DONE - Italeri 1/72 X-35B Prototype

So since I got the Boeing X-32 finished, I thought I might try and build the other Joint Strike Fighter competitor, Lockheed's X-35.

This is Italeri's take on the VTOL variant, the X-35B. I think there was more than a fair amount of 'what-iffery' in the Italeri design studio when they came up with this one...

34882872813_2dcc74c187_b.jpg

35561698521_6d81a43a6e_b.jpg

35572450971_d0ebd3859c_b.jpg

Not much to it, will see if I can make the GB closing date!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
photos fixed
  • Like 1

This is great Dermot, many thanks for sharing another build.

I haven't built it, but I've seen it built up and it makes a nice model. IMHO they did a good job.

It will be good to see the two prototypes next to was just other.

Good luck on an enjoyable build  :).

Best regards

TonyT

Cheers Tony!

So got started with the cockpit and engine exhaust....as you do..

34882872723_d1622de4df_b.jpg

I was never sure about the red headrest but it's there on ref photos I've seen. Still need to add some belts from tape..

35561699381_d00dd74bd4_b.jpg

Didn't know if weight was needed in the nose but added some anyway.

35561699691_96fa4d2b2d_b.jpg

And with not much else to add, I had myself an airframe! A couple of places need some attention but mostly happy with the fit.

34882872603_42755fd957_b.jpg

TonyT was right - i was a bit harsh on Italeri's design team and they did a good job on the lines on this one, all things considered. 

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
photos fixed

So with trying to sort out photo hosting issues, I've been a bit behind in progress on this one. But getting there at last.

The instructions call for an overall scheme of Light Ghost Grey but any of the reference pics I looked at showed this in a two-tone scheme of Grey and Gunship Grey(?) So went with that, two coats of each with the trusty hairy sticks... 

35523335222_d98b92ef8a_b.jpg

Got the gear and canopy added, with the canopy also getting a hinge frame from paint (that took two attempts as it was t too shallow the first time).
 That was Friday and as she looks tonight, with a coat of Klear, the wheels done and the few kit decals added. I threw in some spare stencils as she looked a little plain. While there are Stars & Bars on the decal sheet, I couldn't find any on the 1/1 early demonstrator so left them off. I've also highlighted some of the panel lines with a pencil.

35691991865_dca7935373_b.jpg

Next up, the 18 doors for the gear/engine and lift fan!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
photos fixed
  • Like 1

So with all the doors added and a flat coat, she's done!

The grey tail code decals were nearly invisible against the grey paint so I bodged it a bit and added them to the lighter grey fuselage. Not 100% accurate I know.

35551761682_77c7f059f9_b.jpg

35680950326_a540974782_b.jpg

And with my other build in this GB (and its competitor), the Boeing X-32.
 35333482660_c944cbdc74_b.jpg

Will post some more pics in the Gallery. Of the two kits, I'd have to admit to preferring the X-32 - it had nice options to have the weapons bay and canopy open whereas the X35 feels a bit plain. Also, I probably enjoyed the '32 more because it looks so different to anything else I've ever built

Have really enjoyed this GB and seeing all the different builds. Thanks for all your comments and for TonyT for leading.

Until the next time, enjoy your modelling.
All the best,
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
photos fixed
  • Like 1

Excellent building to get a model done in under 2 weeks to sucha good standard. 

Always  great to see the 2 together. 

Colin 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

Excellent building to get a model done in under 2 weeks to sucha good standard. 

Always  great to see the 2 together. 

Colin 

Cheers Colin - a week off from work and a very patient partner are also a help!!