Hasegawa 1/48 ki-43ii

Mike Esposito

I remember that there is a fuselage shape issue with the ki-43i early kit. IIRC, it was the curve between the canopy and the cowling. The i version is flat, the kit is curved.

My question is, are the later marks so affected? 

Looking at getting a Ki-43 ii Ko.

Thanks

Edited by Mike Esposito

All the Hasegawa 1/48 Hayabusa kits have the "broken back" from the 1/48 Matsuba Minoru plans. Basically the angles created where the ascending top fuselage line from cowling to windscreen changes to the descending top fuselage line from headrest to tail are too great causing a "broken backed" appearance which spoils the model for some. The Fine Molds kits are better shaped but a more challenging build.  

Btw "Ki-43 ii Ko" is not an official designation but rather an anachronistic one of modern convenience. The Ko, Otsu, etc., suffix designations, sometimes rendered as a, b, c, etc., in English sources, were usually used by IJAAF to denote armament variations in fighters, which does not apply to the Ki-43-II as it carried an identical armament of 2 x Ho-103 12.7mm machine-cannon throughout its service. The detail differences in the II series were production changes to the airframe and engine and in Japanese references these sub-types are often divided by their features into early, mid and late production types with the II Kai as a final type, all using the word ki (期) which means period but is sometimes given as 'production' in English. Thus:-

初期 - (hatsu ki) = first period (Ki-43-II with annular oil cooler and long Ki-43-I wingspan)
中期 - (naka ki) = middle period (Ki-43-II with enlarged under cowling cooler and shortened wingspan)
後期 - (nachi ki) = later period (Ki-43-II with rearwards thrust exhaust stacks and landing light in port wing leading edge)
末期 - (matsu ki) = end or final period (this is the Ki-43-II Kai with individual exhaust stacks)

Only the main features of each sub-type are remarked above but not all the additional detail changes and there was some crossover between models. There are four distinctively identifiable versions of Ki-43-II prior to II Kai with one researcher referencing designations of Ki-43-IIa early, Ki-43-IIa  late, Ki-43-IIb early and Ki-43-IIb late. This divides the mid-production into IIa late and IIb early. The official IJAAF table of aircraft designations makes no such distinctions, just referring to Ki-43-II and listing the differences simply as production changes but unfortunately does not date them precisely or provide the serial numbers for first change.

Nick

• Like 7

Awwww. Nick. I was hoping you were gonna tell me that only the early mark I was affected.:facepalm::wink:

Went here: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/01/hayabusa-lines.html?m=1

I wonder if one can just sand/fill the top portion of the fuselage behind the cowling...

Edited by Mike Esposito

Any comments on the Otaki and Nichimo kits? I know that they're lacking in the cockpit and gear bays, but how about shape-wise? They both look pretty good in their respective boxes, I think in some ways the Otaki kits were ahead of their time.

Otaki Box Art:

OtakiKi-43.jpg

Nichimo:

NichimoKi-43-I.jpg

Not that the box art helps with the question at hand, but I think they look pretty nice for their age.

43 minutes ago, Don McIntyre said:

Any comments on the Otaki and Nichimo kits? I know that they're lacking in the cockpit and gear bays, but how about shape-wise? They both look pretty good in their respective boxes, I think in some ways the Otaki kits were ahead of their time.

Otaki Box Art:

Nichimo:

Not that the box art helps with the question at hand, but I think they look pretty nice for their age.

For the II the Otaki (now Arii Microace) kit appears short in both span and length for scale but I've never done the maths. It makes it a little "dumpy" looking - by no means Egg Plane but perhaps taking the first wee step on that journey. It looks the part though and its main visual problem is the stalky undercarriage legs which spoil the sit. Nice relaxing build if care is taken with the fit of the cowling flaps and cowling. It was in stock at HLJ for less than £7 which was a steal and made it an excellent test subject for mottle painting experiments as well as aftermarket decals and details. 

For the I the Nichimo is IMHO a better shape than the Hasegawa and captures the elegant lines of the original. It was a superb kit for its time too.

Nick

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

I wonder if one can just sand/fill the top portion of the fuselage behind the cowling...

IMHO, no. I think you'd have to do radical surgery to correct the problem, which is pretty glaring if you're looking for it.

1 hour ago, Mike Esposito said:

Yes indeed. Looks like the Fine molds kit. The engine is so lousy though.:facepalm:

Aftermarket resin? :-

Vector Japanese Radial Engines

But not cheap!  CMK also do a generic Sakae engine:-

CMK Nakajima Sakae

Can't speak for either in terms of quality/detail.

Nick

Hi Mike,

neither do I, so I use the Google Translate. It's not perfect but it gives the gist of the article. And the photos and drawings and dreaded red lines speak for themselves.

Of interest for this topic there is a hint of a hump in the cockpit area as shown on photos. Can't wait to see how it all ends.

Vedran

It's not about any kits. The author is writing about the problems encountered drawing up his own Ki-43 plans from available reference photos and published dimensions. The Matsuba plans and Hasegawa kit are not referenced. 

The "dreaded red lines" relate to photos and dimensions of the real aeroplane rather than the Hasegawa kit "hump" issue. 

Nick

7 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

Yes, he has not yet picked-up a kit or kits, but he will. That's the wait.

In the meantime, check out his superb Hayate analysis.

Vedran

Hi Vedran

he's done a Ki-43 already

here's the build notes

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/ki43/hayabusa.htm

The modifications are mentioned,  I'm a bit tired  so not in the mood to try to  work out the details.

cheers

T

PS - here's a link to the Hayate analysis Vedran mentions

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/ki84/ki84.html

Edited by Troy Smith
add details and links