Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

6 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

Thank you for replying, I thought it was probably too good to be true. I can see the image in the quoted reply. Ill try as Das Abteilung suggested.

GW06NhUAkSO0Fie21qYncwpOQv0prWVubAb82you3-WYx9TPQFTu3NAxH8pAtWstgD4DqjGOauninpuVIV-i7M-7O6ct-2gVF3EsVt0stzZqJbttFtQ5Ye6hNc_i0TOd8Pos5XvMfSrgWaTnIHsWHUU9HPemlh2F6nMOPijCrZPOTwHKrsg9BMnEsdwd9ns54EwkKCkzrM0y-QxcuEP6h0RXwZeeZ0jWXGRB-_l-axN6Am1pRXUGkB-SKDBqmsepCtpaEFDMpmr7YP6UZNCHmkLG73EfztMVAA9LPRwn_oqXeC28V2P6Lgc7x2erdMEGBcdlCvkzWLWTN57eXMAMwLnqhBV8wUDbe_drTh6_79fkbBobmoY9iqoeE1JdKkwang40v3lg1QlEPammjATz1rw_HZFDGtIB4iUEC70OcRX-9HYgHXsl5_iXvepyZcQN4oMqRfx2bYADWUx9aKVOvu201uMGcoUGd-Vn0fl2FDYbg9hWGsvD21IirUtah1iF1nLAZzOBEwhgJkTlmb8EJL01hzRXfbdyAVFkvCuaZoDpqXaW0mFEDYhee-bQu406Bv5uSINPdAcib8w4XW7rYUCstl1qwc-TE8JVV4Z6cVS0pqc43DgGVEVtMzvEHXJ-s23xKL242QCwLtP-pWyQr-aaZMrLh7jksUv4UrbiVg=w1098-h823-no

Can anybody see it now?

It's visible now :thumbsup:

On a legal-ish note, I'm not sure that PB can legally cut off access to previously-hosted images for sites based in the UK and within OFCOMs jurisdiction.  I think they are obliged to keep those images available pretty much indefinitely.  Same principle that requires your old email accounts to be maintained, at least on a read-only basis and as long as there is regular access, even once you have terminated the service from the provider.  I have emailed them to suggest that they must consult OFCOM.

But they're based in the US and AFAIK have no UK office or representation so they can give OFCOM the finger with impunity.  In the current US political climate I don't see any complaint by OFCOM going anywhere.  Of course if it were the other way around the Feds would be on the next flight over with arrest and extradition warrants.

1 minute ago, Das Abteilung said:

Yep.  works for me.  Nice work, BTW ....

Thank you, the Zero's mine the P-40's my Dads.

So to get it to work I did exactly as I previously posted but instead of using the 'Insert other media' tool I just right clicked and pasted directly into the message. Although doing this means you can not set the size of the image in the post. I tried copying the link into notepad and then copying it from notepad into the post but that just comes back as text instead of showing the photo, even if you don't edit the link, weird.

mw09pdx77MlROHHQk86dirpzXcGildlBbMB5hw1j1bM0cmXSYAaWYpGgSimp9A0WrSrEzT5kGSmQjW1KIwKxL5rmEf-3aUS3ftsYBKG0Q4VkexCWS00g4FlbNLOjbvv0jTiuM0DDBd2mOwIB-KUP62NSKqv0oieT1bjk1cqgnRPC8ITquHm0L6cwNRQThujJJ8c5mz9svlBoP9Vj4HZ_pqOl4VURt3YguXN41jppWE6z_RA67ByDs023SWFJ1sS141jjAAG390CmZJOnZP-dbGZMhxBZF78ytVfhejPw5nVH72ERCDPuya_Nerrnnc9wJtsaCE6Mx_-h2IxmVnrLjn5BP_iPnEYcG2cCYmmf5WIlvBM1MyBNBVF3ezE14dJ_dwVoeUKT_nPYlgm4TU6Aqjsg3bLxiCJ_tqRepJYLJX-Pyx5HEMK9_hXiXWww1NeRV7CXMm2o5Q5ErJNDQ367QkDVHZB61H0IIDIe0hn2Bzmw3HHhd3nHUzn_Q3foiC-We3W2chZc6BWmXSZ8EHQwgAlCzEpcEKq3KSdUBJqhUUzNwrDcrxvikK_alB1rrpVaN0BORbYzUXG0lxkdTcNbTTirCdkt_Igfv2eJ-y4MZ7HNXZhf4CJq=w1098-h823-no

Can you see this image?

