Spitfire XVI 1/72

As a quick(ish) filler between other stalled projects I have chucked this one together. 

Spit_XVI_1_zpsc1ivb0jk.jpg

Spit_XVI_2_zpsxuk2tgzg.jpg

I intend doing HT-A.  Now the AMS kicks in. Instructions would have you painting the band and spinner in red. The only picture I have found online is

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p1061752406/h541e4042#h541e4042

Now assuming the roundels are the correct blue/white/red then either a filter or orthocromic film has been used.  From my eyes POV this looks like the band matches the blue shade of grey (if you see what I mean) rather than the reds. So does anyone know if the band really was red (and I go with the instructions) or I go with my gut feeling and go with roundel blue?

Cheers for any input :-)

Tim

• Like 3

Hmmm that is a tough one...

To me, the only difference between the 'greys' of the red and blue areas is visible on the tail rectangles. 

The greys of the red and blue of the roundel along with the grey of the band all look a very similar dark grey to me??? 

Which seems to match the darker grey (red) stripe on the tail? 

Which makes the band red I suppose. The roundel obviously wouldn't have a red outer ring but its just the way the greys have come out, very close in tone. (The way my screen shows it anyway)

The above probably doesn't help. Sorry. 

Are the only choices blue and red?  I take it the band and numeral were added for some event, a race perhaps?  Perhaps there are other examples to guide?

I say red

As a starting place look thru the pages of Flight magazine on here [for part of 1949] Some times they list the main colour and the stripe colour.

~I can't do it right now as this computer is playing silly burgers

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1949/1949 - 0943.html

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I say red

As a starting place look thru the pages of Flight magazine on here [for part of 1949] Some times they list the main colour and the stripe colour.

~I can't do it right now as this computer is playing silly burgers

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1949/1949 - 0943.html

Oh well, thats another evening spent googling rather than modelling ;-)

Thanks for the link.

Tim

On 27/06/2017 at 1:30 PM, Fishbed said:

Now assuming the roundels are the correct blue/white/red then either a filter or orthocromic film has been used.  From my eyes POV this looks like the band matches the blue shade of grey (if you see what I mean) rather than the reds. So does anyone know if the band really was red (and I go with the instructions) or I go with my gut feeling and go with roundel blue?

Cheers for any input :-)

Tim

I see what you mean, very difficult to interpret the differences but I do see what you are talking about and agree with you about the blue. The next question though is what colour is the spinner?

Gondor

If this is the Cooper Trophy, and looking at the other Spitfires in the line-up then it almost certainly is,  then it has been shown as Red on other illustrations - such as the Mk.22 of 607 Sq as issued by Airfix.  That aircraft has been photographed and published elsewhere (such as the old Aircam on Griffon Spitfires, but also on Wikipedia). 

As for matching the grey tone in the photos, bear in mind that the top of the band has a different angle of light reflection than the side.  It is the side that is seeing much the same angle of light as the fin, rather than the top.  To me, the Red appears to be the better match to the side.

Thanks for the comments all.

I'm swinging back to the red as as the colour.  I realised I was thinking of the roundel blue as being the wartime dark blue, not the postwar lighter blue this appears to have. 

Masking is done, just need time to get the airbrush out..............................

Tim

I hadn't realised that 607's RAN.4 was the next picture in the Aviation Photo Company strip.  There the band is clearly matching the Red in the flash and the roundel.  It's a lovely picture too which I hadn't seen before - I need a new mousepad...

The photos is clearly on different film and/or filter than the other.  It appears to be panchromatic whereas the former was orthochromatic, where the reds appear darker than the blue.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...