Minicraft Douglas DC-4 1/144

Finally got this one finished. Quite an enjoyable build. I just love the airliners from this era - they are so full of character. . I could tweak it a bit more but I don't want to do any damage. Getting the undercarriage doors in position was a bit of a struggle. I also added on a few additional aerials and the DF loop fairing on the underside (which came from a Welsh Models Argonaut I never finished.

iuCRpSpR.jpg

yZSuWoXH.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Eric what a beautiful job you have done there, quite agree with you that was a wonderful era and all those lovely cheat lines,marvellous!                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Cheers Michael.

That's a gorgeous DC4 Eric, I prefer the DC4 over the DC6 and 7. Nice NMF and engine colouring. Good to see lots of aerials and dangly bits on a model.

It's not a criticism but is the nose gear too far forward?

Cheers,

Ian

The nose gear is where the instructions tell you to put it - so I assumed it was OK. It looked OK to me, to be fair. And it "sits" right with the correct slight tail down attitude you would normally see from a DC-4 on the ground.

What a lovely and evocative model.  I love these old airliners. 

I can almost hear the sound of them passing overhead now.....  

Oh! To be young again.

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Eric,

Check out this pic of an Aer Turas DC-4 and you'll see the nose gear is further back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/8471275842/in/album-72157632764949282/

Cheers,

Ian

I'll have a look and see if it need fixing. It could be the nose wheel doors that are out - they were a bit of a bugger to locate.

Eric, greetings from Dublin.

I took a look at my completed Minicraft DC-4 and the nose-gear leg should be at the very rear of the bay, with the supporting strut forward of the leg itself. The DC-4 to DC-7 series all had the same arrangement.  Possibly you have reversed the positioning of these two components?

I think that's the problem. I'll sort it out later this week. Thanks everybody for pointing it out.

The whole nosewheel area needs sorting as the doors refuse to stay put. One's fallen off already. I'll take the assembly apart and reposition everything.

Edited by Eric Mc

You wait ages for an Aer Turas DC-4, and then 2 of them come along (almost) together.

Nice job Eric, I've got to admire your choice of livery!

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...