1/48 Roden JOV-1A Mohawk

Having been invited to get involved in an upcoming project, I am going to be building this 1/48 Mohawk, produced by Roden. It's going to be the JOV-1A attack variant. I've never built anything from Roden, so this will be a new experience for me. 
The kit looks nicely moulded, and the surface detail seems a little soft, but I'm sure once I'm at the painting stage, that isn't going to be an issue. A nice touch is a small poster of the box, which I will get a frame for.
The aftermarket I've got for it is an Eduard mask set, Quickboost resin exhaust set, and a lovely True Details reason cockpit set (which looks like a build all on its own!).
I will also be using largely Hataka paints.
For reference I've picked up a couple of the Squadron Products books on the Mohawk.

35479176405_28c2d9d1a3_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35439421806_2db96de335_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35479176935_4eeb66d194_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phildagreek said:

It's a good model, I seem to recall I put in some aftermarket seats as the kit ones are quite plain and all that glass means you can see a lot of cockpit.

The cockpit set comes with a pair seats, so all is good. :D

There is something about the Mohawk. I believe the US Coast Grad and other law enforcement agencies used some quite colourful examples.

Martian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

There is something about the Mohawk. I believe the US Coast Grad and other law enforcement agencies used some quite colourful examples.

Martian

Yes Martin, there is something strangely attractive about the Mohawk. I've a D variant too, which will be done in Argentinian markings.

• Like 1

True Details cockpit all done. Nicely detailed, and a huge improvement over the kit example. Just need to fit it in the fuselage now.
Painted using UMP black primer, detailing picked out with Hataka paints, and drybrushed with Hataka grey and aluminium.

35573196495_ebf351f114_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35573196815_8c02f53f26_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35573197865_a091f1c0b9_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34731985664_c8195a30e8_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35573197685_49e5e493ab_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 7

Cockpit installed, just the gaps to fill. Only had to sand a bit off each side of the floor, and it fitted great.
Undercarriage legs assembled, and I've added some hoses, using some 0.4mm lead wire.
In the nosecone, there's 15 x 0.35gm split shot weights, giving 5.25gms of weight, plus there's 2 x 1gm weights under the cockpit floor too. Fingers crossed its enough.

35573197475_b25f5957f9_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35445690702_b879a37dc6_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35227067090_4f94e49097_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34804805593_a73e225f54_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on FlickrUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

Edited by Wee Beastie
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Priming is now done. I've used UMP's black primer.
Wheel bays have been done in white, and the air-brake recess's done in red.
Pre-shading has been started with a mixture of Hataka's Tan, Traffic White, and Light Grey. Just some finer application of the grey, to finish to pre-shade off.
Cockpit canopy is masked, glued into position, with one of the doors left off, as this will attached at the end, in an open position.

35661132086_595ffbc318_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35531473122_9f28e27bc4_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35661133766_a6c13d3d6c_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35531473582_4ba83d83fe_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35531475702_1ff2a5e383_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35531476242_6ba48d7e5d_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35661136446_ceeb2388cd_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 8

Now my holiday is out of the way, I best crack on!
I finished off the marbling, using light grey, then got some paint down. 
I used Hataka A018 US Olive Drab (Late), thinned to about 60% paint, 40% thinner, and a bit of flow improver too. Built up the colour with several light coats. This gave a very nice finish, and I think, just the right amount of pre-shading showing through.
The next job is to mask of areas of the nose, wings, and tail, ready for some black.

35826692962_7437e6bf86_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35997417225_bc932e92db_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

35608778040_56525ec280_c.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 5

Hi.

Sorry, this one passed me by, or I'd have commented earlier.

I built one of these and really enjoyed it, with the exception of the following (hence not putting up an RFI, as I haven't finished it yet)

• I could not get the canopy to fit. You've done it, so clearly that's my ineptitude rather than the kit (though it might be because you've not used the OOB cockpit? In mine, the roof instrument panel fouled the upper canopy)
  • I stuffed the nose and the front of the engine nacelles with fishing weights, but still got such a tail-sitter that I wished I'd not bothered and gone for cotton from the ceiling (which I still might, in a homage to my long-past youth)
  • The in-box decals were terrible - fell into a zillion tiny pieces. I did think about getting some aftermarket US decals, but my current plan is to do a "What If" pseudo-civilian scheme

Not sure whether those comments are a help or a hindrance!

One day, I'll get the beast offthe shelf of doom and finish it - it's too nice a machine to leave gathering dust.

Yours looks the biz! :thumbsup2:

Edited by NigelC
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NigelC said:

Hi.

Sorry, this one passed me by, or I'd have commented earlier.

I built one of these and really enjoyed it, with the exception of the following (hence not putting up an RFI, as I haven't finished it yet)

• I could not get the canopy to fit. You've done it, so clearly that's my ineptitude rather than the kit (though it might be because you've not used the OOB cockpit? In mine, the roof instrument panel fouled the upper canopy)
  • I stuffed the nose and the front of the engine nacelles with fishing weights, but still got such a tail-sitter that I wished I'd not bothered and gone for cotton from the ceiling (which I still might, in a homage to my long-past youth)
  • The in-box decals were terrible - fell into a zillion tiny pieces. I did think about getting some aftermarket US decals, but my current plan is to do a "What If" pseudo-civilian scheme

Not sure whether those comments are a help or a hindrance!

One day, I'll get the beast offthe shelf of doom and finish it - it's too nice a machine to leave gathering dust.

Yours looks the biz! :thumbsup2:

I did have to sand off some of the front and rear of the top canopy piece, just enough to get it to fit. Used Tamiya tape to hold pieces in place. Still had a gap on the front edge of the starboard door, but used some filler there. The port door will be open. Also had to use some filler on the front canopy, at the bottom leading edge, where it meets the nose section. So, yes the canopy is fiddly, but it's come out ok.

i filled the nose section with fishing weights, and I'm hoping it's enough. The resin cockpit set feels more weighty than the kit one too. As a last resort, it may come down to a short length of clear acrylic rod under the tail!! :D

Thanks you for the heads up on the decals. Nearly at that stage, but there seems to be a lack of aftermarket decals out there. Took me weeks to track down some Argentinian decals for a D variant I've got.

Hope you get yours finished, and see some photos of it. :)

Edited by Wee Beastie