Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

The following seems to work for me for Google photos :

1. In google photos, click on a photo  to open it,   then right click on the photo and choose  'copy image location'

2. in BM post use the 'insert other media' / 'insert image from URL'   and then press CTRL+V to paste URL

eg   https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Xv7YThP9juUymmc0q9RMSxSi84ZkMUTyYI4Sy9wzV_RgRNvVQvIZNWWULN7p11Eu9DO2zDdiZql9ZhiC1nJR5sxw9Agl0agLnt_rlASxADE1SQ8s1l7DVQWhialBiuCb54f59wfXnQTcGHuBasrp4Cd_oKA6gaEzBTrp5-SwBajYjoKlDaeHnS1LMXeLf0mib4twkmL1FEzfwp-mFJwB8zuOLpJkX_FLbAJsxZV3ow2b6QYZ-xRGqO_ao5Nuclc_0lMt5IRgfsECB9H6Ucycx9mhUDjM_FeJth0NVIKYcL_ETt3r2TvCqhqmkLVRyf97qFKZ4t53XVpCbiIcUaOfawpySRoqRetAFpphBXYLFEtAJnk1R7QWm3gkMY357dWPGIPJO-ioU1_BEkhaIunbRqwtLRLo8K1s61_HTas8TYEyVDgektKSv8GAI8epbIuNVor38IKuwHMNdbTfwixxzhl16LcBZlH9qxGJaf6kYQiaNii4bUASiszFeAwaHMeR3EIc--EvyM7OON4d_UIdW2rVRTKsw6wSRR2waIDoMybE4AhDp3RiJDPLIYTaz_QSXiKe_B18Dg-QoW_9pZdgx94xRAaeVPTh-caRLjv3nBHvR8l4IjgCBSHfpFqQAmYxI7YoZX6UXF2OCZ-wz54wH8DDt2fGpW3NG50DT_RUPA=w1684-h947-no

3. at the end of the URL (after 'no'  ) add   ?.jpg

eg https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Xv7YThP9juUymmc0q9RMSxSi84ZkMUTyYI4Sy9wzV_RgRNvVQvIZNWWULN7p11Eu9DO2zDdiZql9ZhiC1nJR5sxw9Agl0agLnt_rlASxADE1SQ8s1l7DVQWhialBiuCb54f59wfXnQTcGHuBasrp4Cd_oKA6gaEzBTrp5-SwBajYjoKlDaeHnS1LMXeLf0mib4twkmL1FEzfwp-mFJwB8zuOLpJkX_FLbAJsxZV3ow2b6QYZ-xRGqO_ao5Nuclc_0lMt5IRgfsECB9H6Ucycx9mhUDjM_FeJth0NVIKYcL_ETt3r2TvCqhqmkLVRyf97qFKZ4t53XVpCbiIcUaOfawpySRoqRetAFpphBXYLFEtAJnk1R7QWm3gkMY357dWPGIPJO-ioU1_BEkhaIunbRqwtLRLo8K1s61_HTas8TYEyVDgektKSv8GAI8epbIuNVor38IKuwHMNdbTfwixxzhl16LcBZlH9qxGJaf6kYQiaNii4bUASiszFeAwaHMeR3EIc--EvyM7OON4d_UIdW2rVRTKsw6wSRR2waIDoMybE4AhDp3RiJDPLIYTaz_QSXiKe_B18Dg-QoW_9pZdgx94xRAaeVPTh-caRLjv3nBHvR8l4IjgCBSHfpFqQAmYxI7YoZX6UXF2OCZ-wz54wH8DDt2fGpW3NG50DT_RUPA=w1684-h947-no?.jpg

4. click insert into post button

You should now see your photo.

Xv7YThP9juUymmc0q9RMSxSi84ZkMUTyYI4Sy9wz

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I forgot to say, yes this one is visible. It's not squished either.

In fact, it's a very nice picture :).

Best regards

TonyT

This was taken on my iPhone 4 from the passenger seat of the car while driving past on the way back from Old Warden.

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, IanHx said:

1. In google photos, click on a photo  to open it,   then right click on the photo and choose  'copy image location'

I noticed that this changes depending on what Web browser your using,

Microsoft Edge = "Copy"

Google Chrome = "copy image address"

I don't know what web browser your using that has 'copy image location'.

Interesting that you managed to get the 'insert other media' tool to work as I can confirm I can see your photo. Ill try adding the '?.jpg' at he end because mine have worked so far without that.

