Airfix Supermarine Spitfire MK1a

My kids showed an interest in making a plane after seeing my Heinkel 111... so this is their first attempt at one.

There were a few problems with the kit... the fuselage didn't fit into the assembled wings so trying to trim fuselage to fit didn't go well and there are slight gaps

And in building this it's also raised a few questions... which i will list at the end.

First issue was the matt black paint wasn't drying matt.

ftdlr7.jpg2

13ym2hh.jpg1

Next problem was the canopy didn't fit

i35ifp.jpg8

1zwm6xl.jpg3

We used masking tape but some residue was left behind and trying to remove only messed up some of the paint work.

ifpmj6.jpg4

Also the decals on the side of fuselage seem to be a little too big and when placed as pictured in instructions... just didnt line up and are almost wrapping over the top of fuselage.

28sc5sj.jpg7

wtg7cy.jpg

4ztbgm.jpg5

So as you can see it is a Spitfire and has all the right part it's just not the best job ever to be done, but with 4 kids all helping to build it... it wasn't likely to be perfect.

The main thing is they enjoyed it and want to do more... who knows they could go on to be like the rest of us and enjoy models all through our adulthood.

And now the problems...

Masking... masking tape seem to be fine but after painting and leaving to dry left residue........ what would be a better product to use?

Painting... Although we spray painted it there is a clear ridge between the two colours used....... what can be done to achieve a flat universal finish?

Decals... they look like decals just placed on top and rubbish at that...... what's a good method of applying decals as to make them look more authentic? 

Edited by Hobby Paul
  • Like 20

A; If you're going to do a lot of this; invest in some Tamiya tape, just about the best tape for modelling. An alternative tape is Frog tape, for decorating use. Buy at Screwfix, its by far cheaper from them. I got a big roll of 1 inch wide and slice it down into thinner strips as and when needed. Bought the roll about 3 years ago and I've hardly used very much off the roll even though I use it a lot

B; you'll always get that ridge; you can only limit it, by spraying only very thin coats along the tape edge, not allowing a build up of paint. If it gets too much you can reduce it by lightly sanding with 800 or 1000 grade wet & dry paper used wet. Do it carefully and you can reduce the size of the ridge; go too hard and you'll remove too much paint right back to the plastic

C; decals set better on a glossy surface. Gloss up the paintwork, apply decals, then use a setting agent. By far the most popular and common setting agents are Micro-Sol and Micro-set. These draw the decals down really tight and even into the panel lines. After doing this apply a matt varnish to seal the decals on

D; the markings on that Spitfire were really like that, very over sized

E; your team enjoyed building it - thats the number 1

• Like 7

They've done a great job,and Black night has covered all the bases,the fit issues withthe kit are well known to all that have built it a sand here

and scrape there is needed and it then looks good, hope to see more from them,we need new blood in the hobby!

• Like 3

Nice work. We definitely need all the kids possible in the hobby.

Invest in some Tamiya tape, it's not the cheapest, but it is the very best to use. I've tried all the other cheaper options, but I've just accepted that no matter the cost, it's Tamiya.

Tamiya tape also doesn't give you a ridge if you paint in thin coats. I also use blutak for masking camouflage and that doesn't give an edge between paints unless your coat is really thick. Spraying with matt paints on a matt surface will also reduce any ridge between colours.

A gloss coat will help with your decals. Then put a matt coat over them to seal them all in and dull down the paint again.

• Like 2

For their first effort, they've done a grand job between them.

As stated above, Black Knight has covered all the bases.

However, the main thing, which you have already pointed out, is that everyone enjoyed it and that's the Holy Grail of modelling. If they want to go on and more modelling.............Bingo, you've got them hooked and that's got to be good for the hobby.

• Like 2

As per usual here on BM the collective have been positive about this first build by youngsters [? I'm assuming they are, but maybe not]

No-one has ripped into it I'm happy to see, but I expected that positivity on here

I hope that with that positive reception each of them will attempt another, and another, and another.....model

~Go out and buy some HobbyBoss Quickbuild kits for them now. Easy and quick to put together; fit on them is excellent, minimal parts, minimal clean up, decals good both in quality and options - they are thinner than most and settle down really tight

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hobby Paul said:

My kids showed an interest in making a plane after seeing my Heinkel 111... so this is their first attempt at one.

There were a few problems with the kit... the fuselage didn't fit into the assembled wings so trying to trim fuselage to fit didn't go well and there are slight gaps

And in building this it's also raised a few questions... which i will list at the end.

First issue was the matt black paint wasn't drying matt.