I resized this in the Britmodeller post by holding the 'Ctrl' key and right-clicking the image, then selecting 'Edit Image' from the menu that appears, then changing the size to 800 width keeping the aspect the same.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I cannot see that Mig on a concrete base with a blue background, no. :wicked:

You tricked me for a second.

So it seems to post pics from Google photos do the following.

1) View the photo to be shared, right-click and copy.

2) Paste into post.

3) Hold 'Ctrl' key and right-click on image in post and resize in the edit menu.

Edited by Diggers11

25 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

mw09pdx77MlROHHQk86dirpzXcGildlBbMB5hw1j1bM0cmXSYAaWYpGgSimp9A0WrSrEzT5kGSmQjW1KIwKxL5rmEf-3aUS3ftsYBKG0Q4VkexCWS00g4FlbNLOjbvv0jTiuM0DDBd2mOwIB-KUP62NSKqv0oieT1bjk1cqgnRPC8ITquHm0L6cwNRQThujJJ8c5mz9svlBoP9Vj4HZ_pqOl4VURt3YguXN41jppWE6z_RA67ByDs023SWFJ1sS141jjAAG390CmZJOnZP-dbGZMhxBZF78ytVfhejPw5nVH72ERCDPuya_Nerrnnc9wJtsaCE6Mx_-h2IxmVnrLjn5BP_iPnEYcG2cCYmmf5WIlvBM1MyBNBVF3ezE14dJ_dwVoeUKT_nPYlgm4TU6Aqjsg3bLxiCJ_tqRepJYLJX-Pyx5HEMK9_hXiXWww1NeRV7CXMm2o5Q5ErJNDQ367QkDVHZB61H0IIDIe0hn2Bzmw3HHhd3nHUzn_Q3foiC-We3W2chZc6BWmXSZ8EHQwgAlCzEpcEKq3KSdUBJqhUUzNwrDcrxvikK_alB1rrpVaN0BORbYzUXG0lxkdTcNbTTirCdkt_Igfv2eJ-y4MZ7HNXZhf4CJq=w1098-h823-no

Can you see this image?

I resized this in the Britmodeller post by holding the 'Ctrl' key and right-clicking the image, then selecting 'Edit Image' from the menu that appears, then changing the size to 800 width keeping the aspect the same.

Great Mig you have there :clap2:By the way, which kit is it?

Thanks for the hints, Diggers.  I had wondered about resizing too.  Yes, I forgot to mention that you have to double-click on the image you want to bring it full-screen and enable the copy option.  That isn't available from the album view.

Nice Mig too.

So have we, by trial and error, happened across the way to give PB the kick into the long grass they deserve?  Most of us will have a Google account, I imagine.  If not, they're free (for now!) and useful anyway: gmail, android phone syncing, etc.  With Google being humungously rich, I don't see them charging any time soon.  But watch out if the Chancellor decides they should pay fair tax(!!).  There is an optional desktop app to auto upload photos from your cameras and devices.  Although as I keep everything on OneDrive I think I will just use Google for images I want to embed in sites like this: manual selection.

7 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Great Mig you have there :clap2:By the way, which kit is it?

Thanks, its the 1/72 Revell kit with a bit of scratch building and corrections with the Quickboost intake nose and Eduard photo etch zoom set.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Thanks for the hints, Diggers.  I had wondered about resizing too.  Yes, I forgot to mention that you have to double-click on the image you want to bring it full-screen and enable the copy option.  That isn't available from the album view.

Nice Mig too.

So have we, by trial and error, happened across the way to give PB the kick into the long grass they deserve?  Most of us will have a Google account, I imagine.  If not, they're free (for now!) and useful anyway: gmail, android phone syncing, etc.  With Google being humungously rich, I don't see them charging any time soon.  But watch out if the Chancellor decides they should pay fair tax(!!).  There is an optional desktop app to auto upload photos from your cameras and devices.  Although as I keep everything on OneDrive I think I will just use Google for images I want to embed in sites like this: manual selection.

Yes in Google photos the image has to be full screen to get the chance to copy. Very important step.

My only worry is that at some point Britmodeller or Google may change the way they handle images, which could result in this method no longer working. But I suppose that's the same for all image hosting sites. I don't know why the pasting directly into the post works but using the 'insert other media' or editing the link in notepad first then posting it, doesn't.

If you have a Google account its really is a lot easier than wading through the adverts on Photobucket.

