Airfix Vintage FW190D - A bit of illness required to kick-start the actual return…

I checked in as a ‘new member’ some time ago and wondered if I would ever move from ‘collecting’ to ‘modelling’ again. The opportunity was thrust upon me when I got that 7-day flu bug thing last month and felt so unwell that I even stayed off work for a day!

This brought back the memory of what I would do if ill as a kid at Primary School and one occasion came back to me when I was confined to bed but handed an Airfix FW190D (red stripe, bagged) by a sympathetic parent.

As others have said, the form in those days was build in a day, paint and decals on by the next day, although in my early days, I didn’t even stop to paint.

So in doing this build to re-create the therapeutic effect, I felt I wanted to build OOB, undercarriage up in flight mode (always my favourite), build using cement not liquid glue, take the fit as it comes with no filling, then paint with Humbrol enamels using brushes. I had a lap tray on which to contain the build and materials and this proved handy in the later stages when putting away between sessions.

So, away I went – what did I have in the stash but a red stripe bagged FW190D (wow, the ‘box art’ takes me back!) but also a ‘blister’ version with the same picture. The bagged kit is from the right era but my ‘collector’ gene kicked in and I decided to ‘keep’ that and build the kit in the blister pack. However, this means I will miss out on the ‘locate and cement…’ style instructions as the blister pack version is visual only.

100_1108

100_1109100_1111

Only 24 pieces in this kit and the long nose shape looks great – being young back then, this was the ‘real’ shape for an FW190 and I can remember being a bit puzzled when I saw later kits of the FW190A with the big and short nose with radial engine, which just wasn’t right to my eyes!

First off, propeller mounted to the engine front and glued to the spindle without seizing up – I left the fit a bit loose rather than pressing hard together - fantastic, when I blow, the propeller spins freely so I’m looking forward to possibly taking a final action photo with the airstream provided by a hairdryer. I’m over the moon because I only ever thought you were able to do this on kits with radial engines due to the longer spindle lengths through the engine blocks – in this case, the spindle goes through a separate cowling rather than just the fuselage front.

Fuselage together and pilot glued to his ‘pins’ – no seat in this kit. Wing sections glued together OK but now realising that this kit has flash which needs trimmed off with a craft knife and the fit of the wings and stabilisers to the fuselage isn’t good. The fuselage has a distinct seam which I sanded with an emery board (for fingernails) and the front will need trimming before the engine cowling can go on – in fact, while trying to press it all together for a dry fit, I broke a propeller blade!

100_1112

100_1115

100_1116100_1120

Just for comparison, I opened up the bagged version of the kit, which I believe was made perhaps some 10 years earlier and tried a dry fit of the main components – very very much better without any trimming required! Was a quality control problem creeping in with Airfix kits?

100_1118

100_1119

So, engine cowling on, glued the propeller blade back on, then stabilisers and this is where the cement comes into its own – as it dries, I can ‘babysit’ the final ‘square’ position of both sides by constantly checking/adjusting as they harden up.

100_1124

Wings on and there seems to be a tremendous dihedral! (I’ve seen someone else make that comment as well). The kit instructions say 7 degrees but I can’t get that technical – the wings need to sit as they fit with as little gap as possible top and bottom. (Some time later, I measured the height of the wingtips above, reminded myself of basic geometry and calculated the dihedral as approx. 13 degrees! Oh well…)

As I said earlier, my younger self always built the kits with undercarriage up and here I had to return to the written instructions for the bagged kit to find that the locating pins had to be cut off the undercarriage legs to allow them to fit in the wheel wells – also the wheel spindles but I had to work that out for myself. The legs were not such a good fit when glued in place but that may have been due to my eyesight during trimming – must do better. Also, I later realised when looking at the re-tooled FW190D-9 kit from 1978 that you should actually be able to see part of the main undercarriage wheels when stowed – not so on this early kit but again, younger self not aware of this sort of detail.

100_1126

Air intake, tailwheel, cannons and aerial (what an awkward position!) on and clear stand assembled – broke that also as this later version has two pins to mate the upright to the base and was a bad fit, rather than the solid tab on the version in the bagged kit which could no doubt stand a bit more robust assembly – not an improvement for the better! I’ll leave the canopy off until the pilot is painted.

I just noticed the bulges in the upper wing surfaces were not aligned with the 20mm cannons in the inboard positions – a bit of investigation revealed that the FW190D-13 may have had these bulges for the extra 30mm cannons in the outer wings and the kit header is more specific in confirming the kit is indeed representative of this model (although the blister and bagged kits disagree in listing armament and neither list the additional outer wing cannons). This means then that I will have to remember to paint in the additional 20mm cannon firing through the engine and spinner.

Ready to paint…

100_1148

Need to sort the colours out – the instructions say ‘M25’ for the fuselage and undersurfaces and M3/M17 combination in splinter camouflage for the upper surfaces and fuselage mottling in M13/M2?   It looks like you also paint in the visible section of the main undercarriage wheels if the undercarriage is up. There is a yellow band on the fuselage in M15.