Also the decals on the side of fuselage seem to be a little too big and when placed as pictured in instructions... just didnt line up and are almost wrapping over the top of fuselage.

So as you can see it is a Spitfire and has all the right part it's just not the best job ever to be done, but with 4 kids all helping to build it... it wasn't likely to be perfect.

The main thing is they enjoyed it and want to do more... who knows they could go on to be like the rest of us and enjoy models all through our adulthood.

And now the problems...

Masking... masking tape seem to be fine but after painting and leaving to dry left residue........ what would be a better product to use?

Painting... Although we spray painted it there is a clear ridge between the two colours used....... what can be done to achieve a flat universal finish?

Decals... they look like decals just placed on top and rubbish at that...... what's a good method of applying decals as to make them look more authentic? 

Lots of  useful advice.   Regarding the markings,  if you google image "Spitfire 610 squadron "  you  get a load  of  shots like this

be55b8bf2806eb6c81db86f4430277c1.jpg

If you want an explanation on the whys  of this see

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

Regarding the kit,  new tool airfix can be very  unforgiving in the fit department, and really  need careful clean up of sprue  nibs.

The canopy is a tight fit and some test fitting and careful scraping can solve this, and this maybe  the reason for the fuselage/wing fit.

I've seen other modellers on here moan about CAD tightness and stuffing things up by not test fitting and checking  first.

You don't  say what  kind of paint used, but matt paint drying  glossy usually means it's not been stirred properly.

Spraying it is neat, but for children brushing maybe better,   and you might want to try Vallejo acrylics, they brush well. They  don't  have exact match for RAF colours it seems.

As has been stated, gloss finish works better for decals,  they also look over soaked, and so have lost some adhesive.

Bedding  down into wet Klear/varnish works, and  eliminates silvering.

I have done a few bits with my daughter,  and have picked up some Hobbyboss easy build, they  are very simple and will allow you  to get to the  paint stage fast,  though I'm waiting for a slow day to  do some.

I did some Zvezda snap kits of Disney  cars and planes I got cheap, these are excellent, and use coloured plastic and stickers.

I was very impressed at the quality of  fit.   Zvezda do some  more  advanced snap kits, and these maybe worth looking into.  I got a Fw 190A-4 recently and it's very well moulded.

I'm maybe too  controlling, I know from  my own youth  I was 8 before I  could do a kit completely, and then I was off, but  I try to teach her how  to paint, I got  some model railway figures,  you can get ones that  are about 1/30th, which are a good  size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-Unpainted-Model-Train-Stand-Up-People-Figures-1-30-Scale-/201523896196

they need to be put on bases (i used small bits of plastic card) and are not very exciting, but can be good for girls (you just said 'kids')  as they may  enjoy being able to 'clothe' them to their own  tastes.

(I'm not saying girls won't  want to a Spitfire,  mines got older half sisters so it can be rather too girly round here...)  

I used these with the vallejo acrylic dropper bottle, which you can shake easily and put a drop  of two on a pallete or tile.

I know this is slightly off topic, but it can be a good way to help learning to paint.

A good set is  "Folkestone Basics" 

Creative Models often do sets of the paint in the weekly specials and they also stock the Hobbyboss easy build

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/hobbyboss-m-20.html?filter_id=28&sort=2a

the WW2 fighters are £6.25,  and  they do freepost  over £30

here's a review of  one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKMMvs_zwe8

If you ever did Airfix 1/32 toy soldiers figures which for years were made of polythene which didn't paint well, the current ones are made of some kind of styrene and take  paint  fine now. 

If they are getting interested, if you have an Aldi they sometimes have Airfix starter kits, as do The Works.

Not entirely what you asked, but perhaps  of  use?

HTH

• Like 1

Really good start there - there is a lot of good stuff going on - a nice foundation to build from. I don't have any good advice to add over what the others have already said. Take those points on board and the next model will be even better than this one, which with a bit of luck will be enough to get the kids hooked on a nice, creative and constructive hobby.

I think you have all done a pretty superb job trimming and getting things to fit right. Often one of the most challenging aspects of this hobby.

Nice job all round!

• Like 1

If any kids today want to build models instead of poking at their phones, I'd give them all the encouragement in the world. Great job here! 

And it looks better than a lot of kits that I threw glue at when I was starting out 😄

• Like 1

Nice job on this one, My first kits did'nt attain that level.

Seeing kids making kits is the better sight for me, Bravo !

My daughter and son has started models, they do fine but get back to the video game.

Only because they did'nt felt in touch with their friends.

