Photobucket to stop allowing direct linking unless you pay.

I only copied my pics to Photobuckert so most are still on my PC. However some were missed and I downloaded about a dozen on Saturday. On Sunday I went back to download some others and none of my photos show up. The page still says my storage is 78% full, but I can't see any of the 54 pages of photos!

Ian

Been reading through this and seems like bad news for a lot of modellers.

Been looking at all my threads and the pictures remain. I copy the IMG code and paste those in my threads. Don't know if this is different to what others do but as I say, all my photos remain in place.

Dave

That brings home the awful impact of it all @bootneck - it's a stupid and selfish unilateral move to do such a massive money grab without a moment's notice or warning.  They need to be made to rethink by the weight of complaints.  They should at least give people adequate notice to make alternative arrangements.

I suspect that the fall-out with other providers might be difficult to predict, as those with sufficient bandwidth and storage on tap might relish the additional advertising revenue from the direct visits.  Maybe we should consider posting a direct link to our host's album of the photos we post at the bottom of threads?  Y'know, for those that just want the pics, or want to provide direct clicks to the provider. :hmmm:

It'll probably cause some panic amongst some hosts, and might even reduce them to a crawl, and I don't doubt that there are going to be some that might decide to take a leaf out of PB's book and commit cyber-suicide.  We'll have to see how things pan out, and what kind of decisions to the CEOs of the other companies make.  They have to make money to be a viable business afterall, so to expect them all to continue on a free basis is perhaps a little naive. Maybe we should start thinking about ways to regain control over our online postings?  Find a service that we control, or at least know aren't going to stab us all in the back.

Maybe it'll also encourage ISPs to start offering webspace as part of their packages again.  Still worth checking whether you have access to webspace through your ISP if you haven't already :)

• Like 2

Just stumbled over this tread and realized ALL my images uploaded to Britmodeller in the last years are GONE.

I can still access my pictures on Photobucket (after clicking through their countless pop-up ads) however.

Seems like I have to move my photographs somewhere else, but the articles already written for BM can hardly be restored.

14 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

but I can't see any of the 54 pages of photos!

I had same issue but fortunately not as many pages.

I persevered through dozens of adverts and eventually got to them and promptly deleted the lot (I have them on external hard drive) Despite this it appears that my account is 3% full!

Closed account and told them why.

4 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Just stumbled over this tread and realized ALL my images uploaded to Britmodeller in the last years are GONE.

I can still access my pictures on Photobucket (after clicking through their countless pop-up ads) however.

Seems like I have to move my photographs somewhere else, but the articles already written for BM can hardly be restored.

From my have a go and see you can access past topics edit and replace photos with another host.

Mentioned before this is not so with other forums.

Laurie

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

You could re-post the images by using the EDIT function on each of your threads, once you've migrated the images to another hosting site, but it could be quite a tedious task.  Some of the WiP's and Ready for Inspection threads posted over the years are invaluable to us, for learning and inspiration, and so I would recommend as many people as possible try to re-load their images once migrated.  It wouldn't be just for our current membership, but to help newcomers or even those who may be considering changing scales or themes (Aircraft to AFV or ships etc.) and need guidance in those different subjects. 

There really is a great wealth of information in all of the members' posts and complemented with excellent images; thanks to the contributions of the membership.  Whilst the data and storylines will remain it would be a great shame if the images weren't there to enhance the wording.

Mike

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

From my have a go and see you can access past topics edit and replace photos with another host.

Mentioned before this is not so with other forums.

Laurie

Yeah I understand technically this would be possible, but to replace hundreds of picture links in various topics started on BM in the last years I'd have to take a long vaction to get all of this re-arranged....

• Like 1

I should imagine that you have a few favourites, work that you were quite proud of doing; and showing to the membership.  I would suggest making a shortlist of those favourites or important ones and then have a go at a couple of them; otherwise we all could be the losers and not just yourself. 

You did the work and are proud of it so why not (re)show it?

Mike

1 minute ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Yeah I understand technically this would be possible, but to replace hundreds of picture links in various topics started on BM in the last years I'd have to take a long vaction to get all of this re-arranged....

One a week and you are there in a year. Think of all the time taken on builds just to lose them.

Image shack which I have just joined. 10 photos in an album. 30 secs download as a file. Locate build topic replace photos as a lot (ie not individual) 1 minute.

Saves looking at all the "Black Death" icons displayed by the PB (PeaNut Butter lunatics association).

1 minute ago, bootneck said:

You could re-post the images by using the EDIT function on each of your threads

That's precisely what I am doing.

I don't have 400 quid (or dollars, or whatever) that I can just splurge around. Photobucket's tactics are shoddy to say the least.

I discovered that due my having an Office 365 licence, I have a fairly large 'oneDrive'  allocation.

I am gradually migrating all my links from PB to there. Fortunately, being a hoarder, I still have all the original images in raw, TIF and JPG on my PC.

I know that it's a bit tedious, but these 'goons' are not going to get a penny from me. As soon as I have migrated all my threads, I am deleting all my PB content and closing my account. If PB are interested why, I'll give them it by both barrels...

It's a fairly simple process embedding from oneDrive. Copy the original images to the onedrive folder on your PC. They get automatically synched, then from your web-browser, you select the image you want to post, then select '...' from the menu bar, then 'Embed', In the pop-up, select 'Generate', then copy the HTML in the box. Then on BM, 'Insert Other Media'. Job done!

I suspect that PB may be coming to a sticky end. I do hope so...

