21 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

And God said, let there be light! 

I'm pretty sure Bon Scot also said "Let there be Light"

this is all looking rather good so far I'm enjoying this build a lot

Leigh

Edited by The Chief Smeg
  • Like 1

You tried that black primer yet Matt? I spray with a .4 needle/nozzle at 20psi straight from the bottle. Just painted up my Gonk yesterday and even in the heat it was fine (the silver however was another thing entirely).

Edited by The Chief Smeg
  • Like 1

Sorry chief, not had much chance to try the primer. My spray setup is in my shed, but I don't have power to it. I have to run a loooong extension lead to it, and the weather has not been too kind here.

Thanks for the comments John, it does look very robo/ exoskeleton like doesn't it.

Matt

• Like 2

Evening chaps. 

Just thought I'd pop by, just to let you know this build is still ongoing, albeit at a slow pace.

2017-07-25_12-23-49

Found out my bottle of vallejo liquid mask.

2017-07-25_12-23-28

Applied a blob, using a cocktail stick, to the arc reactor. 

2017-07-25_12-22-57

His eyes got the same treatment. 

He's now ready for a splash of primer.

Quite looking forward to seeing how the ultimate black primer works. Hope to break out the airbrush soon.

On a side note, I can't decide what colour to use. I have a choice of, in no particular order, alclad polished aluminium, alclad titanium, tamiya titanium silver, tamiya standard silver and tamiya aluminium. 

Not sure which will work best. I think the alclad, on a shiny black base, might be too bright and glossy. The tamiya titanium silver, or aluminium might be a better bet. Too shiny a finish might make him look too "toy" like. Mind you, I'll probably use a final matt coat, so it might not be too bad. The film suit isn't too shiny, but I still want to try and capture the metallic look of it.

I can see a bit of experimentation might be in order.

I'm open to any suggestions you might have, dear readers, so feel free to let me know what you think. 

Matt

• Like 5

On 7/10/2017 at 4:03 PM, S5 modeller said:

2017-07-10_02-57-43

Is this Uncle Ump's Umpty primer? Will the Justice Department approve?

War Machine looks really good, I love the pose and the invisible wiring is lovely and neat. I never think to thread the wires before gluing parts!

Will

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon chaps. 

Cor it aint alf been a while.

Finally got to test the ultimate primer! 

More on that later, firstly I would like to share my hillbilly airbrush setup with you.

2017-08-05_06-29-06

Firstly, my rather weird compressor. It's a rather ancient, but achingly beautiful, piece if kit. Gifted to me by an old gent, sadly deceased now, it blows a maximum of 40 psi, and works on a vane system. Safe to say it's nearly silent when running. Only downside to it, is no tank. It gets a bit warm with constant use, so have to shut it down periodically during spray sessions. 

2017-08-05_06-29-32

This is connected to my braided airbrush hose by a system of push connectors, and poly pipe. 

2017-08-05_06-29-49

This simple valve is currently my only way of adjusting the air pressure. It's not awfully accurate, but it works. There is a large moisture trap fitted before this, but forgot to photograph it.

2017-08-05_07-47-09

On the other end of my braided hose, there is a simple pressure gauge, on a tee piece, that I use to guesstimate, my air pressure. 

2017-08-05_06-31-31

On the third leg of the tee, the only part I actually purchased for this cockamame setup, is a 99p secondary air trap.

2017-08-05_07-52-27

This then screws to the base of my airbrush. It's a cheap Chinese copy of something more expensive, but all I can afford. It's a dual action, gravity fed, £25 nasty. It's currently running a 0.2 needle.

Just to let you know, no actual hillbillies were hurt in the production of this mish mash of a setup.

Saying that, it has served me well, so far.

The wife would pitch a fit if I asked for a decent airbrush.

Really I'm only making my excuses early for when you see the results.... 

2017-08-05_06-33-102017-08-05_06-33-322017-08-05_06-34-30

Given all my ham-fisted attempts to stuff it up, I think it came out ok.

I can't sing the praises high enough of this ultimate primer. It went on lovely, given it reccomends a 0.4 or bigger needle. I just think it took longer to apply with my 0.2 needle, at roughly 20 ish psi.

I got some runs, where I went too mad, and towards the end of the session, the airbrush was spitting and splattering. It has levelled out beautifully, and non of the runs, or spatters are evident. 