What are these colours? – back again to the written instructions for the bagged kit and it says quite simply Pale Blue / Olive Green M.3 / Dark Green (with no painting in of wheels)

I had to search on the Intranet to check Airfix/Humbrol colours and M25 comes up as Matt Aircraft Blue / Hu65, which is indeed a pale blue.

Olive Green M3 comes up as Matt Dark Green Hu30 so what will I use for ‘Dark Green'? M17 is Matt Bronze Green at Hu75.

How about a search for ‘Olive Green’? There is light Olive at Hu86 and Olive Drab at Hu66 (too dark) and Hu155. I’ll stick with the Hu30.

M15 is Hu99 ‘Matt Lemon’.

The M13/M2 colours are greys rather than greens and certainly the header picture seems to support that but I think I'll stick to the colours on the bagged kit - that's what my younger self would have done.

Black is easy so pilot painted with a black jacket and brown leather helmet – needed the magnifying glass to paint on face and goggle lenses and could see pretty good detail on the plastic. (The bagged kit instructions suggested painting the pilot before gluing in but his head and shoulders will only be visible. I did run the brush down his back but didn’t think it worth painting on seat straps).

Propeller blades painted in black and spinner in Hu30 as a test – does indeed look like Olive so will use as the lighter colour on the top surfaces. Cockpit surround lip also painted in Olive and I will glue on the canopy with PVA glue which dries clear to avoid a frosty look (picked up that tip from other model build reviews). Got so enthusiastic that I painted the cowling - why??

Exhaust stubs initially painted in brown (rust same as for RAF fighters?). When painting the exhaust stubs, I noticed that there are 7 each side - is this a 14-cylinder Jumo 213 rather than a 12? I think I will consider the front ‘stubs’ to be simply cowlings and paint them pale blue rather than brown or black (as on some reference pictures I saw). Note, references now readily available on the Internet were not available when I was young so the kit painting instructions and box art would be the only guide.

100_1153

Canopy frame painted by hand – needed the magnifying glass again and used a hard plastic stick to gently ‘draw’ the paint on the raised canopy detail – looks OK at a distance but I must think up a better way without masking – I never painted canopies when I was young. Stuck the canopy on with the PVA glue – looks good and you now get ‘an impression’ of the pilot behind. Later, I realised that there is a ‘spine’ of canopy along the top – very faint - so I resorted to masking tape for that.

100_1156

Also, the painting instructions on the blister kit indicate that the wing roots are painted in olive/green colours where the bagged kit indicates pale blue – the wing root gives a clear line to paint to so I’ll try that.

Painted the fuselage and undersurfaces with the pale blue – lovely colour and will need a second coat – reminded myself to be patient and not to apply a thick coat for speed, which would start to obscure the surface detail. At the wing edges, I used the ‘flick-off’ method with the brush to try to create a straight edge at the joint in the wing halves – usually works well.

100_1161

100_1161_zpshewxeotd.jpg

Painted the upper wings with the Matt Olive Hu66 but this turned out darker than the Hu30 (already on the spinner) so will have to be used as the dark green.

Second coat of the pale blue on fuselage and undersurfaces – looks good.

100_1177

Mottling with dark green on the fuselage upper surfaces – got my smallest brush and cut the bristles really short to ’stipple’ – must be a good scale equivalent of the brush used by the ground crew? Quite hard to resist an even mottle and achieve the grading to heavier mottle on the top surface Repainted the spinner but the photo shows I missed a bit!

100_1187

Used Tamiya masking tape to create the lines for the splinter camouflage on the wings and stabilisers upper surfaces – tried to follow the pattern shown on the painting instructions of the bagged kit. Also masked the rear fuselage for the yellow band and there is actually a couple of handy raised panel lines – not shown on the bagged kit painting instructions but is included on the ‘box-art’ picture on the paper header.

100_1188

Painted on the Hu30 Olive and looks great. Painted the yellow band and this needed two coats. Removed the masking and touched in a couple of places on the Dark Green where the Olive had bled under the masking tape – at raised panel lines. Also re-visited the spinner.

100_1191100_1190

100_1193

Decided to revisit the exhaust stubs to do again in black and took the opportunity to add some Pale Blue between some of them to show the covering panel set-up as I have seen in some reference photos. Not going to add any exhaust staining or weathering.

Added a dot of black paint on the spinner to represent the additional cannon and finally glued on the bomb – this interferes a bit with the stand but can give the model a climbing bank if you set it right.

Painting finished – time for decals or transfers as they were known by my younger self.

100_1197

100_1199

100_1200

The decals with the blister kit look fine but I was going to save these with the bagged kit and use the ones from the bagged kit which have suffered some sort of dirty water damage. Considering my options…decided to use those from the bagged kit.