That "copy image" option has always worked for me on Britmodeller for pictures from WWW.  But it doesn't seem to work on some other forums.  I don't see Britmodeller changing anything willingly as we seem to have stumbled across a way of avoiding Photobucket that actually works and which keeps image hosting off Britmodeller's servers.  Google are quite keen on sharing and at the moment I believe their only chargeable service is additional high-res storage, which we don't need.  I don't see Britmodeller - or indeed all of the modelling forums combined - having much of an effect on Google's storage capacity or access bandwidth.  And they certainly don't need the money!

Having said this, I've just posted some images in exactly the same way as described above on the AFV WIP forum and I'm told by another member that he can't see them.

2 hours ago, Diggers11 said:

Thank you for replying, I thought it was probably too good to be true. I can see the image in the quoted reply. Ill try as Das Abteilung suggested.

GW06NhUAkSO0Fie21qYncwpOQv0prWVubAb82you3-WYx9TPQFTu3NAxH8pAtWstgD4DqjGOauninpuVIV-i7M-7O6ct-2gVF3EsVt0stzZqJbttFtQ5Ye6hNc_i0TOd8Pos5XvMfSrgWaTnIHsWHUU9HPemlh2F6nMOPijCrZPOTwHKrsg9BMnEsdwd9ns54EwkKCkzrM0y-QxcuEP6h0RXwZeeZ0jWXGRB-_l-axN6Am1pRXUGkB-SKDBqmsepCtpaEFDMpmr7YP6UZNCHmkLG73EfztMVAA9LPRwn_oqXeC28V2P6Lgc7x2erdMEGBcdlCvkzWLWTN57eXMAMwLnqhBV8wUDbe_drTh6_79fkbBobmoY9iqoeE1JdKkwang40v3lg1QlEPammjATz1rw_HZFDGtIB4iUEC70OcRX-9HYgHXsl5_iXvepyZcQN4oMqRfx2bYADWUx9aKVOvu201uMGcoUGd-Vn0fl2FDYbg9hWGsvD21IirUtah1iF1nLAZzOBEwhgJkTlmb8EJL01hzRXfbdyAVFkvCuaZoDpqXaW0mFEDYhee-bQu406Bv5uSINPdAcib8w4XW7rYUCstl1qwc-TE8JVV4Z6cVS0pqc43DgGVEVtMzvEHXJ-s23xKL242QCwLtP-pWyQr-aaZMrLh7jksUv4UrbiVg=w1098-h823-no

Can anybody see it now?

Certainly can. I hope it's ok to ask a quick question on this.

In the case of this, and a few pictures on a few threads, on mobile devices I get an image that is squashed; narrower than it should be. It's as if the image is too wide for the screen so it is being squashed in to fit.

Is this happening to anyone else? Im

not sure if this will simply show as a normal picture; but here is a screen grab:

IMG_9443.png

If if I click through to the google image it looks fine, same device, same browser:

IMG_9444.png

All look fine on eg the MacBook or my wife's Windows based tablet. They also look squished on her Sony Xperia phone (Google Android 6 OS), and on my iPhone 7.

Can anyone advise on why this happens? Any work arounds?

Best regards 

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Details added

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

On a legal-ish note, I'm not sure that PB can legally cut off access to previously-hosted images for sites based in the UK and within OFCOMs jurisdiction.  I think they are obliged to keep those images available pretty much indefinitely.  Same principle that requires your old email accounts to be maintained, at least on a read-only basis and as long as there is regular access, even once you have terminated the service from the provider.  I have emailed them to suggest that they must consult OFCOM.

But they're based in the US and AFAIK have no UK office or representation so they can give OFCOM the finger with impunity.  In the current US political climate I don't see any complaint by OFCOM going anywhere.  Of course if it were the other way around the Feds would be on the next flight over with arrest and extradition warrants.

Right Chums,let's all step back a moment and look at this rather than jumping up and down like someone has just brogged you up the back end with something hot,wide and blunt.

PB have changed their way of operating.

Buried somewhere in their Terms and Conditions,to which we all signed up to when we pressed the Accept tit,will be a clause stating that the Terms and Conditions are subject to change with no notice at any time.

This clause is inamongst the T's and C's of all the other providers I have had cause to look at over the last few days.

I'm a freeloader.Never paid a penny in,had damn good service in return.All the adverts were taken care of by Firefox Adblocker,no sweat.I looked in this morning to find that all 1252 of my uploaded piccies,all of which have been seen in various threads on this site and none other,are still there to be viewed and milked off by anyone who sees fit to do so.