MBDly_P9aJV3P6CaqzKb_M7sTJdkF3y73rlm7uEUcKCqjc2mOAKDCgHMKN99G7W7PWIGqwMa4emafjyceU9G__Q7QfpZbjIp25EXtUVUmeY8_fY0tujU1AxLnHLrWzKyKwBFrrtZC7SfQIqK4h-h8ZpbnlN09gFMmG_oriBRf06LaCEcLnJ1cRFCtBbLHJ7Ga5Q9de-k7m9vq7RXozkOHqJ9WOuHazL1Nbqw9x_KNWDZcy0sHhckv1kwYp6f81hAgehc0Z2dAdFewMHxg6MQGhNtGrb5KZCkkEQjnQsAEOAB8ue2mBOixBCY_lNXH0L8HejI-VsgbnRzG31IOHJjNaZKhNNYhcARGAEvVoiC4-aXrVK7okSbyvvJwaBrk8VVbiu1sm79DEdWWK8HcVDKgOmrKI6WFEuFynMT1D_RzpWRZzPEjvaJcaI8bP8aNth0s68tHZzUYYBJDTXuEZGtKpEZIVeWjdrXi76U8kjDM8-n1gD5cuj-dqGfMaZY9n_E4pnPL41VFBb60nMdrtmKaQDeKree8-ETT5COlaQ9P0rLI-vB6iLvizzzoHKSdC3pNySPCVn-6MFJ_soCUMjqn950cTLV9IdnRdD8F-V2csRAAflYXyYP=w1098-h823-no?.jpg

Ok this image above is posted by right-clicking photo in Google Photos (Microsoft EDGE), Click 'Copy'.

In BM use 'insert other media', 'insert  image from URL'. Then Ctrl+V (Paste) and add '?.jpg' at the end, then insert. 

Can anybody else see it?

Interestingly this image is 4608 x 3456 pixels (about 16 megapixels) on Google Photos but when the link gets copied it defaults it to 1098 x 823 pixels. I guess that on mobile this will look squashed.

Ill be interested to know if your photos that wont show Das Abteilung were uploaded at full size or reduced to the Google Photos free storage size (16 Megapixels). All my Google Photos are at the Free storage size, could be the issue with yours? Just a stab in the dark.

Edited by Diggers11

I've recently opened an account with Fastmail for un-snooped, well-Spam-filtered and uninterrupted email service that just works and slowly migrate my email traffic over from BT. It's a paid service, but only $3 per month (higher grade options are available).

Upon enquiry, I've found out that this comes with 1GB of web storage and the facility to create photo album-like (sub)websites. Uploading works with drag and drop.

You can then copy the image's URL and embed it on the forums of your choice (you have to create the HTML string yourself though for other forums unlike this one).

Side%20asym.jpg?variant=raw

This is what I'll do I think.

Cheers

Jeffrey

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

I noticed that this changes depending on what Web browser your using,

Microsoft Edge = "Copy"

Google Chrome = "copy image address"

I don't know what web browser your using that has 'copy image location'.

Interesting that you managed to get the 'insert other media' tool to work as I can confirm I can see your photo. Ill try adding the '?.jpg' at he end because mine have worked so far without that.

MBDly_P9aJV3P6CaqzKb_M7sTJdkF3y73rlm7uEU

Ok this image above is posted by right-clicking photo in Google Photos (Microsoft EDGE), Click 'Copy'.

In BM use 'insert other media', 'insert  image from URL'. Then Ctrl+V (Paste) and add '?.jpg' at the end, then insert. 

Can anybody else see it?

Yep that shows up great. Using Firefox (well, Waterfox... )

3 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Yep that shows up great. Using Firefox (well, Waterfox... )

So Firefox/Waterfox = 'copy image location'

Its weird they all come up with different wording to mean the same thing.

92swto?.JPG

This is a test to see if I could shorten the URL using goo.gl.

This seems to have worked even when I logged out of Google.

Can anybody else see this Gnat photo but not the others or are they all missing?

Edited by Diggers11
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, clive_t said:

I can see that last image. :yes:

what about my previous images, are they still visible? If I sign out of Google I can only see my Gnat photo.

Edited by Diggers11

I stopped using PhotoBucks a while ago, in favour of my Flikr account which I've had for about 8 years.

