Wingnut Wings Camel decals.........

Devo

G'day All,

Has anyone here who has completed a WNW Camel had any problems with the decal's, more specifically the upper and lower wing cockades(Roundel)?

I've just decaled my 2F1 Ships Camel and had cracking wherever the decal was required to conform over detail or an edge, namely the wing inspection panels and the trailing edge of the wing into the aileron mounting point. The right fuselage cockade also cracked a tad settling over the lacing detail on that side too.:swear:

They seem quite thick to me. All I did was soak the decal in tepid water, slide off into position and then press out the air/water under the decal with a tissue, no setting solutions used. :hmmm:

Anyhoo, it's made me a tad :angry:.

I'll finish the kit, only have to rig four more wires and finish off the engine and then put it towards the back of the display case.:shrug:

Cheers,

Devo

1 hour ago, Howlindawg said:

Why not ping WNW and see what they say?

They can probably supply replacement decals.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8531.0

To late for me Martin, the decals are on. I've touched them up as best as I can.....interesting link, thanks for that. Probably means that the decals in my BR1 Camel are stuffed as well. Have to wait until I build it I suppose.

Regards,

Devo

Hi Devo,

You'll recall I did the Br.1.

I was lucky, I noted the thickness of the decals from the outset and didn't push them down to conform. Instead I laid them into position and then gently brushed decal softener over them (I used Daco products Strong) and allowed them to settle themselves with another brushing if neccessary after the first had done all it was going to do. Allowing the decals to soften up and then maybe needing just a very gently push  into the shapes of the model  with a brush I didn't get a single split. I have never been one for pushing the decals down to conform or squeeze out water as I wouldn't trust myself not to split them.

If you are worried I believe that Pheon decals will be releasing Sopwith Camel sheets some time later this year, including decals for all the Naval 10 flight leaders. Makes me think about picking up another three or four of the Br.1 kits :hmmm::D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devo said:

To late for me Martin, the decals are on. I've touched them up as best as I can.....interesting link, thanks for that. Probably means that the decals in my BR1 Camel are stuffed as well. Have to wait until I build it I suppose.

Regards,

Devo

If you haven't cleared over the  decals you can probably pull them off again with some masking tape.

You'd just have to clean up your touch-up paint.

I'd definitely ping WNW about it before starting the BR1, just in case there's a known problem with the decals that they can help with.