AH-64 Ground Power

bar side

Hi I have a question about the AH-64 Apache.  I have the Revell 1/48 KLu AH-64 and am toying with the idea of fitting motors to power the main & tail rotors. To do so I will run a power lead off from the body, so I wondered if & where the AH-64 has a GPU socket?  Might as well have the lead running from a realistic place.

I haven't been able to find any on-line pictures to confirm but it looks like there's an APU port on the underside of each engine pod and an external electrical power receptacle on the starboard side of the aircraft aft of the battery compartment near the point where the tailboom joins the fuselage.

Hope this helps.

I think it's further aft than that, the panel with the three vents is the battery compartment and the panel behind it is the access hatch for the crew's luggage compartment.  I think the electrical power receptacle is a panel between the chaff/flare dispenser and the ECM/ESM pods in a "four o'clock" line with the roundel.

3 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I think it's further aft than that, the panel with the three vents is the battery compartment and the panel behind it is the access hatch for the crew's luggage compartment.  I think the electrical power receptacle is a panel between the chaff/flare dispenser and the ECM/ESM pods in a "four o'clock" line with the roundel.

Cheers - that seems a reasonable place to drill a hole in the fuselage and run a couple of thin wires out.

If you look below the 'A' of the Army marking you can see the hinge of the door for the ground power socket. It's between the baggage compartment door and the flare dispenser fairing. The door with the three vents is the right hand aft avionics bay NOT the battery compartment, that is further forward behind the bi-fold door in the EIFAB !!!

Happy days

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Whilst i understand what you are up to it is unlikely that rotors would be engaged with ground power attached.The ground power starts the apu which then uses hp air to start the engines.

Well thats one method 

Thanks for the info - I had assumed that would be the case.  I just wanted to make sure that any connected wires would go to roughly the right place.  It won't have rotors running all of the time, and I will probably try to hide the wire when photographing it with rotors running.  Always useful to hear how things operate though as I don't know much.  A guy at the end of the road works at Wattisham on Apache maintenance so I should really ask him.

9 hours ago, bar side said:

Thanks for the info - I had assumed that would be the case.  I just wanted to make sure that any connected wires would go to roughly the right place.  It won't have rotors running all of the time, and I will probably try to hide the wire when photographing it with rotors running.  Always useful to hear how things operate though as I don't know much.  A guy at the end of the road works at Wattisham on Apache maintenance so I should really ask him.

Yep understood wasnt being funny.

Spookily enough I worked apache at wattisham to...first job as a strawberry😮

• Like 1