I'm a freeloader,I've no complaint.This just means that I have to find another outfit from whom I can third party link and freeload.

Anyone who has a paid up account should still be enjoying the level of service for the duration of the period that they signed up and paid for.

If they are not then they are the ones who have any cause to remonstrate.This will apply on either side of the Pond.

In the meantime I have to say that,for me,PB has been occasionally slow but it always got there and thier means and methods of arranging storage (subfolders and stuff) and accesibility haven't been mirrored elsewhere and I will miss using them.

Just my two penn'orth.

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

That "copy image" option has always worked for me on Britmodeller for pictures from WWW.  But it doesn't seem to work on some other forums.  I don't see Britmodeller changing anything willingly as we seem to have stumbled across a way of avoiding Photobucket that actually works and which keeps image hosting off Britmodeller's servers.  Google are quite keen on sharing and at the moment I believe their only chargeable service is additional high-res storage, which we don't need.  I don't see Britmodeller - or indeed all of the modelling forums combined - having much of an effect on Google's storage capacity or access bandwidth.  And they certainly don't need the money!

Having said this, I've just posted some images in exactly the same way as described above on the AFV WIP forum and I'm told by another member that he can't see them.

I have just looked at your thread and I cant see them either. This looks the same as what happened to mine when I used the 'Insert other media' tool, but you just pasted directly into the post didn't you. Maybe its a sharing issue. Ill try a photo below that I have never shared.

1Ys9kTJXfBahgp0OZAYxOU-eyhOsOlBK97hRjn4bSWTOia_CvQsnmKfaS0jOF7_dGb2YzfsKUTJaLTt09iOH9a2G1y-AosxDhe5VHk4hz7FSAPbESvZun_Ee2dcJIkRCFeiQ3mD4ECVnCoGSlObbPYEtmpAXrolLFwCMOrXVpNPYIk1rB7xV6qeQldrKJKTztM0eSooaYteBz0JYYIfh0AKNazX7BKzESudp_WB_BOJ4-3PcLWujnJDtrOfbSc1dZSdYAv9LzntHmWW_SF2wrefPNd5PkLV7WJWFY8hPnWubemFtbirPC2tFmmqv6CwoJG5Y5AocfhpqROOOcTffFPgJaMw5eqqto3Zp0oCG0w-xtI6U3nvJqY78na8Vm_NpOOyRjYBNFuvE-05yqcKxU8mTA0E_wjBg4ZqIUY-5_biDaAUMZ3bGDD9NEptD9N5pzOtRkmJUkcRFoa_bpUpqwASPe7KCAEZLhr0XJgvKqOATgicfj2-Zca4ypYc4JKMqjEhdnPz5xGdAPif63E1zip3Il3trYkTSNVx9gcqMOoEG7gFkbPu6KhvXfllw4TQ2k_VpkUWbyKroySG8QmuEXwRXy_k6ETytPg720PUVzGSZ1kTBhAQR=w1102-h823-no

Is this one visible? I struggled to find an image on my Google Photos I hadn't shared with someone.

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Certainly can. I hope it's ok to ask a quick question on this.

In the case of this, and a few pictures on a few threads, on mobile devices I get an image that is squashed; narrower than it should be. It's as if the image is too wide for the screen so it is being squashed in to fit.

It seems to be how the mobile version of the forum handles images over a certain size, I get the same squashed image of my Zero on my iPhone but my MiG-21 pic is fine. On my Windows 10 PC using EDGE browser both are fine.

Yes that one is visible.

Yes, I just copied and pasted into the body text.  As noted earlier, the "insert other media" dialog doesn't seem to work at all.  Clive said he only saw grey "no entry" signs instead of the images.  I then uploaded another photo he saw once, but that had turned into the same no entry sign when he went back again.  Then I uploaded another which he couldn't see.  So it sounds like a sharing issue somewhere.  Needs someone smarter than me to work it out.  

I did wonder perhaps if the images needed to be in the Google "sharing" folder, but that only gathers together images for you to email a link to named individuals - the same as sharing in OneDrive.

Are the images posted in this thread by others still visible?  I can certainly still see them.  Am I doing something wrong?  There isn't a lot you can do with settings in Google.  Is it an image size issue?

1 minute ago, Diggers11 said:

It seems to be how the mobile version of the forum handles images over a certain size, I get the same squashed image of my Zero on my iPhone but my MiG-21 pic is fine. On my Windows 10 PC using EDGE browser both are fine.

Thanks. Your Mig pic is fine on these mobiles too.

