1/48 Academy MIG 29 ub

Mr B

Wow!!

time really flies and the gb is almost a go....remember like it was yesterday putting my name down for this....

anyways i will try for two builds but not too sure yet as i need to build something mirageish as well

using the academy kit to build a Malaysian Two seater. Only addition will be decals and the seats....

EIVpwl0.jpg

PJd9zOF.jpg

if all goes well and if there is time then this one too. I was intending to go with the big revell kit but since trumpy came out with one i will just have to wait and see

BUStxYP.jpg

happy modelling guys

best regards

brian

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Mr B, and a couple of great choices you have as well.

It's great to see something a bit different with the Malaysian MiG-29UB, and yes the Academy does need a few extras to get it to look right and new nozzles a probably the simplest upgrade.

I'm not sure what your second one is as for some reason none of the photos will load up....probably because I'm in the middle of nowhere as usual!

Well good luck with the build/builds, hope you enjoy them and I look forward to seeing them in the gallery.

• Like 1

Cheers and thanks for the welcome guys......yes I do agree the kit needs some upgrades.....but this will be done on a budget......only will be using what I have in the stash.......or in the....goodies drawer....been spending a lot on plastic n plastic related....stuff....as it is......I will anyhow check with the local distributor of wolf pack....as he is a mate.....if he has the nozzles in stock and if we can do a deal ....will see....if not will be as in comes from the box

thanks again guys......can't wait to start....

rgds

• Like 1

Hi folks

made a start yesterday and finised off the cockpit today. 

wCsGMSQ.jpg

07yErQb.jpg

DlHbNoH.jpg

9ti4ezf.jpg

just left for a nice flat coat n the pit is done. Looks like nothing much to put together as the next step calls for the sides to be together

rgds

brian

• Like 7

Mr.B what a start, that's incredible, seat belts, panel, instruments, the whole look too, mouth watering work. You've done nothing to my excitement level, in fact, you've set me off again. Brilliant start..

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Brian, off to a cracking start.

The instrument panels look very good indeed, did you add anything extra to them or are they as they come in the box (but with excellent painting added)?

Thanks craig.....stock standard.....just painted the individual instruments and dry brushed it until it popped ....:) as long as with some other reds and yellows around the place....

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Mr.B what a start, that's incredible, seat belts, panel, instruments, the whole look too, mouth watering work. You've done nothing to my excitement level, in fact, you've set me off again. Brilliant start..

Cheers Valkyrie......just some careful painting on already existing details.....glad you like it.....next will be to mate it all up

If all goes well....I might get my grubby paws on the big trumpeter single seater and if I do get it in time, I will try and build it for this gb too

happy Modelling folks

Brian

• Like 3

22 hours ago, trickyrich said:

WOW what an awesome job for a standard cockpit!! She looks super sweet and there's some lovely detailing paintwork, well done!!

Thanks boss man. Glad u approve :)

22 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

What a fantastic cockpit!

Thanks for the kind words. hope can steal some time soon 

happy modelling guys

brian

• Like 1

Hi Brian

Could I ask what colour you used for the blue/grey on the main cockpit panels - I'm intending to use the Eduard PE in mine and don't have anything remotely close to match it.

Suspect from the pics that you might have gone down the route of adding dark blue to grey?

Regards

Mike

5 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Brian

Could I ask what colour you used for the blue/grey on the main cockpit panels - I'm intending to use the Eduard PE in mine and don't have anything remotely close to match it.

Suspect from the pics that you might have gone down the route of adding dark blue to grey?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I used gunze 308 straight from the bottle......which states the FS number as 36375 ....In my humble opinion its not really FS 36375 but its bluish grey appeal to it.........hope this helps you out

I believe that your suggestion to add blue to grey would also work................

Rgds

Brian

• Like 1

Thanks Brian

Although the instructions call for H308, my bottle is way off the colour of the Eduard etch that was hoping to use.  It also looks quite different to your photos but that could be a trick of the lighting conditions.

I've got another unopened bottle so will give that a good shake and try it but have plenty of time to experiment with mixing to get a good match.

Mike

• Like 1

Mike 

That picture shows the cockpit to be more neturalish grey ..............oh well I kinda like it blueish grey and...........IMHO.....color PE is always hard to get the right match seen so many example where the panel is not matching the rest of the tub and I personally don't like using them.........normal PE I can tolerate to a certain extent.

Anyways ....all the best with your build...........will be taking a look see at your thread after this

Rgds

Brian

Guys

ran into some major issues ....the front n rear just could not line up.....and cause major problems on the intake doors. I have tried some stuff.... but i might withdraw it and build the single seater great wall kit in place ....will know my next week.... i think mine parts were warped....

to relieve stress.....did some work on the mirage n killed some bad guys on mafia 3

hope all others are having better luck 

rgds

brian

hi Brian, do you have any photos of the issues you're having? The brains trust here maybe able to give you some ideas or help? Would be a shame if you had to abandon this beasty.

sounds like you've found the perfect way to destress! :D

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

hi Brian, do you have any photos of the issues you're having? The brains trust here maybe able to give you some ideas or help? Would be a shame if you had to abandon this beasty.

Will try and take some tomorrow.....I agree will post tomorrow

yes  I have .... :) .....first shooter games get addictive .....

rgds

• Like 1

On 09/07/2017 at 5:24 PM, trickyrich said:

The mayhem

Xur2oEw.jpg

Z3IHNF4.jpg

3Bxypkj.jpg

i followed the advise of a good mate by glueing the front n back then top n bottom but somehow...it just did not line up at all as one side never sat. I think will be able to pull it it off.... but i just am fedup of sanding 🙄

Rgds

brian

OH! that is a nasty gap!

You mentioned one side never sat? Do you mean one side did not line up? Do you have any gaps with the side joins?

With the lower side as long as the fuselage pieces are level or nearly level then that gap can easily be fix with filling it with some stretched sprue. If the heights are quite uneven then you could drill a couple of small holes the diameter of some sprue then insert as couple of pieces a wedges to help even up the heights. It'll be a bit fiddly but two small holes are much easier to fix than splitting and rejoining the fuselage.

If the joins on the side are the issues then can you post a photos of than? I may have a fix for that. Splitting the fuselage is really the last thing you want to do, but there are some clever tricks to fix most problems.

I have noticed on mine that the way parts of the fuselage join together is a bit dodgy, lots of careful test fitting required I think.

Plus remember, stretched sprue is your best friend!

Boss man

i had it under good authority a season build of these academy fulcrums was to Bring the front and rear top sections together.....I just did that...the center tab mates but not the sides if one tab mate the other one is nowhere close.....this was when everything was square but maybe my mistake was putting the intake doors on first...so what I did was take out the intake doors and just glued let super set over night and sand the hell out of it on the top....then put back the doors....or windows or luvers ....then that had gaps and did not sit flush......the. Put the under side on....as is mostly where I am now....

i think i can can settle it........just will take time and sanding and rescribing .......anyways yes stretched sprue....I am think epoxy putty....let see

thanks for the advise......

rgds

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I just saw this thread. Joining tops and bottoms, then back to front is not something I'd advise in general, and not on this kit, which happens to be a dark beast of mine.

You can see my last build on here.

A combination of multi-part fuselage, thin plastic and aging molds seems to be the bane of this kit.

I suggest you bridge that gap with plasticard before puttying (otherwise it's going to crack and crack and crack again) and check the fuselage for misalignment, as warping of the plastic may be the culprit here.