos will suffice for now at least (until they get greedy?) as long as I remember to resize pix before uploading.

...and remember.  Backup your files (or just don't remove them from your home PC)... but backup your files anyway ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

On another forum a member found this site for hosting photo's which is free and unlike others it provides links specifically for forums. 

Post Image. https://postimage.io/

very simple and maybe too good to be true?

I did not know what .io as a country was and it's this
British Indian Ocean Territory
.io. Popular with startup companies; little of anything related to the territory itself. The Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) .io is assigned to the British Indian Ocean Territory. The .io domain is administered by the Internet Computer Bureau, a domain name registry company based in the United Kingdom.

Postimage has been around for a while and used by many of us including me.  It's a good host but last autumn they had a bit of a financial meltdown and nearly went bust.  Fortunately that was sorted and they're back in business.  I will continue to use them but as I've said elsewhere I don't post a lot.  I always keep the original photos on my hard drive and I spread my uploads among several different hosts so if anything happens to one I won't have to re-upload everything from scratch.

• Like 1

I wondered for a while now how long it would take for photobucket to pull something like this in all honesty.

Years ago it used to be £2.99pm for Unlimited Bandwith/Storage, that then changed to £29.99pm now its up to the price they are expecting people to pay now.
The day they changed it to £29.99 I remember recieving an e-mail saying that the payment had been declined, and only after raising it with a customer service agent did I get a e-mail saying it had gone up by £27.00, needless to say I cancelled the subscription straight away as they had to give 30 days notice minumum at the time before increasing.

I think its time to pull everything from photobucket now and finally say goodbye to them!

Edited by John.R
  • Like 1

Just a suggestion for members. If you've got a bucket load of content stored on Photobucket and you've been a big contributor to Britmodeller, most of us appreciate that it would be far too much work for you to update years and years of posts. All is not lost! Whilst your images are not revealed in those historic threads, the links to Photobucket still work - so long as you do not close your account! You don't have to pay the ransom, just leave the content parked on Photobucket as it is.

By all means, download your content, get it hosted somewhere else, and update your favourite and current threads.

The historic threads will still have some value because people that are keen to see what you have done (or contributed) will still be able to click through to your Photobucket hosted image. If, however, you delete your account, your historic threads will have the Photobucket/P500 image embedded in them for good (unless you subsequently edit them out).

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Air-to-Air said:

The historic threads will still have some value because people that are keen to see what you have done (or contributed) will still be able to click through to your Photobucket hosted image. If, however, you delete your account, your historic threads will have the Photobucket/P500 image embedded in them for good (unless you subsequently edit them out).

He's right you know :)

• Like 2

:cat:  I see whats happening ,they pull back,once they realised,:mg: what they have done,but it will be toooo late,I have moved to this site,so good so far.

:cat:     "Imgur"   :cat:

5 hours ago, Rafbanter said:

I once had a tutor in a 2004 web media class who told us memorably that: "If you're paying for anything (digital) on the internet then you're doing something wrong" 

That was then, this is now.  A lot has changed in 13 years :shocked: Monetisation is the buzzword on the internet these days.  If you can't make money off it, you find a way to either make money off it, or shut it down.  :poop:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

When I read the T&C's the other day there was a statement saying you retained copyright.

It not that I'm (particularly) sad, but the lawyer in me was looking for the clause which allowed unilateral changes to the terms (didn't find them). I emailed them and got an automated response answering a question I didn't ask. Today I received another reply saying as I had not been back in touch, they presumed my problem was fixed..............:unamused:

TrevorSmall-Print

Happened exactly the same to me