1/48 Arii P-40E Kittyhawk - "a desert relic"

so here i am once again starting a new project before i've finished the previous ones. 

the project

The idea is not to simply build a p-40 but to reproduce this plane: 

you may have heard an italian group has found an almost pristine p40 crashed in the sahara desert years ago. 

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014/05/sahara-desert-wrecked-p-40-kittyhawk-dennis-copping/

there's an insane amount of picture of the crashed plane, so it's perfect for making a model

the kit

The kit i've chosen is the p-40E produced by Arii in 1/48 scale 

313636-12155-76-pristine.jpg

a couple of words about the kit. It just arrived, i've opened it, inspected it a bit and i have to say...........don't buy it.  the kit is old, the sprues are full of flashings, the number of parts is low, the overall details are disappointing, definitely not crisp or fine. The cockpit sucks, the pilot figurine is so bad it has a hole in it.  on the good side, it has nice decals and you can realize more versions than the one shown on the box or on the instructions. 

Well, why have i chosen this than? for the following reasons:

- i couldn't find really many p40 kits. 

- the kit has an engine, wich i will need for my particular subject

- it is at least fully riveted and present full details on its skin, wich will be usefull when i'll have to go to reproduce all the damages.

in the end i'm confidend this kit will at least be a good base to work on to obtain the result i have in mind.

• Like 3

so, i'll start with one thing: i've bought a bag of sand from the modelling shop ( it was less than a 1€ ) but it doesn't seem fit for the job. The color is not right, the grain seems too big. Where can i buy a bag of sand that would fit the project? or what can i use in place of the sand? 

the sand i would need to reproduce has a very fine grain and is more or less mustard color 

article-2142300-1304D0F1000005DC-212_964

• Like 2

Impossible to get it accurate, but: I use beach sand which I then put through a fine sieve. I use the fine stuff which comes through, almost sand dust, for fine and the left overs for where I want a sandy stoney desert

• Like 1

ok, first step. The propeller

these are the original pictures showing the p-40 propeller

a8a60685c06e8cab73c4d4e80d71b0f4.png

96ba17207c74debe59451568dc474e86.jpg

and here's what i've come up with:

the kit propeller was made of three parts ( the prop, the nosecone and the back panel ). i've:

- drilled holes in the backpanel

-  bent the propeller blades with a lighter

-  cut the tip of the cone

-  added some details with plasticards

- realized a second plate with a sheet of brass

- added a clog from a watch to show some mechanics

so here it is disassembled:

pAwD9uR.jpg

and here assembled and primed

XGwRqLf.jpg

KOW4FIy.jpg

gdGU3fv.jpg

• Like 9

the Box

the tail door is open and you can see a box with wires and fuses in it ( i have no clue what is it )

056qWoD.jpg

3fC6pda.jpg

i decided to realize the detail. I'm not adding too much details since it's almost impossible to see it:

q7ccqVf.jpg

Mrj2aEh.jpg

• Like 11

Lovely work. I recall when the photos first came online. 

The pilot perished there but this will make a suitable memory to him. 

The battery from the last compartment was made in Australia. 

Grant

• Like 2

It would seem that a diorama of its current state could be made from plasticard and microstrip.  Simply mock up a shipping container and it's done.

Not the happiest story all round it's safe to say.

Good luck with the model though.

When the pictures first came out there was more than one keyboard expert who insisted it WAS a model....

Edited by Vicarage Vee
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Wonderful project.    I wonder what has happened to it since the discovery those few years ago.

this article is one year old, don't know if there has been some developement:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/04/21/the-p-40-kittyhawk-found-in-the-desert-where-is-it-now-its-not-a-good-ending/

making it short a museum has exchanged it for a spitfire, they gave the spitfire and got nothing in return. The plane may possibly be still  packed up in a container in egypt. 

the engine

ok, some more details, this time is the engine. this is the engine of the plane, as you can see there's a lot of damage, some of it resulting directly from the crash some of it from the 60 years spent in the desert.

