1/72nd Special Hobby Boston Mk.V, 13 Sqn, RAF, Italy 1944

Hello Folks,

Hopefully I`m back in play with a new Flickr account rather than Photobucket which has locked all my photos out! This is my second recently built Special Hobby Boston as I built an RAAF A-20J last month. It is a nice kit but the joint between the nose and fuselage is quite sporting and required quite a bit of sanding, as does the nose for earlier A-20C/ Boston Mk.III variant too!

This one wears the markings of BZ631/P` Jacqueline Anne' of 13 Sqn, 232 Wing based in Italy during 1944 and it was flown by the OC A Flight,  ....the father of Tim Staples who is the owner of Diverse Images which builds exquisite pewter models. The A Flight insignia on the tail was derived from a flag/ pennant taken from a destroyed German vehicle by the OC Flight and  first appeared on the units Baltimore`s which were replaced by Boston`s. Here is the website with photos of the real aircraft; http://www.pewteraircraft.com/STRUCKOFF/NEW SOC/BOSTON/Boston V.htm

Here is the model;

DSCF0622DSCF0605DSCF0612DSCF0621DSCF0610DSCF0603

DSCF0619

For the upper surfaces I used Humbrol enamel 155 Olive Drab with Polly Scale acrylic Neutral Grey undersides and US Dark Green from Polly Scale was also used to represent the Medium Green camouflage with Xtracrylic faded Olive Drab for the control surfaces and Humbrol Trainer Yellow prop hubs and dinghy, which was made from rolled up Tamiya masking tape. Brush painted as usual. The decals came from Xtradecal set X72-104 which I researched for Hannants. I have added a rank pennant from the right side of the nose, which came from the spares box as I suspect that the bottom photo seen below may well be this same aircraft,

Here are some photo`s of the real aircraft;

Image result for BZ631/P of 13 Sqn

Boston 1-1- BZ631-P-13 Sqn-1

Boston info-1

I suspect that the above aircraft could in fact be coded `P'?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 34

Hi Tony, good to see you back in action, Foley to PB. :D

That is a nice looking Boston. I've got the Revell reboxing to do something similar one of these days, I shall likely use these pics as inspiration. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Tony

As usual this is nice and interesting as a subject. I'm on the Italian campaign at the moment.

I have many of this kit family in my stash as there are some to operate in French colours, but not in Italy !

Cheers.

Patrick

• Like 1

Once more,Tony you did a great work!

Beautiful model; I didn't know this version with the "duck nose". It looks rather funny.

Glad to see you have moved to Flickr.

Cheers, have a good evening. Polo.

:wow::goodjob:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardtarget said:

Lovely Tony, do you have a build thread for this?

Thanks, glad you like it.

Sorry I didn`t do a build thread and even if I did Photobucket have blocked all of my previous photos so all of my posts here on BM now have no photos! 

Cheers

Tony

Another very nice model of an aircraft I must get round to build. I have an Xtradecal sheet with Boston IV on it so no excuse really. I  have had similar problems of being locked out by Photobucket and it was slow anyway. Flicker seems easier to use.

• Like 1

Great to see you're back up and running. I reckon you are solely responsible for PB imploding with the amount of builds you photograph each year 😂

Cracking build mate, the faded control surfaces look spot on and another great scheme :)

• Like 1