I gave up after this, as I had a bad case of airbrush trigger finger, and I needed to clean the brush out.

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner to use? I've been running neat cellulose thinners, and alclad airbrush cleaner through it. It cleaned most of the primer out, eventually, but inside the needle cap it has turned into a rubbery gooey mess.

Please let me know.

As usual, all comments and criticisms, are greatly received. 

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
Fat finger typing.
  • Like 3

I am loving that compressor - how retro is that! It's beautiful (I love retro gear, even shave with a safety razor, none of this cartridge rubbish).

i said the primer went on well didn't I, I was also chuffed at its performance, for cleaning I use Vallejo airbrush cleaner but my next bottle will be UMP, it's roughly the same price and you get a little more.  I think you have done a cracking job with the primer.

• Thanks 1

Thanks chief. 

You were right about the primer. I hope the other colours perform as well, as I might get more!

Thanks also for the top tip on cleaning fluids, think ump cleaner must be my next purchase.

The compressor is ace,isn't it. So retro and art deco. Must have cost a fortune new it weighs a ton! I've seen them changing hands for over a hundred quid on ebay. 

I too shave, when I can be bothered, with a Gillette safety razor, using Wilkinson sword blades. Also use shaving soap, jack black brand, and a badger bristle brush. Fancy trying tabac soap, as I've heard it's good. One day I'm going to build up the courage to try a cut throat razor.

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again dear viewers. 

Didn't realize that it has been so long since I updated this build. 

Safe to say, its not been forgotten. 

As its a nice sunny bank holiday, better than usual, I got my spray gear out.

Put a coat of Tamiya titanium silver over the ultimate primer. I'd like to say it went well, but the metallic particles clogged up my airbrush. 

Anyhow, managed to give him a rough coat on him..... 

2017-08-28_03-49-372017-08-28_03-49-512017-08-28_03-50-172017-08-28_03-50-322017-08-28_03-51-132017-08-28_03-51-012017-08-28_03-49-15

Ooohh! Reflective. 

The surface feels slightly rough to me, but the wife says its smooth. 

Just need to mask off the silver areas now, and put the second color on. 

Hope you like it, sorry for all the photos, but I'm testing my new phone camera. 

Thats all for now, promise the next update won't take so long. 

Matt

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there. 

It's been ages since my last update, but I've been plodding along with this build in the background. 

So... I've started the task of masking off all the silver areas, in preparation for the second colour to be added. 

2017-09-17_01-41-21

This is all dragon supply you with, for both painting, and decalling. As you can see a lot of detail is obscured in these 2 rather limited views, so a bit of artistic license is going to be employed. I've tried scouring Google images for more reference material, but it's rather hard trying to get decent shots of the Armour, plus discerning the difference between the 2 types of Armour. 

Dragon would have you belive, by the box title, and instructions that this is war machine mk1 from Iron man 3. Now if you put "war machine" in Google, you do indeed get inundated with images of the war machine Armour, but it's the mk1 from Iron man 2. It turns out, this kitvis more like a mkii version, and does indeed appear in Iron man 3, but it bears more similarities with the "iron patriot" suit. 

2993970-tumblr_mcaynpfhsx1qhmu4uo1_1280

The iron patriot, as seen in iron man 3.

This version matches the kit, albeit with a different paint job, and the star embossed around the arc reactor. 

James_Rhodes_(Earth-199999)_from_Iron_Man_2_(film)_009

War machine, as he appears in Iron man 2, definitely not the same suit. 

Avengers-2-Age-of-Ultron-War-Machine-TV-Spot

War machine, as he appeared in avengers assemble, still not the same. 

Looks like the war machine, as depicted by dragon, doesn't appear in any of the Iron man films. 

This research is getting me nowhere!! It's driving me crazy.

Seems the only matching images Google throws up are either, fan art, cg renders, expensive toys, or pictures of this built kit. So you may please excuse my use of artistic license as no definitive evidence is conclusive. 

Anyhoo, on with the task in hand. 

2017-09-17_03-03-04

This is the kit I'm using for the job. We have the obvious, scissors, Swann Morton scalpel with a no. 26 blade, a baboon skewer for burnishing the tape down, 40mm wide tamiya yellow tape, 2mm wide shesto tape from hobbycraft bad a pair of tweezers. 