I keep my faith, they will be back.

Do you know that there's some dinosaurs to do, kids oftenly like it.

Congratulations.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

I think the kids have made a great start!

I love it. Woohoo!!

Awesome..... wish my first build was a desert camo Spitfire! :D

I see kids trying something different, using new skills, families talking, participating, getting off screens, finding out about new things........having FUN!

Can't get better than that ;)

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 2

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys... they will be getting shown later.

Thanks for the answers Black Knight... and thanks Troy Smith for the useful link.

The kids are 9, 7, 5 and 4... 3 boys and the youngest a girl... my oldest boy 13 nearly also wants to build one, he built a quick build when he was around 8.

I'm not a big multi tasker so trying to have 4 kids build one thing maybe wasn't the best way of doing things but they were happy and have asked to do another but their own one... so the plan is to take them to the local Model shop that i discovered and visited today (of course i bought myself another one) and they can pick their own.

Due to the medical situation with the youngest girl, 4 going on 5, i'm not in employment... so having a fair bit of time on my hands i haven't chose to sit and do nothing. Instead the small bit of woodwork with pallets i used to do turned into building a 8"X8" workshed for woodworking with nice hardwoods and i also mess about with arc welding... then there's fixing the minibus of course.

because of this the kids have always asked if they can do this or do that and i have only ever said one thing... YES... unless it's to do with the table saw or router table of course.

So my kids although they still like having their heads in their ipads they are fairly hands on when it comes to making stuff...

The youngest girl from the age of 3 would sit at the drill press and just make holes in wood.

My boys 9 and 7 play with the scroll saw.

My boy 5 could play all day with a few scraps of wood, hammer, nails and hot glue.

And in the years i've let them do things for themselves there has thankfully only been one accident..... STOP READING NOW IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH.

The accident involved my eldest son when he was around 11/12.

After watching a video by Peter Sellers in which he made a small wooden spinning propeller... we decided to have a go.

It involves chiseling a piece of wood to a rough shape then using a spokeshave to finish the shaping.

Naturally we had the relevant safety talk about using the tools we were going to use and the dangers that are present... sometime later we had made many items with various woods...

I needed to step into the house for a minute and left him to it... but within that minute he made two stupid mistakes he knew he shouldn't of done and came running into the house covered in blood.

For unknown reasons he decided to grab a larger chisel than what was needed and put the item he was working on in the vice straight up rather than pointing away from him... and so when he leaned over the piece and went to trim it with the chisel.....

HERE COMES THE SQUEAMISH BIT...

The chisel slipped off the work piece and came straight up at his face... hitting him straight in the nose. It was a severe cut and required an operation but he is fine.

He knows what he did wrong he just doesn't know why he done it... but accidents happen we just have to learn from them... wether we're kids or adults.

I myself had an accident with a jointer because i was too lazy to grab a push stick... yes you're thinking right... my fingers went into the blades.... but i never learnt as i've done it with a router too.

Anyway i'm going on a bit now so i'm going to make a cup of tea and take a look at my new weird plane i've never seen or heard of before... more to come in another post.

Edited by Hobby Paul
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Intruder503 said:

I wish I could get my kiddos into the hobby :dull: (this is the face I get when mention it haha!!)

Ha Ha! Mine are like that too (three girls, who insist the hobby is just not for them).

But you are to be commended, Hobby Paul, for getting a new generation away from their various devices and into plastic models.

I think it's great to see them getting started and having fun.

Very good and reminiscent of my first Spitfire. Complete with traditional paint fingerprint on one of the decals. Mine was the Frog kit probably around 1970. 

I have two boys 10 and 8 and of course they love the Playstation and the tablets but they are open to other things. The youngest makes exquisite little figurines from Fimo complete with tiny detailed faces. He would be a superb modeller but it isn't his thing. But do you want SQUEAMISH? He needed to cut something so while I was otherwise engaged he took out one of my new exceptionallying sharp ceramic kitchen knives and promptly sliced into the web between his thumb and forefinger. Blood everywhere, panicked dash to A&E. An hour and a half later we were back with him bandaged and stitched  almost feeling pleased with himself with all the fuss. But the house looked like a murder scene. 

Anyway lesson learned. Since then he uses my Xacto knife to add texture to his figures quite safely.

I too am not employed now (I can't be 'unemployed' because I'm not entitled to any benefits or allowances!!!) but my role as 'homemaker' means no spare time except in the bathroom and then only if you lock the door 😣

But I must sit down with them and try a model or two with lads. I've enough in my stash.

Edited by noelh