Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

On 01/07/2017 at 9:16 AM, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Friends - Just when I've got reasonably competent in using Photobucket for posting my images I find I have also been hit by their Upgrade Notice.

I only use iPad and now need to learn how to use Flickr perhaps as an alternative.

Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

As far as my topic photos are concerned,I have retained most in the iPad but there is a good amount on PB that I don't think I'll be able to retrieve.Fortunately,I still have all the models!

As for a BM 'In House' system,I'd be more than happy to pay my dues to support this Forum rather than PB,for example.

All the best,Paul.

I sympathise Paul. I have been on PB today and downloaded my albums back onto my Laptop ready to be relinked when the storm has passed and I can see more clearly what the outcome will be. If you look on the page on PB in your album section you will see a blue link saying 'download', use this and follow the usual prompts and you should be able to get your material. Good luck.

As for photo sites and modern media in general I am glad I am old school so if anyone wants to come around and look at my polaroids over a nice cuppa your more than welcome:D

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mike said:

Find a service that we control, or at least know aren't going to stab us all in the back.

Well said that man.

Now I know this will not sit well with some people but I for one do not mind paying for a reliable and trustworthy cause and I would not flinch if I was asked to support BM on a subscription basis because of all the issues listed above in the last 6 pages, if this could be done then count me in but I do not know how others may feel or indeed yourself Mike.

In this day and age of invisible magic going on in the ether of space and time we do sometimes forget that real people and costly hardware are needed to make this all happen and in reality nothing is free, it is only the illusion of 'free' so if I were to give money Mike I would rather give it to yourself and the other 'invisible people' that give us this wonderful meeting place and rescource than some faceless city slicker out to fleece us at $399 a shot.

Just thinking out loud so do not shoot me.....please.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Wez, I first uploaded a couple of pics to Flickr to test last night, so I'm no expert, but what I found is;

- on upload it appears to default the photo's privacy settings to 'private'. I couldn't get them to appear on BM until I changed them to 'public' - whether this is actually necessary I don't know.I changed the setting by clicking on the photo in my photostream, when it opens, scroll down & on the right is a menu titled 'additional info', top selection is 'privacy setting' where I changed from private to public.

- to get it into BM, I clicked the right facing arrow under the picture (hovering the cursor over it shows 'share photo'), this opens a window with a URL in it & I just highlighted & copied that, and then just pasted it into the body of the post - didn't bother with the 'insert other media' thing, as I couldn't get that to work either! 

This worked fine for me, but I don't know if it is the 'right' way of doing it!

HTH

Keith

Thanks Keith,

I'll give that a go next time I crank the laptop up!

Cheers

Wez

You know what?

I've just sat down in front of my current GB Herald and can't be bothered to do anymore to it at the moment.

I just keep thinking about the posting of pictures hassle.

I'm going to walk away from it for a bit. Let things settle down.

Off to read a good book and sip a single malt instead.

Rick.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

I'd have more than just the one Rick!  :rofl:

• Like 1

Hi all

My images seem to have gone too, I have just gone onto PB and can't get to my images as I can't seem to get around their Printshop page even when clicking the library link. 

have the originals so I am not too bothered.  Will try the Onedrive route I think.

Edit - I have saved a couple of images to One drive and tried to right click for the embed option however it is not offered, I have a Microsoft Office 360 type account so must be doing something wrong somewhere.

All the best
Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

The OneDrive route does work, but is a bit clunky

Hi Rick,

It is a bit clunky, I admit. But it hasn't taken much time to complete two threads, and I am nearly done with a third. It does help that I still have access to the original images, rather than having to download them from PB.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

You know what?

I've just sat down in front of my current GB Herald and can't be bothered to do anymore to it at the moment.

I just keep thinking about the posting of pictures hassle.

I'm going to walk away from it for a bit. Let things settle down.

Rick.

Good God man. Rick what is a sip. I have have never sipped.  :lalala:

Laurie (Stewart with strong single malt tendency) 

• Like 2

I have yet to receive any word from PB about the $400.00 cost, to post 3rd party. Just to make sure all is safe, I've downloaded all 47 pages of my PB account back onto my 'puter.

Chris

I wish I had a £ for every time the word Photobucket or some crude derivative of the name has been posted on the internet this weekend.  There's a good chance I'd be rivalling Bill Gates on the Rich List! :lol:

• Like 4

I'm gonna merge this, as it's turning from a question about the move to a standard "PB are crap and I hate them thread".  Shame there's no quick fix though, but what can you do? :shrug:  You either kept local backups or you didn't.  If you did, just say goodbye.  If not, you've got the tedium of downloading them back home again before you can start again. :poop:

9 minutes ago, Rick Brown said:

The OneDrive route does work, but is a bit clunky.

y4mvUmP_5dyK5vgPcvdvhBRxjs92GzbobuJcXU1X

Rick

Am I reading into things to much. I assume you are saying you go to work in this ? :yikes:

• Like 2

Just to share a thought... I have feared for Flickr's future for a long time - I' ve used the site for ten years now and I love it, never had the inkling to find something else. But it's Yahoo's and I can't see that company existing forever. Years ago it had a max upload limit but thats gone now. I hope it won't go the same way as PB one day.

Jay 

• Like 1

I  fortunate, at least on this forum*, as I don't have a lot of images. I shall re-link them from my new host, at some point when I'm feeling like being very, very, bored.

I'm fairly mad with Photoshitbucket. I don't mind paying a bit, in principle, but $399 is utterly outrageous - that's clearly a statement of 'we don't want any cheapskates' - I guess they're trying to change their market position and customer base... and I sincerely hope it fails, completely, and that they go bust.

* But I have hundreds of images linked on other fora. No way those threads are anything but dead - life's too short to sort them out. A couple of fora I follow are completely gutted by this - and that's what makes me mad - it's so unnecessary.

• Like 1

I went to post some photos on here for a visit I took to the USAF Museum in Dayton last year. I used Google+ Photos and made those pictures public. I could not embed photos in the body of my post, but I did get clickable links in it and some apparently could see them. They seem to have come out quite nicely. While YMMV, you can see how it works for you:

Edited by WrightField

Not sure if this has already been posted. For those who are greeted by the PB 'update' image and want to see the blocked image the following works for me.

If you right click on the PB "upgrade" image and open the link in new tab you can get to see the original image on PB's website. But it will sometimes just get a re-shown the upgrade image not sure why. It may be down to cache issues with cookies, etc or its all the stuff PB does to gets it's adverts displayed. But in Chrome if I open the link in an incognito tab it always works for me. I can even look at other images in the account if PB let's me.

Must admit I don't like using the PB website to view images because of all the pop-ups and code they use behind the scenes.

But for those who are stuck I hope this helps you get to view and identify the missing images blocked by PB.

Dave