Welsh Models 1/144 Handley Page Herald

Following on from the fairly straightforward and "modern" injection moulded DC-4, I decided to have another stab at a vac form. My last attempt failed miserably but hopefully this one will get to the end.

The kit in question is Welsh Models' Handley Page Herald. It is essentially all vac form with the exception of the engines which are cast in resin. Propellers, undercarriage etc are in white metal;. Aerials will need to be made from scrap plastic and stretched sprue.

The kit comes with a nice decal sheet for Channel Express who were one of the last users of the Herald, operating them on freight and newspaper flights into the 1990s. However, I wanted to do mine in a more nostalgic (for me) scheme.

The Heralds of BIA were a common sight at Dublin Airport all through the 1970s when I was a keen spotter. Indeed, the very same aircraft had been common for a large part of the 1960s as well when they operated in British United Island Airways colours. I'm going to complete it in BIA colours.

The 2-6 Decal Sheet shown below contains registrations for all the Heralds BIA operated in the red scheme. The colour instructions are not quite accurate although from what I can see from looking through as many colour pictures I could find on the internet, no two BIA Heralds were painted identically. Some BIA Heralds also had the black and white striped propeller blades which were tried on a number of aircraft in the 1970s - so I'm tempted to do one of those.
The smaller sheet shown underneath is the original Welsh Models decal sheet that they originally included with the Herald when it was first released well over 30 years ago. I'm tempted to keep this to one side for use on a BIA DC-3 project.

I always had a soft spot for the Herald which I looked on as the plucky British underdog to the much more successful Fokker F-27 Friendship which outsold the Herald by a factor of about 20 to 1.

I had cut out the main components ages ago but here's some pictures of the assembly work so far.

ZxVwYJZB.jpg

0ZG48sE0.jpg

XSZg1jzk.jpg

ZzbdDzbl.jpg

gJML8CYS.jpg

mFKf7Ciu.jpg

riYBc0sc.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Eric.

Before you attach the engine nacelles to the wing, have a word with Viking (John) about the positioning of these.  I seem to recall that if you attached the nacelle to the wing in the indicated position it throws the thrust lines way out

John did have a thread here about these issues but I can't find it at the moment.

Chris.

• Like 1

Hmm.. Inspiring me to get hold of one and do 'PWE of BIA to add to my collection of types I've flown in. Will follow this with interest.

Welsh Models now do the Herald in a resin rather than vacform, which should be easier.  Hannants have some, or look on the Welsh Models website.  However, I'm sure they'd be equally glad for you to buy some of their old stock.

Nice start Eric, and a great colour scheme you have chosen.

Chris Stringbag is correct, I did build one of these a while ago and listed a few pointers about it In this thread

Looking forward to seeing progress on this!

Cheers

John

Off to look at your build :)

Which I've now done. I discovered I'd even posted a comment on the thread back in 2014 - which I'd forgotten about.

It's probably too late now to correct some features as I've essentially assembled the main components now but I'll be mindful of the engines which I have yet to tackle.

Did you hollow out the exhausts on the engines and, if so, how did you go about it?

Edited by Eric Mc

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been made.

The white metal propellers provided in the kit are not quite right for the Herald. Although they are the types used on some Dart engined aircraft (the F-27 and the HS748 for example), the Herald's propellers had rounded tips rather than squared off tips. So that needed correcting.

vtexeeMT.jpg

The resin engines have now been attached to the wings - using superglue - and the resultant fairly large gaps filled and blended in. Next will be yet another coat of grey primer to check if further filling is required. Vacforms are all about filling, sanding, blending, priming and repeating that process until everything looks right.

WTFr5cgz.jpg

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 7

Further to the build, I was wondering if anybody might have an idea as to what shade of red BIA actually used? Although 2-6 decals provide a full set of colours for the tail fin, I am pretty sure it will need to be touched up once the decal has been provided. The red BIA used had a strong orange content and I was curious if anybody such as Xtracolour or even Halfords had a red shade that matched BIA's. The alternative is to do a bit of mixing.

For the red Eric, I think I would use Xtracrylix Red Arrows red because its more orange and not really the Reds true  colour Even in model form.

• Mike changed the title to Welsh Models 1/144 Handley Page Herald
  • 2 weeks later...

Undercoating and priming is now in progress. The engines will also receive a coat of Tamiya Gloss Black as they will eventually be painted to represent a natural metal finish.

The control surfaces (ailerons, rudder, elevators) have been pre-shaded so that the corrugations have a better chance of standing out when the top coat of white and red gets applied. Black areas have been painted chordwise across the tailplanes because these had a black area painted on them to lessen the visibility of exhaust staining from the two Rolls Royce Darts.

In searching through numerous colour photographs of BIA Heralds, it is amazing how much variety there was in the application of what should have been a fairly standard colour scheme. Some of the aircraft had white painted engines and some had the engines left in their unpainted natural metal state. I've gone for the latter look as it makes the model a little more interesting.

Other differences can be seen in radio antenna fits.

P6dlm49Q.jpg

HqAscGqm.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Here it is as it stands at the moment. The basic colours are on although there is a lot more detail painting and, of course, decaling to do. The tail colours will actually be a decal but I wanted a red tail as an underlay in order to ensure that the leading and trailing edges of the fin were properly coloured as I know from experience that there will be a gap in those locations when the tail fin decal is applied.

The next immediate task is paint the propellers in their characteristic chequered pattern and I will also need to paint the undercarriage legs and wheels. Another task will be to fabricate the undercarriage doors from plastic card.

7QMJbRpL.jpg

iIPuXSCM.jpg