Mirage 5F, EC3/13 "Ardennes", Colmar, 1973

Wez

3 minutes ago, Antoine said:

I've always thought for one reason or another that this was mostly made for export.

Me too...

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Awesome war load, wonder what the range was like toting all that around?

Well, do not forget that RPK are tanks after all, and that the 5F was made for this, the lack of electronic giving some space for another internal tank behind the pilot if you wish to compare with the IIIE.

1 hour ago, Antoine said:

Well, do not forget that RPK are tanks after all, and that the 5F was made for this, the lack of electronic giving some space for another internal tank behind the pilot if you wish to compare with the IIIE.

I appreciate that the RPK's were tanks and the 5 had extra internal fuel but when you factor in the extra mass and the extra drag the fuel consumption goes up, so I'm wondering whether a fully bombed up 5 would have a similar range to a more lightly loaded IIIE?

Irritating, those accidents. I spend a good chunk of time each project sanding the glue smudges and fingerprints and other mistakes I left from when I was actually too tired to work on plastic. The lesson there being there's a time for modelling and there's a time for getting yer feet up and establish a TV stare . 

So yes, good save. I can't wait seeing the load-out. Always thought of the fuel tank-weapon hybrids as particularly smart, I wonder why other manufacturers didn't adopt similar solutions.

Jay

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How are you going here Wez, I think you need to cut back on moderating and increase the build output! :D

But seriously, you are doing a great job with the forum and keeping us in line, looking forward to some more progress.

21 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

How are you going here Wez, I think you need to cut back on moderating and increase the build output! :D

But seriously, you are doing a great job with the forum and keeping us in line, looking forward to some more progress.

Well taking your advice here's some progress...

...having forgotten to put a spreader in the fuselage to widen it at the bottom or put some shims on the wing roots, I have some filling to do...

Fuselage with filler

The exhaust is a four part affair and has some pretty well moulded detail which I hope I've brought out

Exhaust

The fin needed shimming along its lower edge, I'm hoping to avoid filler when I glue it to the fuselage

Shimmed fin

Finally the cockpit and instrument panel so far, I'm still pondering whether to use the decal for the IP

Cockpit and IP

Far from the moderating taking up my time, it's the professional development work I've been doing, that's the trouble with studying for 9 months of the year, all of the things you've put off because you're studying finally catch up with you in the three months you're not studying!

I've made a start on the F1 too but nothing tangible to show yet.

More progress tomorrow hopefully :D

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice work so far!

Those echausts arefrom the kit?

Thanks, yes those are the kit exhausts.

• Thanks 1