The Lady is a Vamp

Right - here we go - finally got her finished - my entry for the De Havilland GB - Airfix 1/72 Vampire T.11

So here she is in all her 'Day Glo' glory - I hope you enjoy and as always your comments and feedback are always welcome.

DSC00415

DSC00417

DSC00418

DSC00421

DSC00422

DSC00423

DSC00425

DSC00427

DSC00428

DSC00432

DSC00434

DSC00438

• Like 24

I'm not into aircraft but I remember seeing a few of these flying about when I was a kid and they were always a fantastic sight (I don't recall seeing one with day-glo markings though)

You've done a grand job.

Thanks for posting.

Feeling old,

Rearguards

Baddee

31 minutes ago, bearmatt said:

Looking neat the lady!

What dayglo did you use?

Cheers

b.

Thanks b.  As well as Tamiya and Vallejo, I often use Revell Aqua Acrylics for airbrushing as the pigments are really thick and smooth and when diluted are perfect for airbrushing with no clogging - unlike my many experiences with Humbrol!!.  The 'day glo' is actually Revell Aqua Luminous Orange which I think seems to fit the bill well.

Kris

4 minutes ago, Badder said:

I'm not into aircraft but I remember seeing a few of these flying about when I was a kid and they were always a fantastic sight (I don't recall seeing one with day-glo markings though)

You've done a grand job.

Thanks for posting.

Feeling old,

Rearguards

Baddee

Thanks for your comments Badder.  I'm not an expert on Vampires by any means but I think the 'day glo' was used on training aircraft so chances are they might not have been the ones you were seeing in the skies.  No need to be feeling old - I'm feeling jealous that you were able to see them in action! :(

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks b.  As well as Tamiya and Vallejo, I often use Revell Aqua Acrylics for airbrushing as the pigments are really thick and smooth and when diluted are perfect for airbrushing with no clogging - unlike my many experiences with Humbrol!!.  The 'day glo' is actually Revell Aqua Luminous Orange which I think seems to fit the bill well.

Kris

Thanks Kris. I think so too, this one seems to be a very good match.

Did you apply the dayglo right over the silver, or did you primer first with white?

(I'm working on a U-2 which will have dayglo markings too...)

b.

10 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Right - here we go - finally got her finished - my entry for the De Havilland GB - Airfix 1/72 Vampire T.11

Nice job on the finish (including the pilots)!

Regards,

David

1 hour ago, bearmatt said:

Thanks Kris. I think so too, this one seems to be a very good match.

Did you apply the dayglo right over the silver, or did you primer first with white?

(I'm working on a U-2 which will have dayglo markings too...)

b.

Hey b, good luck with your U-2, look forward to seeing it when completed.  As you suggested, the silver areas were primed white first to make sure the orange popped which wouldn't have happened on top of the silver.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Nice job on the finish (including the pilots)!

Regards,

David

Thanks, Dazey - I felt that as this was a trainer aircraft it would be apt to show it complete with pilots side by side - glad you like them.

Kris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, planecrazee said:

Thanks for your comments Badder.  I'm not an expert on Vampires by any means but I think the 'day glo' was used on training aircraft so chances are they might not have been the ones you were seeing in the skies.  No need to be feeling old - I'm feeling jealous that you were able to see them in action! :(

The ones I used to see were all silver, I think, and mostly at mid to high altitude. I'm not sure where they were based circa 1970, but we had RAF Lyneham and Fairford nearby, and Brize Norton further out. To me they seemed very futuristic and I used to think they were top-secret spy planes. Like I said, I don't know much about aircraft, and I knew even less back then. :D

BTW, I did forget to mention your figure painting... which is great. I have trouble with figures twice the size.

Reaguards,

Badder

7 minutes ago, Badder said:

The ones I used to see were all silver, I think, and mostly at mid to high altitude. I'm not sure where they were based circa 1970, but we had RAF Lyneham and Fairford nearby, and Brize Norton further out. To me they seemed very futuristic and I used to think they were top-secret spy planes. Like I said, I don't know much about aircraft, and I knew even less back then. :D

BTW, I did forget to mention your figure painting... which is great. I have trouble with figures twice the size.

Reaguards,

Badder

Sounds great Badder - wish I'd been around in the 70's to be a spectator with you :thumbsup:

Your comments about the figures are much appreciated - I do enjoy painting figures for some aircraft I do although I don't think it's doing much for my eyes though lol :nerd:

• Like 1

I really enjoyed looking at that. I liked the subtle variation in the natural metal finish, the consistent panel lining and that it was well constructed. Very good workmanship.

43 minutes ago, Air-to-Air said:

I really enjoyed looking at that. I liked the subtle variation in the natural metal finish, the consistent panel lining and that it was well constructed. Very good workmanship.

Thanks, Rob - very much appreciate your comments and I'm pleased you've enjoyed having a look.

Best wishes

Kris

9 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

This colour scheme is really glorious !!!

Beautiful and luminous model.

Congratulations.

Thanks for that Polo - I have to agree with you on the 'luminous' aspect.  In my ever expanding cabinet of models - she's the one that catches your eye straight away, but then again I suppose that was the point of using luminous paint in the first place.

Regards

Kris