"Berwick" Winston Churchil's Boeing. 314 Clipper

Good evening everyone please find below, after a 40 year build ! Berwick Winston Churchill's Boeing 314 Clipper.

Here is a photo of the man himself at the controls, with the signature cigar:

IMG_3451

Below are the pictures of the completed build. The kit was lost in my parents loft until being recovered when we sold the house after I lost my father.

I failed to finish in the KUTA IX Group Build so here it is. All comments greatly received and many thanks to all the BM members for the continuing encouragement, it would never have been finished without you  :clap2:

IMG_3416

IMG_3414

IMG_3415

IMG_3417

Cheers Pat

• Like 25

What? WHAT?? He flew a Boeing?! That's disgraceful, had he not heard of Short (or, whisper it, Supermarine)?!! Lovely build though, thanks for sharing. I'm assuming 1/72...but what's the kit? A (very old) Airfix??

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great to see this oldie again Pat,cracking job,Hmm I wonder if I can track one down for the sea plane GB?

Hi Steve

Thanks very much, I have another one in the stash if you are interested :wicked:

7 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

What? WHAT?? He flew a Boeing?! That's disgraceful, had he not heard of Short (or, whisper it, Supermarine)?!! Lovely build though, thanks for sharing. I'm assuming 1/72...but what's the kit? A (very old) Airfix??

Hi Newbie

The kit is a 1/144 scale from Airfix , box photo below.

IMG_3139

I think Combat models made a 1/72 Vacform kit which must be blooming enormous. :yikes:

6 hours ago, Reconcilor said:

I read somewhere that Winston was an awful pilot. The aircrew and assorted staff used to hate it when he took control - airsickness all round. 😰

Hi Reconcilor

I bet no one had the guts to tell him to his face so he probably carried on thinking he was a great pilot

• Like 2

6 hours ago, invidia said:

Nice built. Thats a kit you dont see much of any more. Looks good in the camo. 

Thanks very much. This is a rare colour picture of the aircraft. 

IMG_3148

Completely different from the colours Airfix tell you to paint it !

I wonder what happen to it after Winston had finished with it ?

cheers Pat

• Like 5

What are the actual colours?

I always assumed it was Dark Green/Dark Earth.  Of course, being an American built aeroplane, it could have been in Boeing's interpretation of Dark Green/Dark Earth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks very much. This is a rare colour picture of the aircraft. 

IMG_3148

Completely different from the colours Airfix tell you to paint it !

I wonder what happen to it after Winston had finished with it ?

cheers Pat

When the three airframes were transfered to BOAC, Flight magazine described them as painted 'slate blue and olive drab'- which sounds like US equivalents of the Temperate Sea Scheme, if not even an attempt at a proper match to me. 

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1941/1941 - 1412.html

Will

(and off we go- twenty pages of arguments about what this Boeing-Seattle-factory-mid-1941- ANA-equivalent "slate blue" actually is.... :rage:)

• Like 3

Evening all

Thanks very much for the link to the article Will, great bit of extra history on this aircraft.

"Batten down the hatches" the colours I decided it was are;

H123 Extra Dark Sea Grey, and H224 Dark Slate Grey

For my two pennies worth, I would say the colours in the photo would have been subjected to plenty of salt spray and bleaching so would look different than expected on the above photo. :tomato:

cheers Pat 

It looks great Pat :thumbsup: !

What a lovely aircraft. Nicely built. 40 years you say :hmmm:

One mustn't rush these things :pipe: 

I like the paint finish, it looks like the original transfers worked well too.

The box art is too nice to throw away: surely that would look nice in a little frame?

A great tribute to Mr. Churchill. 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

On 27/06/2017 at 0:13 AM, Newbie(kinda) said:

What? WHAT?? He flew a Boeing?! That's disgraceful, had he not heard of Short (or, whisper it, Supermarine)?!!

Trying to find out something about PA Clippers just now and apparently the 314 was the only one with the range...

Hello,Pat - Its great to be in 'Radar Contact' with you again.Well,My Friend, you've certainly nailed this 'Clipper'.

I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of these models completed and certainly not a subject that I've tackled.You've successfully overcome the astrodome issue and made a splendid job of finishing this truly classic Airfix kit.

Well done,That Man!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Evening Pat

Great work - looks good and a pleasant change from civilian colours.  I shall have to look out for one, although 1/144 is not really my favourite scale - and the Anigrand 1/72 model clippers would take up far too much room!!

Take Care - photos of the 'Baby N59' in process

Andrew

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,Pat - Its great to be in 'Radar Contact' with you again.Well,My Friend, you've certainly nailed this 'Clipper'.

I don't think I've ever seen more than a handful of these models completed and certainly not a subject that I've tackled.You've successfully overcome the astrodome issue and made a splendid job of finishing this truly classic Airfix kit.

Well done,That Man!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Hi Paul

Thank you very much for your kind comment but genuinely if it had t been for all the encouragement of other modellers on here like yourself, it would have ended up on the shelf of doom. 

3 hours ago, SeaPlane said:

Evening Pat

Great work - looks good and a pleasant change from civilian colours.  I shall have to look out for one, although 1/144 is not really my favourite scale - and the Anigrand 1/72 model clippers would take up far too much room!!

Take Care - photos of the 'Baby N59' in process

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Its surprisingly big even in 1/144 scale. My preference is 1/72, however I would say it's about 2/3 the size of say a 1/72 Lancaster. I'll batten down the hatches for the slide rule boys who will tell me it's a different fraction :tomato:

cheers Pat