HFJ9R7q.jpg

as i said the Arii kit  provided an engine but it was no surprise that the details of such engine were once again really poor so it required some work.

the engine is just made out of two parts.

EtbGY5k.jpg

so i've cut the gearbox ( you can see it connected to the propeller in the previous pictures ),  and i've separated the two engine heads removing some material in the middle since the arii kit didn't even represent that.  I've than added a plasticard disc to fill the front hole and stuck a clock clog in it to add detail. Modelling Tip: If you ever going to do something like this project, like a crashed plane or a plane under maintenance, wirstwatches are the perfect source for clogs to use. You can buy a cheap one for a couple of dollars, open it take the clogs and throw the rest away. You can than use them for fans, gearbox, clogs, etc.

than i've used electric wires, green stuff and plasticard in order to add details all around. On the hood i've added ribs with a brass sheet. 

FzWYyx4.jpg 

m5SfiXM.jpg

in the end this is the result after applying gray primer ( i've dryfitted the engine on its support just to give an idea of how it looks

rtwBJ3J.jpg

KvNibEn.jpg

pZargcU.jpg

i think it went out pretty well. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 6

Last i read on this about 2-3 months ago is that it got moved to a goverment facility for storage shortly after it was discovered. I believe a military base, but i've also heard a police compound. Then it hasnt moved because of all  that wonderful fun calked the arab spring and coup in egypt. Its just been sitting in the secure storage location. I also remember reading that the guns would have still functioned (just needed lubricating and power). Haven't heard or seen much since i looked into doing just what you're doing. Good luck i do like what i've seen with the prop and engine so far. And i do like the idea of using the cheap watch for parts. Might borrow that one from you. 

• Like 1

Keep up the good work!!!

The last that I've heard of it was that the Bedouin people, who somehow completely missed it untill that discovery by European team, stripped it bare right after the discovery. Whatever is resting in that police compound is a skeleton.

So much for the Sons of Sahara...

As for base and sand I suggest that you make a solid base out of sand, water and white glue and then pay a visit to an art store and buy a dry pastel bar of an appropriate color, ground it to a fine pulver and dust the base while its still wt and sticky. Ofc. that's just the basic stuff and you'll have to tweak it some more to get that photorealistic look.

Josip

Edited by Josip
  • Like 1

By the time that the recovery team dismantled the aircraft the guns and ammunition had been removed by official sources and some extra damage (including shooting some bullets into the airframe) had occurred as had the removal of parts including (but probably not limited to) the sight on the cowling and some cockpit instruments. However, as recovered it certainly wasn't stripped bare.  it was five years ago now that it was removed from the desert.

• Like 1

On Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2017 at 6:30 PM, cambridge said:

the sand i would need to reproduce has a very fine grain and is more or less mustard color

Several options: China clay (which is white) or ground chalk mixed with the appropriate amount of ochre pigment.

Use a fine modeling clay (which will be better to hold the required shape anyway) and tint it with water soluble paint.

• Like 1

cockpit

as usual the kit stock cockpit sucks. It's intended to be kept closed and with the pilot in it, so they didn't feel the need to add much detail.  

I've cut part of the fuselage.

i've cut away two windows to reflect the damage :

rO1Kz2H.jpg

than i've realized an instrument panel with brass

zjufUAn.jpg

realized a seat and other details like handles and wires

79SWcGS.jpg

primed it

glsywDm.jpg

zbdhEWk.jpg

bk3G2hO.jpg

dx1SgWY.jpg

the cockpit windows will be dust/dirt so you'll basically be able to see details only from the broken window. Also the bottom of the cockpit will be covered in sand. 

• Like 4

cutting parts from the fuselage: i've cut part of the nose, the tail door, the control surfaces, one flap and the ammo box doors on the wings. i'll have to build skeletons for all the missing surfaces and ammo box and ammo doors for the wings. 

fcjvd6x.jpg

oa1hai3.jpg

i've also created the skeleton for the tail horizontal control surface . i tried to drill holes right in the model tail but it was coming out a mess so i decided to make it from scratch out of plasticard. 