It looks like 800 wide is safe for mobile devices. More for the portable computers and desktops :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

4 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

Yes that one is visible.

Yes, I just copied and pasted into the body text.  As noted earlier, the "insert other media" dialog doesn't seem to work at all.  Clive said he only saw grey "no entry" signs instead of the images.  I then uploaded another photo he saw once, but that had turned into the same no entry sign when he went back again.  Then I uploaded another which he couldn't see.  So it sounds like a sharing issue somewhere.  Needs someone smarter than me to work it out.  

I did wonder perhaps if the images needed to be in the Google "sharing" folder, but that only gathers together images for you to email a link to named individuals - the same as sharing in OneDrive.

Are the images posted in this thread by others still visible?  I can certainly still see them.  Am I doing something wrong?  There isn't a lot you can do with settings in Google.  Is it an image size issue?

I was thinking along similar lines as you but as you can see the Airlander photo, which isn't in a shared folder on Google, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I re-posted my pics again reduced to 600 wide, but they were still apparently not visible.  However I didn't think to ask Clive what access device he is using.  I'll ask him.  But you said you couldn't see them either.  Were you using mobile?

Is it a question of different views on mobile devices then?  Can we deduce a universal maximum size?  600 wide still seems to be too big.

4 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Thanks. Your Mig pic is fine on these mobiles too.

It looks like 800 wide is safe for mobile devices. More for the portable computers and desktops :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

I noticed before posting you can check what the post will look like on a phone using the preview tool. Although when I did this the image wasn't squashed. Only gets squashed when actually looking on a phone. Just one of those things it seems.

1 minute ago, Das Abteilung said:

I re-posted my pics again reduced to 600 wide, but they were still apparently not visible.  However I didn't think to ask Clive what access device he is using.  I'll ask him.  But you said you couldn't see them either.  Were you using mobile?

Is it a question of different views on mobile devices then?  Can we deduce a universal maximum size?  600 wide still seems to be too big.

I'm looking on PC and cant see them. Ill have to see how long mine stay visible for.

26 minutes ago, Diggers11 said:

I have just looked at your thread and I cant see them either. This looks the same as what happened to mine when I used the 'Insert other media' tool, but you just pasted directly into the post didn't you. Maybe its a sharing issue. Ill try a photo below that I have never shared.

1Ys9kTJXfBahgp0OZAYxOU-eyhOsOlBK97hRjn4bSWTOia_CvQsnmKfaS0jOF7_dGb2YzfsKUTJaLTt09iOH9a2G1y-AosxDhe5VHk4hz7FSAPbESvZun_Ee2dcJIkRCFeiQ3mD4ECVnCoGSlObbPYEtmpAXrolLFwCMOrXVpNPYIk1rB7xV6qeQldrKJKTztM0eSooaYteBz0JYYIfh0AKNazX7BKzESudp_WB_BOJ4-3PcLWujnJDtrOfbSc1dZSdYAv9LzntHmWW_SF2wrefPNd5PkLV7WJWFY8hPnWubemFtbirPC2tFmmqv6CwoJG5Y5AocfhpqROOOcTffFPgJaMw5eqqto3Zp0oCG0w-xtI6U3nvJqY78na8Vm_NpOOyRjYBNFuvE-05yqcKxU8mTA0E_wjBg4ZqIUY-5_biDaAUMZ3bGDD9NEptD9N5pzOtRkmJUkcRFoa_bpUpqwASPe7KCAEZLhr0XJgvKqOATgicfj2-Zca4ypYc4JKMqjEhdnPz5xGdAPif63E1zip3Il3trYkTSNVx9gcqMOoEG7gFkbPu6KhvXfllw4TQ2k_VpkUWbyKroySG8QmuEXwRXy_k6ETytPg720PUVzGSZ1kTBhAQR=w1102-h823-no

Is this one visible? I struggled to find an image on my Google Photos I hadn't shared with someone.

I forgot to say, yes this one is visible. It's not squished either.

In fact, it's a very nice picture :).

Best regards

TonyT

In a weird way this Photobucket thing is actually going to make my life easier. I stopped following links to PB images a while back since they had to first load the entire web page, then all of their advertising, then all the animated ads, then maybe you get o see the picture.

I had a PB account fornyears but since switched over to Imgur. I kept the old one alive just in case someone wanted to follow an old link in some ancient thread, I downloaded all of those files this morning so I have everything if needed. I would totally close my old PB account but it is sync'd to an eMail address that no longer exists.