1/72 Mirage F1CR & F1CT

Andrew

And lo, it came to pass in the Kingdom of Dropsies a man called Fumbles did finish the pair of Special Hobby Mirages of the French persuasion, to the great surprise of all who had watched from afar.

36941774713_dfdda1af45_o.jpg

37579882952_e91e8516c3_o.jpg

37353662250_e0a148b534_o.jpg

36941774293_064392ed3e_o.jpg

23759459158_dcfe4eb3ce_o.jpg

37579882062_db36396128_o.jpg

23759458948_7a0b6926d7_o.jpg

No Mirages were dropped in the making of this post.

And exhale...

Thanks to everyone who's stopped by for a look, a laugh and offered kind words and encouragement - much appreciated.

• Like 11

Thanks and thanks (I love parcels!), Tony.

Yes, sadly there aren't any photos of the latter stages, bar those above taken this evening immediately after had I added the wingtip missiles as the very final task. This project had become a grind by the end and I was forced to just get on with doing all that was necessary to get the pair done, at the expense of chroncling what was underway.

• Thanks 1

they look absolutely fantastic!

nicely presents the detail that differentiates those 2 :)

well done!

any chance for a bottom side view?

Edited by exdraken

17 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Very well done Andrew

I also have had a visit from Mr Fumbles, he really gets around

I thought he lived at my house but it turns out it's his cousin - Ham Fisted!

On 10/10/2017 at 10:49 PM, exdraken said:

... any chance for a bottom side view?

Yes indeed, apologies for not including any in the post above but that evening I was overtaken by the excitement of having actually completed something...

The F1CT:-

37652312691_16feeedbd5_o.jpg

37602713956_c96764a7e3_o.jpg

37652313111_c257f02541_o.jpg

The F1CR:-

36941034554_a0920a32b4_o.jpg

37652312421_b8c1b77e48_o.jpg

37652311961_6897fb4a29_o.jpg

Very many thanks to all for your interest and compliments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

great! thanks for the additional pics!

the Iraqi banana is really big for this small elegant plane!

wonder why no other airforce used it! Spain for example modified their F1s to more or less ground attack planes only as F1M, but used the centerline for ordnance ....

the recce pod on the CR is a Presto, no?

Very nice work !!!  :worthy: Colors are great !! :thumbsup:

However, I would have two, three remarks :

An IFF antenna is missing on the back of your both Mirage F1... and no IAG antenna on the CT... not yet! ;)

Why Phimat pods are differently painted from one to another ? :hmmm:

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

... the Iraqi banana is really big for this small elegant plane!

wonder why no other airforce used it! Spain for example modified their F1s to more or less ground attack planes only as F1M, but used the centerline for ordnance ....

the recce pod on the CR is a Presto, no?

I love the look of that big tank on the centreline - it was an absolute certainty from the outset of the build that my CT would have one and I associate this variant with the big tank ('Iraqi banana' - ha! love that nickname!). The CR's recce pod is indeed a Presto pod, and was a late addition to the build when I realised that the pods supplied in the kit didn't match what was carried by the jet I wanted to depict (as flown in 2011 over Libya), so I went looking for an aftermarket source. The L'Arsenal offering answered that need very well - it is a very nice bit of casting with exquisite detail and was very straightforward to install.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

... An IFF antenna is missing on the back of your both Mirage F1... and no IAG antenna on the CT... not yet! ;)

Why Phimat pods are differently painted from one to another ? :hmmm:

Eclipse, thanks very much for your pointers - I'll have a look at the Cocardes book for the good oil on where those antennae go (and what they are! - IAG? new to me...). I got very lazy towards the end of the build, so didn't pay the attention I should have to the many fine points of antenna fit; the laziness also explains why the Phimat pods are not the same (plus I was employing some artistic licence to help further distinguish the two jets) - I gave up on trying to mask the actual demarcation between the upper and lower colours on the pods and sprayed a straight line demarcation on one of the pods and simply ignored it on the other, giving it a fictitious overall colour. Slack, I know, but there you go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

IAG = "inertiel amélioré GPS" ! It's the white discus shaped antenna on the back. ;)

Ah, I understand now... you're saying that the CT as I've depicted it shouldn't have the IAG antenna, being too early for that antenna fit. I realised this too late and elected again to use the 'licence' card at the finish... Thanks very much for the explanation and for looking in on my builds.

no problem !! Indeed this antenna appears only few years later (even it is previously already present on some Mirage F1s...): your CT illustrates one of those involved in operation Allied Force in Kosovo in june 1999 and this antenna was systematically added with the new standard T2 applied in 2003-2004...

But again, very nice Mirage F1s!!!

• Like 1