Douglas Skyknight EF-10B - Sword 1/72

Finished my first Sword kit!!! Another Skyknight for the forum - this one a USMC electronic warfare bird using an option from the very nice decal sheet.

35011716443_fe9d36b12f_b.jpgskyk7 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

As was pointed out on the other Skyknight in RFI, the Sword kit comes with cable ducts running down both fuselage sides that need to be removed for anything but a handful of missile test aircraft. THis was a reasonably easy job, with a few panels needing to be rescribed as a result.

35781236216_b4ef4e9efc_b.jpgskyk8 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

The fit of the intake ducts left a bit to be desired. I mounted the the compressor faces further back than the kit allows for based on a few pics showing this area. I also tried to blend in the intake area with Milliput.

35433099490_853f5f3406_b.jpgskyk2 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

Another small mod was to shorten the nose landing gear in order to replicate the sit of the aircraft I was modelling. Some Skyknights do have a more nose high stance on the ground so you may want to consult some pics of the aircraft you are replicating. Fit of the canopy was fiddly with all three pieces needing careful sanding along all their mating surfaces to make them slightly smaller.

35781235986_c92125c81c_b.jpgskyk6 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

Paint was Xtracrylix LGG over white with Gunze Tyre Black for the anti dazzle panel and radome.

35433099120_1ca9793c37_b.jpgskyk1 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

Hope you like!!

35011716093_ebd9b2e8cb_b.jpgskyk5 by pat cauthery, on Flickr

35781235766_f2eb7fe374_b.jpgskyk3 by pat cauthery, on Flickr
Pat

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 26

Such a wonderful Skyknight !!!

Il looks really FANTASTIC, doesn't it ?

And you say it's 1/72; I can't believe it!

Well tidy work .

Congratulations. Polo.

Edited by polo1112
  • Like 1

Love it!

I don't know much about Skynights, nor have I built a Sword kit (though I own one or two), but I like the look of your model.

Excellent work. B)

• Like 1

Top job there Pat. I just love the US Navy /Marines planes of that era I built the matchbox one years ago in the grey and white scheme but it doesn't compare to this in terms of the kit and the build. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

That's a very nice looking Skyknight.  I really like the highlighted panel lines.  Nice and subtle.  It's never occurred to me before seeing this the similarity between this aircraft and the Skyraider.  Very clearly from the same stable.