A big help in the masking process is that the colour splits along the panel lines of the kit. 

2017-09-16_05-16-29

Started on the right thigh. 

2017-09-16_05-16-45

I started by outlining the area with the narrow tape, then filling in the area with a patchwork of wider tape. This worked, but ages, and as there are multiple layers of tape, I'm concerned about paint bleed. 

2017-09-16_05-16-11

I continued around the right side, working round his arm pit, and waist section. I found it easier to apply a larger section of tape, burnish it into the panel lines, then cut it with scalpel. After peeling off the scrap tape it leaves a neater finish. 

2017-09-16_05-17-11

Worked around the rear, to the spine section. Still a bit of a patchwork, but better than the leg. 

2017-09-16_05-17-262017-09-16_05-17-57

For this awkward section round the knee I've tried something new I've used copydex latex craft glue. I'm hoping it peels off OK later. 

2017-09-17_03-55-59

I've continued around his back, and managed to use a large piece of tape to mask it. 

2017-09-17_03-56-16

Finished the left side, leading round to the front. 

2017-09-17_03-55-36

Finally finished the masking by doing the abdominal section. Again only using one piece of tape. 

That's as far as I've got, so far. More left to do. 

Hope you like it, please feel free to comment. 

Matt 

• Like 4

Absolutely fantastic work - Sci-Fi is not normally my thing - but it is great to watch the progress on this.  Love the hydrovane too - it looks like a rocket :D

• Like 1

Getting there with this one Matt, looking good, what paint you planning for the darker sections?

btw, don't you just love auto correct - 'bamboo skewer' became 'baboon skewer' which I'm pretty sure is something altogether different. I once sent Mrs Chief Smeg a message that was supposed to read 'Glad its all over' and auto corrected to 'Gladys Knight and The Pips'... yes she did ring to ask if I'd been drinking 🙃

• Like 1

Thanks guys. 

I've recently upgraded my phone, and I'm still trying to get it set up how I had my last one. Thought auto correct was shut down, but it still seems to be active, up to a point. Seems you might not be able to fully turn it off. 

I think I'll let the baboon skewer typo pass. 

Work is slogging along slowly, always seem to loose traction on a build when it comes to paint. Maybe I should just build these kits, and leave it at that. 

The next color to be added will be tamiya xf-56 metallic gray. Quite how you can get a metallic colour in a flat finish I don't know. Been recommended to me as the best match. The instructions say to use gunze h8, which equates to steel. 

The compressor does look terribly futuristic doesn't it. Only puts out 40 psi, but that's enough for airbrushing. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

The compressor does look terribly futuristic doesn't it. Only puts out 40 psi, but that's enough for airbrushing. 

It is an object of beauty, doubt my Sparmax will still be running when it is as old as your 'Flash Gordon Rocket'

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thanks for bumping this thread, I missed the baboon skewer which is totally awesome. Poor baboon!

Masking looks good, I hate masking on figures and this one is really complicated. The Titanium is nice too, it has quite a different look in the shade and in the sun - cool effect.

Will

• Like 1

Hi chief, and will. 

War machine is resting uncomfortably in his box at the moment. When I moved my modeling room last year he suffered an injury not too dissimilar to the film "captain America-Civil War". The wife unceremoniously stuffed him in his box, and broke his spine. He still needs repairing. I'm currently tied into a group build at the moment, but I might try to resurrect him after it's finished. 

Thanks for bringing this build back to my attention, and perhaps towards the end of July I will get back to it. 

Matt

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

How do chaps. 

I pulled this kit out of the Bex today, for a quick looksie. 

2018-07-05_12-48-11

Here you can see the stump of his spine, next to the red wire. 

2018-07-05_12-49-18

Here's where it snapped off at the base. 

I'm really looking for suggestions on how to repair this damage, as I don't think a pure butt glued join will hold it secure. I thought of drilling the stump to take a length of brass rod, but I'm worried about aligning the two halves. The base should take drilling quite well as the whole spine unit was glued between the two halves of his pelvis, so the piece won't push into the pelvis. 

Apart from that, I'm at a loss on what to do, any ideas? 

Matt

I think brass rod is the way, but you are going to have a hell of a time aligning it as you say... you could make the top hole larger and shim it for position if you don’t hit it right the first time...

• Like 1