Source of exhausts for Revell P-70 conversion to Havoc II

MigModeller

Hi all!

Where can I obtain the exhausts to convert Revell's P-70 Nighthawk to a Havoc II turbinlite?

Thanks to a review on the Militarymodelling site,  the sprues can be examined and there does not seem to be the porcupine type exhausts.

In a seperate project, for conversion to the Havoc I turbinlite, all it appears to need are cylindrical exhausts, extended air intake, a reshaped vertical rudder and reshaped rear engine cowling.  Is that correct?

I'm hoping Revell might re-release it with RAF decals and appropiate parts.

Thanks for considering my questions.

M.M.

IIRC, the MPM boxing of the Turbinlite Mk II comes with correct resin porcupine exhausts, but that doesn't help much, since you are converting the Revell P-70 into a Turbinlite II. The exhausts are long and have a straight taper, so robbing a Beaufighter or Beaufort kit for a pair would not work. Sorry!

Mike

12 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

The exhausts are long and have a straight taper

Thanks Mike, That the exhausts for a Havoc I.  Also missing.

At least now I know why they were missing:unamused:

M.M.

Edited by MigModeller
Omission

I guess it's the latest "black box" release that you have ? The legacy P-70 kit based on the even older Boston III mould doesn't seem to Feature any dampening exhausts.

IIRC the Havoc I are ex-Belgian (or French ? I always confuse them) DB-7s (without any letter Suffix). Those had P&W R-1830 engines, not the R-2600 as the DB-7A, B and A-20s, with more or less completely different nacelles. Try to obtain the Alcorn/Bentley drawings, they are essential in getting at least a base understanding of the various marks.

***Edit: As of course the Havoc II were the French DB-7As, the I's must have been both Belgian and French, I guess...***

Edited by tempestfan

I think you need to look at the fin.  DB-7s had a smaller one than the later A-20 based aircraft, such as the P-70.  I've only got the old Revell kit from the 60s, so can't comment on the "Nighthawk"

The Belgians didn't get any DB-7s.  I suppose that they may have ordered them...  Wiki says 16 were diverted from the French at some stage, but I think that the French would have been too keen to get them themselves, so have some doubt.

1 hour ago, tempestfan said:

I guess it's the latest "black box" release that you have ?

Try to obtain the Alcorn/Bentley drawings, they are essential in getting at least a base understanding of the various marks.

Luckily, not yet!

Sound advice now I'm appreciatng how far from straightforward this is turning out to be. 

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Edited by MigModeller

5 hours ago, MigModeller said:

Hi all!

Where can I obtain the exhausts to convert Revell's P-70 Nighthawk to a Havoc II turbinlite?

Thanks to a review on the Militarymodelling site,  the sprues can be examined and there does not seem to be the porcupine type exhausts.

In a seperate project, for conversion to the Havoc I turbinlite, all it appears to need are cylindrical exhausts, extended air intake, a reshaped vertical rudder and reshaped rear engine cowling.  Is that correct?

I'm hoping Revell might re-release it with RAF decals and appropiate parts.

Thanks for considering my questions.

M.M.

Are these of any use?

resized_26c7597b-971d-4627-bc4e-f817b0fe

e7bafc5e-295b-48d4-89f1-dae00d61741c.jpg

8f148506-0f40-4121-a016-5bbe1b7a9419.jpg

5ef73f61-e380-492c-a257-b914f4024d83.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:26 AM, MigModeller said:

Thanks Mike, That the exhausts for a Havoc I.  Also missing.

At least now I know why they were missing:unamused:

M.M.

DB,

Here's a link to a review of the  MPM Havoc Turbinlite kit, with sprue shots and a list of references; H in the UK has them listed for $24USD and there are some on that well-known e-place, but they want ridiculous prices for them. I don't think any aftermarket outfit did the Turbinlite II exhausts. If you are planning to use the Revell kit, you would not only have to build/source the parts unique to the Turbinlite II, but would also need to do a cockpit/observer's station as well as replace the thick kit  transparencies, so you would probably be over the cost of the MPM kit, which already has everything you would need. I think there  was an aftermarket etched set for the Turbinlites, but I don't recall the maker, as that is not a version I have had any interest in. The MPM kits are the class of the field in 1/72 scale, though. Good luck on your project.

Mike

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/MPM/MPM_Douglas_Havoc_II_Turbinlite/MPM_Douglas_Turbinlite.html

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

Hi

There is a highplanes kit, think it is still available, but it does look very basic in its quality of mold 

but maybe worth cross kitting ? 

cheers

jerry

havoc I 

small tail

http://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-douglas-havoc-1-raf-intruder-kit-1-72/

mkII

larger tail 

http://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-douglas-p-70-boston-usaaf-havoc-ii-raf-kit-1-72/

Hi Mig, 

not sure the scale im presuming this would be 1/72nd if so i think but could ve wrong but redroo models out of australia did have some porcupine exhausts which if memory serves were for havocs. Again not sure but its worth a look. Hope im correct and if so hope it all works out for you. 

Dennis

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Red Roo Models out of Australia did have some porcupine exhausts which if memory serves were for Havocs.

Unfortunately not the right sort and not the right scale for the OP,

https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo-resin-148/boston-hedgehog-exhausts-148-/

Scratch building those for the TL Havoc doesn't look too difficult.