• Like 3

I wonder if they are lining themselves up for a new buyer for the company?  Perhaps they're doing this to remove all the freebie users and to make themselves look more attractive to any prospective buyer?  Just a thought.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I should imagine that you have a few favourites, work that you were quite proud of doing; and showing to the membership.  I would suggest making a shortlist of those favourites or important ones and then have a go at a couple of them; otherwise we all could be the losers and not just yourself. 

NO WAY!!!!! It would take  months to do this. Sorry but I for one will not do this. This is insane!

Best regards

Gabor

3 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

NO WAY!!!!! It would take  months to do this. Sorry but I for one will not do this. This is insane!

Maybe it's just my nature. I am admittedly a stubborn cantankerous old bugger, but I would rather spend months re-linking all my images than 1) ignoring the missing links, or 2) paying PB 400 quid to free up MY images.

Regards, Alan.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bootneck said:

You did the work and are proud of it so why not (re)show it?

Mike

Mike, that's a good point.

After migrating somwhere else with my pictures, I'll replace the most important ones.

PS. It's a pity that BM doesn't accept "direct upload' - like German Flugzeugforum.de

I undestand the security concerns, though.

Edited by Roman Schilhart
  • Like 1

I just got done downloading my album from PB and then deleting my account. They give you the opportunity to say why you are leaving and boy did I take it. My account was small but hopefully it is just one of the thousands that are being shut down this weekend. 

• Like 2

I've uploaded one of my photos to my Flikr account, I want to edit an old post to include the image from Flikr as a test piece, how do I do this?  I've tried Insert other media but it doesn't appear to work which leads me to think I'm either doing something wrong (very likely), or I need to adjust a setting (also very likely).

Can somebody help an ant brain like myself? :bangin:

2 hours ago, Alan R said:

Maybe it's just my nature. I am admittedly a stubborn cantankerous old bugger, but I would rather spend months re-linking all my images than 1) ignoring the missing links, or 2) paying PB 400 quid to free up MY images.

Regards, Alan.

1. I will not pay 

2. Life is too short to re do all the links.

Sorry, no way.

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

Even if all the images disappear, the site will soon build up again.   If mine disappear, they will just be gone, and that will be the end of it.    Feel the same way as Gabor (above).

Bob

The more you think about it the more grotesque the whole thing appears. We on here are but a tiny tiny part of the internet and yet a huge chunk of content was just wiped out. Now scale this up to the thousands of other web forums and spaces where people share/post things and basically Photobucket managed to wipe all that off the internet!

That coupled with somewhat questionable legality of the whole thing of applying new TnC's to the past and the ridiculous amount of $400 makes me think that either:

- this is a crude marketing stunt and will be changed back soon

- PB as a whole have been hacked badly and your $400 wouldn't go where you think they would go

- PB have been bought out/taken over by another company who just want PB's infrastructure but want to get rid of their clients

- PB managers fully entrusted a company re-vamp to some marketing guys who understand nothing about PB's business

- someone in PB HQ has lost their mind completely

Before I commit to opening an account at other hosting services I'll wait a week or so, perhaps we will hear from PB eventually and maybe they back-track.

Jeffrey

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

Before I commit to opening an account at other hosting services I'll wait a week or so, perhaps we will hear from PB eventually and maybe they back-track.

But would you be happy to trust them again? I wouldn't.

Fortunately, more by luck than judgement, I went for a different host. But this would confirm in my mind that I wouldn't touch PB with a barge-pole. It's making me wonder about all the other photo-hosts now - how reliable are they?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

But would you be happy to trust them again? I wouldn't.

Neither would I.

I feel the best that can happen is that they temporarily rescind the extortionate $399, allow folk to download their photos, then stand on the docks waving to people as they leave for new lands. I hope that happens for the sake of those whose body of works exists only there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

1. I will not pay 

2. Life is too short to re do all the links.

Sorry, no way.

Hi ya-gabor,

I fully appreciate what you are saying. It will take me a long time to replace all the links. To me it's a matter of principle.

As I said, I am a stubborn, cantankerous old bugger who doesn't like being treated like a fool by a company that behaves like that. They can rot in hell for all I care!

For me, I'm quite happy to take the time. Your priorities ae different and that's fine.

I hope that I don't come over all 'preachy'. Not my intent.

Best Regards,

Alan

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Wez said:

I've uploaded one of my photos to my Flikr account, I want to edit an old post to include the image from Flikr as a test piece, how do I do this?  I've tried Insert other media but it doesn't appear to work which leads me to think I'm either doing something wrong (very likely), or I need to adjust a setting (also very likely).

Can somebody help an ant brain like myself? :bangin:

Wez, I first uploaded a couple of pics to Flickr to test last night, so I'm no expert, but what I found is;

- on upload it appears to default the photo's privacy settings to 'private'. I couldn't get them to appear on BM until I changed them to 'public' - whether this is actually necessary I don't know.I changed the setting by clicking on the photo in my photostream, when it opens, scroll down & on the right is a menu titled 'additional info', top selection is 'privacy setting' where I changed from private to public.

- to get it into BM, I clicked the right facing arrow under the picture (hovering the cursor over it shows 'share photo'), this opens a window with a URL in it & I just highlighted & copied that, and then just pasted it into the body of the post - didn't bother with the 'insert other media' thing, as I couldn't get that to work either! 

This worked fine for me, but I don't know if it is the 'right' way of doing it!

HTH

Keith

• Like 2

For a relatively newbie like myself old builds are an absolute life saver when it comes to figuring out new techniques, getting inspiration and finding reviews of kits. The fact that PB has decided out of the blue to torpedo those resources has quite frankly infuriated me. Although I can see why they did this the way they did this is absolutely unexcusable, I hope photobucket sinks to the murky depths of the internet never to surface again with its treacherous business methods.