Zvezda Star Destroyer- Build #2

So I picked up from Age of Plastic on Shapeways his Tantive and two pack of Falcon's. Thanks to Shapeways, they actually sent me three Falcons and then the Mouse slammed his fist down and the Falcons got removed from the site. I think mine were the last to make it out alive.
The Tantive is a marvel of miniature 3D printed engineering being design to be lit. And that's what I did. Each engine tube is hollow to accept 1mm fiber. The main body of the ship is also hollow to run a 1mm fiber up to the open cockpit window. To light this little beastie I solder up two Pico LEDs and glued them back to back. The forward facing LED would light the fiber for the cockpit and the rear facing would light the 11 fibers for the engines. Each of these fibers were mushroomed and then pushed into the engines. I gave the rear LED a few coats of Tamiya clear Yellow.
This will be mounted on the base with the Zvezda giving chase. In the pictures below you can see how tiny the Tantive is.

2edp103.jpg
xc9kp1.jpg

An early lighting test of the cockpit and engines.
tarocz.jpg
9a7b0k.jpg

After some light blocking and primer coats.
fuuvwj.jpg
v7ujrn.jpg

And yes, the tiny, tiny Falcon is being lit as well. I drilled a groove in the bottom hull to accept a Pico LED. This was epoxied in place. Its hard to get good pictures of this as it's so dang tiny!!!
juya6s.jpg
2u6gz9v.jpg

A coat of black and then grey primer followed up by Tamiya AS-20.
903ui1.jpg
2dwi2vq.jpg

I sanded the engine panel after final paint to reveal the semi transparent print material. I also did the same for the cockpit. And of course, the camera couldn't focus well and over exposed the light. It's not that bright in person. I'll try and get some better pics today.
2dre59f.jpg

• Like 7

tip top on the lighting there. I've got a collection of Tantive's and Falcons printed up from Shapeways for my Zvezda, Anigrand and Randy Cooper ISD's - not sure I posses your skills with the Fibre Optics in that scale though...

NICE

• Like 1

Hats off to the guy that soldered the wires on those pico LEDs, they look like 0401 SMDs which are 1mm x 0.3mm, tiny, tiny little things!!

The two ships look brilliant lit up.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'll have more to post over the next few days.

Not sure what size the LEDs are, but yeah, they are TINY. Soldering up a few is not bad, doing many would try my patience! I use the squeeze to open pointy tweezers to hold them while I solder.

• Like 1

looks brilliant - looking at this tiny little gem leaves me hearing that background siren warning horn as the little Tantive was being drawn in by the Devastator just before the Tie boarding party busted their way in with Vader and his troops

quite superb miniature and delicate work - now where's the chasing Devastator model that was hot on it's heels???

John

Hi Directorcass

Here's a treat for you - photographed on Saturday at Star Wars Identies in London (my 2nd visit to the exhibition) - this is the real Avenger used in ESB & RoTJ - I have plenty more shots if you need them

DSCF6825_zps1tpruyo9.jpg

DSCF6821_zpsdslwgknu.jpg

hope this helps you with your Zvezda

John

• Like 4

Here is the finished 1/2700 Falcon. It's so hard to get any clear pictures of it! The engines are not as bright in person, it's much more realistic. And yes, light is shining through the canopy as well.

Officially the smallest model I have ever lit!!!!

30259w0.jpg
mtv4zm.jpg
dxgu1l.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:38 PM, directorcass said:

Ah, very cool pictures. Would love to see more of them here.

here you go my friend - hope it helps your Zvezda build - I took these to get my Randy Cooper build detailed in areas where I am uncertain

PS - that Falcon is I N C R E D I B L E - I know exactly how tiny it is as I bought the same 3D shapeway pieces for my un-started Zvezda kit and they even make the old 1/2 penny piece look big.

DSCF6831_zpswucpfm9c.jpg

DSCF6829_zpsffv2af0j.jpg

DSCF6828_zpsiafswpf3.jpg

DSCF6824_zpsiygb5ebe.jpg

DSCF6823_zps5vmnbmtg.jpg

DSCF6804_zpsv0bww1iz.jpg

DSCF6803_zpsyzqkpuye.jpg

DSCF6797_zpsk6mz9uli.jpg

DSCF6796_zpsjjawtuxq.jpg

DSCF6794_zpswtk3hhhq.jpg

DSCF6792_zpsbd90hvql.jpg

and last but not least - all that's left of Jabba the Hutt - his eyes !!

DSCF6788_zpsjksfomsj.jpg

spooky or what !

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic pictures gimme shelter! Enjoying your Cooper build log.

Sadly, progress on mine has slowed as I had a heart attack 2.5 weeks ago along with a 7 artery open heart bypass. Slowly getting back into it though.

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, directorcass said:

Fantastic pictures gimme shelter! Enjoying your Cooper build log.

Sadly, progress on mine has slowed as I had a heart attack 2.5 weeks ago along with a 7 artery open heart bypass. Slowly getting back into it though.

oh no - that's a shocker about the old ticker - so sorry for you. Hope you get back to feeling well enough to model again soon - John

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, directorcass said:

Thanks, getting stronger every day. My surgeon said he has never seen anyone recover as quickly as I have so far.

good news - hope your are back at the modelling bench soon feeling better and ready to take on life once again - all the best from the "other star destroyer builder"