Decals go on OK but there is yellowing due to age – not too bad but most noticeable on the pale blue undersides. Is there a solution to making the yellowing disappear?

100_1213

Once the decals were on, a brush coating of matt cote varnish was applied – the first time I have used it - really improves the overall consistency of the colours and hopefully protects / anchors the decals.

Added a radio aerial from rear cockpit canopy to tail and it is finished!

100_1235100_1230

Locked down the stand with bluetac and tried for an ‘action’ shot with airstream provided by a hairdryer. It works!

100_1228

100_1227

I really enjoyed that build and found that the big pleasure was in the painting and seeing the simple model come alive. Raised panel lines and rivets are fine by me as that’s the way it was back then. I tried to keep it as close to what I would have done as a youngster as possible but the additional fact-finding and comparisons were very interesting. I think it proves that a return to modelling for us older members can be fun rather than purgatory.

Edited by Ventora3300
Photbucket links deleted, changed to Flickr
  • Like 7

Bring it on. Here is one I did earlier, close to 50 years earlier from a bagged kit like yours, my interpretation of colours from the from the bag header & mixed from a set of gloss primary colours which was all I had back then. It'll be good to see someone do a "modern" job on one. :)

TDX1.jpg

They're quite a slimmed lightweight version compared to modern kits.

Steve.

• Like 1

You have taken me back to a very happy time with this thread. I am looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Martian

• Like 1

I built loads of those in the past. Always thought it a good little kit for its time. Sure it may have faults but very buildable.  Look forward to seeing progress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Bring it on. Here is one I did earlier, close to 50 years earlier from a bagged kit like yours, my interpretation of colours from the from the bag header & mixed from a set of gloss primary colours which was all I had back then. It'll be good to see someone do a "modern" job on one. :)

TDX1.jpg

They're quite a slimmed lightweight version compared to modern kits.

Steve.

Steve, your link to pictures didn't come through - says 'third party hosting disabled'. Regards,  Mike

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

You have taken me back to a very happy time with this thread. I am looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Martian

Thanks, more coming shortly. This was definitely FUN, not purgatory. Although, if SWMBO gets wind of it, I will be! Mike

Edited by Ventora3300

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I built loads of those in the past. Always thought it a good little kit for its time. Sure it may have faults but very buildable.  Look forward to seeing progress.

Thanks, I am enjoying this one and fancied building the 'new tool' FW109D-7 as a comparison. Mike

Edited by Ventora3300

22 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Steve, your link to pictures didn't come through - says 'third party hosting disabled'. Regards,  Mike

Hi Mike, sorry, not that you're missing too much but I appear to have fallen foul of the Photobucket ripoff/blackmail/extortion racket. :(

Plotting revenge as we speak. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed journeying down this thread as I built this is the late 1960s and displayed at my junior school when we were encouraged to show what we do at home! My friend Derek and I took in allsorts of Airfix models. At that time, being from a poorish family, I was restricted to painting with whatever my dad could spare from the shed and I mixed the colours as close as I could. The mottling on this build cold easily be mine! ;). Great memories :)..... Keep up the great work. Martin   

• Like 1

I recently retrieved a couple of boxfuls of kits

that I'd built in the 60's & early 70's from Mum's attic.

Far from being up to todays standards but I was happy

with them at the time and I'm glad my building has improved.

Shocking to see the raised surface detail & rivets on that kit

It was one of my favourites back then too.

Yellowed decals. Place in clear plastic bag, tape bag  to sunny

window for a couple of days at least.

16 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I've enjoyed journeying down this thread as I built this is the late 1960s and displayed at my junior school when we were encouraged to show what we do at home! My friend Derek and I took in allsorts of Airfix models. At that time, being from a poorish family, I was restricted to painting with whatever my dad could spare from the shed and I mixed the colours as close as I could. The mottling on this build cold easily be mine! ;). Great memories :)..... Keep up the great work. Martin   

Many thanks Martin. Kids these days (including my own) are missing out. I also had the experience of using spare paint from my Dad's cupboard - painted a P-51 silver with some thick metal paint and I remember it took a week to dry, and smelled forever... It was the splinter camo that I enjoyed as the first time attempted with masking tape. Cheers!

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 19:16, Pete in Lincs said:

I recently retrieved a couple of boxfuls of kits

that I'd built in the 60's & early 70's from Mum's attic.

Far from being up to todays standards but I was happy

with them at the time and I'm glad my building has improved.

Shocking to see the raised surface detail & rivets on that kit

It was one of my favourites back then too.

Yellowed decals. Place in clear plastic bag, tape bag  to sunny

window for a couple of days at least.

Many thanks for the tip, Pete. I'll try it on the next build as I have a vintage Do217E-2 in mind. I wish I'd kept my collection of models from the last century - I think I gave them away to a younger cousin. All the best. Mike

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1