Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen FAW2

Thanks again! 

21 hours ago, Ian said:

Really Like this. SV is top of my want list just now, cannot find one here in NZ !!

They are tough to get hold of in the UK nowadays! Airfix need to do a re-run of the mid-2000 kits such as this and the Valiant.

• Like 1

Great job, Dago. :clap2:

I've the same kit but I'm a little afraid about the large red decals on the top, had you any problems with them?

I can't see the pictures in your wip, is it caused by photobucket? :D

Ciao.

Davide

• Like 1

Thank you all again for the excellent comments!

4 hours ago, davmarx said:

Great job, Dago. :clap2:

I've the same kit but I'm a little afraid about the large red decals on the top, had you any problems with them?

I can't see the pictures in your wip, is it caused by photobucket? :D

Ciao.

Davide

Yes the WiP was hit by the photobucket problems. 

As for the red crosshatch decals, I was worried about them too. They turned out not to bad in the end. Just make sure that you have a good glossy base to lay them onto. The instructions show one of the rear decals to be bigger than it actually is so watch out for that. I would also try to get them lined up with the location on the model before sliding them off, they can be hard to move once on the model. I gave them a few good coats of micro sol/set and Tamiya thinners to get them to conform nicely. I think the key for the decals is preparation, take your time with them and not to get frustrated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Stunning build. I really wish Airfix would downscale this kit to 1/72. :clap:

Thank you! I think this and the Javelin would have both done well in the smaller scale. For my first year in the hobby I only modelled in 1/72, but kits like this swayed me to the bigger scale.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 15:35, DAG058 said:

Thank you all again for the excellent comments!

Yes the WiP was hit by the photobucket problems. 

As for the red crosshatch decals, I was worried about them too. They turned out not to bad in the end. Just make sure that you have a good glossy base to lay them onto. The instructions show one of the rear decals to be bigger than it actually is so watch out for that. I would also try to get them lined up with the location on the model before sliding them off, they can be hard to move once on the model. I gave them a few good coats of micro sol/set and Tamiya thinners to get them to conform nicely. I think the key for the decals is preparation, take your time with them and not to get frustrated.

Thanks a lot. :thanks:

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the fresh round of comments, it's really appreciated!

3 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Thats a lovely finish to a beautiful plane.  Can I ask which paint you used for the white?

It's just standard Tamiya White. I post shaded the panel lines by adding a touch of grey into that paint.

54 minutes ago, Dave N said:

Missed this first time round- an absolute belter. Top notch modelling and beautifully photographed.   Cheers, Dave

Cheers Dave! The photos were taken on a tablet, I really need to invest in a real camera and then learn how to use it, there just aren't enough hours in the day though!