Spitfire PRXI USAAF venturi fit?

Troffa

At the 6 Minute 17 Seconds mark in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie3SrjLlcUY

there is a shot of a small Sperry type venturi tube installed to starboard side of a USAAF PRXI, just aft of the wing trailing edge, below the star and bar.  Not something I've seen before on the Spitfire, of any mark. 

I've searched BM and the net in general, and had a quick flip through my go-to spitfire references to no avail.

Anyone have any further detail on this installation?

Do watch the video all the way through, its a superb bit of documentary film making.

Cheers,

Troffa

Good spot Troffa,nothing wrong with your eyesight.

tn_87ef5f15-0bb2-47de-8d4c-a53d60b2a231.

Image taken from the above U bend video.

Paging Troy!

Also note the headrest behind the pilots head,which I thought wasn't on anything from Mk IX onwards.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Grrr Photobucket Grrr

Thanks for the image Alex, beyond my skills-

I've been looking at PRXI's for a while now and all of them that I have seen photo's of have the headrest installed, but this unidentified PRXI is the only one I've noted with a venturi visible. Just interested in the reason for this presumably rare fit. 

Hi Troffa,

I had bought this film a few years back from a well known music site starting with "i", and had been in email contact with one of the gents involved in the production. I thought I had kept the emails, but seem to have misplaced them.

I think his name was John Blyth, he was the son (or grandson?) of the pilot of PA664, he had an account on either Flickr or Photobucket with plenty of still photos of various Spit's at Mount Farm, and the 7th Photo Group, that I hadn't seen anywhere else. You might get clearer, still photo's there??

Hope that helps!

• Like 1