It works fine, nothing like as intrusive with ads, just a slightly different way of posting images I guess but I am used to it now.

Having said that, it doesn't take a huge leap of the imagination to see that Verizon (who now own Flikr) will be watching developments with interest, and that at some point in the future they might choose to tread a similar path.

I have this evening been experimenting with a new account on imgbox - still early days, but uploading images is reasonably painless, I am about to find out how easy or otherwise it is to post images here!

3 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

what about my previous images, are they still visible? If I sign out of Google I can only see my Gnat photo.

Can't see the previous images at all. Grey 'no entry' sign instead.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

Can anybody still see my images I posted above?

I have just logged out of my Google Account and now I cant see my photos in the thread.

I can see all the pictures; even the squishy-upped one

4 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Can't see the previous images at all. Grey 'no entry' sign instead.

That's weird now I have signed out of Google I can see all my photos I posted in this thread except the one with the P-40 in the foreground and the really blurred out Zero in the background. Ill try that again using the shortened URL and 'Insert other media' method with '?.jpg' at the end. Then resize to 800px width in Britmodeller.

AsqjcN?.jpg 

Hopefully this stays when I sign-out of Google. 

6 minutes ago, Black Knight said:
1 hour ago, Diggers11 said:

Can anybody still see my images I posted above?

I have just logged out of my Google Account and now I cant see my photos in the thread.

I can see all the pictures; even the squishy-upped one

5 minutes ago, clive_t said:

I see that last image no problem :yes: (as at 10:27pm)

Thank you for your help.

I think this requires further testing over a longer period to test how time affects the reliability of the links.

There appears to be a number of different option available to host your images for posting in the future its just a shame that the massive resource of past posts (on Britmodeller and across the internet) will no longer have photos.

My imgbox test upload:

ZhuyTNy7.jpg

A bit of an odd one as the generated 'embedded link' text doesn't work on this site, but obtaining the real image URL and doing the 'insert other media' thing - followed by a resize - seems to work.

While you're all trying to work out how everything works, I'll just drop this little bit of info into the mix.  Us reviewers & staffers at BM use 1280 x 850 has our maximum picture size, as that's a good mix of size and detail without using up too much space on our server's SSDs.  Anything taller than 850 tends to go offscreen when you take into account the tabs, bookmark bar, any other toolbars and the taskbar at the bottom, so if the 1280 wide reduction will be taller than 850, we reduce it until it's 850, sacrificing width.  it's late and I probably haven't explained it very well, but well, ah... there it is. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Just a random thought about the PB staff...it's a long weekend for us here in the US so the PB folks are probably grilling and having a nice time. Imagine going into work tomorrow and opening up THAT inbox! 

• Like 2

That'll lern um. :cwl:

It was probably timed to coincide with July 4th, so imagine getting back from grilling (we call it interrogating in the UK) to find all your pics have gone on holiday from every forum you ever posted on :crying:

• Like 1

Thankfully I've never put anything on PB that wasn't already on my HDD and a stick, so I won't be losing any photos. What will happen, unfortunately, is that all email postings I have made in the past now have that dreaded "no third party hosting" replacements. At one stroke, this invalidates a lot of the history of our boards. What I think about PB at this moment would cause an archdemon to blush with embarrassment, but I think that Postimage is probably the one I will use from this point on. I can only quote to PB a redacted version of Jim Cornette's famous closing phrase: Thank you, forget you, bye!

Edited by Mike
This is a no-swearing board, which includes mixed up and obfuscated spellings. Please remember this.
  • Like 3

I first noticed my photos disappearing from forums on Saturday NZ time. Yesterday I downloaded most of my albums, containing 5000 or so photos, from the PB account I started on 9 May 2005 and reuploaded them all to Flickr.

I found that sometimes I had trouble downloading an album, then I saw it was Private and changed to Public. Downloaded no sweat. To be honest I didn't check to see if any Private ones were still on the forums, I just wanted to retrieve everything just in case I lost it all.

Word on the street is that they're going through profile by profile and as long as you haven't shared to a third-party site you're spared The Treatment.

I decided to do what someone somewhere suggested to show my disappointment: remove all my photos and leave only one particular file in there, meaning my Photobucket profile now looks like this:
35576840141_713afee26d_b.jpg

• Like 3

You should have changed that to "Please pay $399 to enable 3rd party hosting" just to show how greedy they were.... not that they care :shrug:

• Like 1