IcAlGSO.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 4

i've also painted the cockpit ( as i've shown before this is almost all scratch built ) 

tDMj26T.jpg

ZVrFX2H.jpg

EEp12MP.jpg

this is how it looks once assembled

tcJ9UeW.jpg

and this is what you actually will be able to see once the canopy is on, considering the windows will be sand dirty and the only one you can see trough is the open one

Wfx276K.jpg

please consider i still have to weather it, wich in this case means filling it with sand and dusting the panel.

modelling tip: you know when you take a sprue and you make it thin pulling it after you've melted with a flame? once you have the wire you can put the wire extremity on the flame, it makes a little ball.  Now you have a perfect handle to put in your cockpit, better than the flat photoetched ones. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 7

On 28/6/2017 at 1:27 PM, cambridge said:

Well, why have i chosen this than? for the following reasons:

- i couldn't find really many p40 kits. 

- the kit has an engine, wich i will need for my particular subject

- it is at least fully riveted and present full details on its skin, wich will be usefull when i'll have to go to reproduce all the damages.

in the end i'm confidend this kit will at least be a good base to work on to obtain the result i have in mind.

Actually, the Otaki/Arii kit is the best choice for a derelict! :bleh:

:yahoo:Noooiiiceee project! 

You'll get the perfect alibi for trying to correct the wrong sweep of the wings, then. The leading edge should be pushed a tad forward from root to tip. It's a nice kit for an abandoned aircraft diorama, which I did in my case.

Will be following your work; so far, so good! Incidentally, awesome idea on the exhaust stacks!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

ok, i've done some more work:

painting and weathering

i've painted the engine and i've added sand to the cockpit

bLxmHuP.jpg

c9qVZbi.jpg

SzfSybL.jpg

UI8SrT3.jpg

i've also started to assemble the wings and i depicted the detail of damages on them:

jnd9cpr.jpg

ZbOSREQ.jpg

mwNVJHi.jpg

• Like 3

ok, another update.

i've managed to realize the skeletons of the wing and tail surfaces using plasticard

MVwpHTd.jpg

fGKl5hB.jpg

i know they're not perfect but considering they need to represent a plane that has crashed and been in the desert for 70 years the fact that they're a little rough is actually good. 

than i've finished assemmbling the hood both on the inside, adding a little frame that you should be able to see and adding weathering to it

DNmSeXU.jpg

and on the outside, adding the ruined bent panels 

jW6uD6o.jpg

WddzisT.jpg

than i've finally finished weathering of cockpit and glued it to half of the body

n9YXj9E.jpg

FESRZcn.jpg

Q0NrPlc.jpg

i've added some tubes i still have to trim at the right lenght.

the two fuselage halves are almost ready to be assembled, i may be doing that tomorrow

this is a dry fitting of the plane just to give an idea of how it will look once assembled

SfoA8hh.jpg

LuTSWoQ.jpg

• Like 9

On 30/6/2017 at 12:51, Vicarage Vee said:

By the time that the recovery team dismantled the aircraft the guns and ammunition had been removed by official sources and some extra damage (including shooting some bullets into the airframe) had occurred as had the removal of parts including (but probably not limited to) the sight on the cowling and some cockpit instruments. However, as recovered it certainly wasn't stripped bare.  it was five years ago now that it was removed from the desert.

in fact i find pictures of the relic evidentely taken in different moments showing different type of damages. I'm trying to stay true to those who i think were the first pictures taken, the one showing less damages.

i find it absolutely amazing, the plane slept in the desert for 70 years and survived almost immaculate, than somebody find it by accident and in a matter of months it gets more damages than in the last 70 years.

by the way i've found some pictures of the actual recovery

http://www.qattara.it/60-173 Kittyhawk.htm

• Like 2
  • Sad 1