F-35B 809 Sqn HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH

All fingers legs arms and toes crossed here that this coming week brings this particular model subject much closer to reality; subject to wind and tide, we should see a Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier back at sea for the first time in many years, ready for the first F-35B to land on later next year.

wp952a8a94_05_06.jpg

These markings for 809 Sqn in HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH and HMS PRINCE OF WALES are largely from my own imagination and courtesy of my inkjet printer, but perhaps not that far from the truth.  

wp2a1c341e_05_06.jpg

This is Fujimi's delightful 1/72 F-35B kit, with a little hacking about from me (e.g. the rather obvious auxiliary air inlet is missing on the kit) and my own decals.  

wpe29bfcda_05_06.jpg

I haven't fitted any weapons in the open bays yet - but some scratch built Meteors and SPEAR 3s are on the workbench!

wpbd9e6fd9_05_06.jpg

For those who doubt that colour can ever be applied to these aircraft, check out the USN variants at sea now!

wp7fefa3bf_05_06.jpg

wp33a50170_05_06.jpg

wp3113d4e6_05_06.jpg

wpd84e6831_05_06.jpg

And as a comparison, here she is alongside Italeri/Revell's old X-35B kit

wpe8d8ec4b_05_06.jpg

Edit - here is a link to my second build scheme and an update of this one post FoC Flying Trials: 2018 Updates

FLY (ROYAL) NAVY !

FredT

Edited by gengriz
Pictures reposted to overcome Photbucket issues
  • Like 58

Hopefully not a What if?

• Like 1

Outstanding build - love the scheme. 

Des- edited as per comment in your subsequent post. I should NOT have made a comment on a public forum ref the current build of the ship....I'll let the media run that story in a few weeks time.

Cracking job on both kit's,shame the RN won't scrap this low viz nonsense and return to the old DSG over white scheme allbeit with smaller roundel's,

it's not like with dogfighting becoming extinct and BVR weapons not letting your potential enemies within miles of you it's going to give the game away!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, FIGHTS ON said:

Lets hope that when they go to start the engines on "mother" this week they don't find that the local work force haven't stuffed rgs & hard hats into various pipes & stuff sabotaging all the good efforts by others to get her to sea on time......... :(

What a strange comment to make.

• Like 3

Lovely model and well done with all of the various shades of grey! I`d love to see those markings on the jet but somehow doubt they will have Royal Navy titles,..... I hope I`m wrong. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Well, despite a few heart stopping moments, today has gone really well and once the tide drops tonight, HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH will pass under the 3 (yes 3, there were only 2 when we started) Forth Bridges and proceed to sea to test .  

The largest and most complex machine ever built in Europe, designed in Bristol, built in Scotland (genuinely from girders!), definitely the pinnacle of my professional career (how do you top this?) and I can't wait for the first of our F-35s to land on. 

4 acres of UK sovereign territory.  Anytime.  Any place.  x2 !  

FLY (ROYAL) NAVY

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
  • Like 6

Seem to be having a few issues with Photobucket, so pictures re-posted from a different source

• Like 1

Love the model but think that if UK procurement lives up to it's normal standards you may have to build a hangar queen too with lots of bits robbed off it!

19 hours ago, RMCS said:

Cracking scheme...how did you print those decals

The decals were simply made up on a set of powerpoint slides using images from various places on the internet (I added them to a few aircraft profiles to decide what layout I liked best), and after a few test prints to get the size right, I printed them onto white inkjet transfer paper which was then sealed with Humbrol Satin Cote. 

I gave each of them a small grey border to allow me some flex in cutting them out - matching this to the paint was the most difficult part!

I had wanted to do the tail half white, half green with the QE rose in the middle, but this defeated me in the end.  I also contemplated a large QE badge covering the majority of the upper fuselage, some subdued colour versions and some grey shaded versions, but finally decided on this set. 

I have a second kit that will appear in a different scheme (which I think I like better) around the time of PWLS' naming ceremony later this year so I printed both sets at the same time.

The inkjet decal paper is marvellous stuff and well worth a try!  I got this set from Amazon - 10 A4 sheets for £7.99. 

FredT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gengriz said:

The decals were simply made up on a set of powerpoint slides using images from various places on the internet (I added them to a few aircraft profiles to decide what layout I liked best), and after a few test prints to get the size right, I printed them onto white inkjet transfer paper which was then sealed with Humbrol Satin Cote. 

I gave each of them a small grey border to allow me some flex in cutting them out - matching this to the paint was the most difficult part!

I had wanted to do the tail half white, half green with the QE rose in the middle, but this defeated me in the end.  I also contemplated a large QE badge covering the majority of the upper fuselage, some subdued colour versions and some grey shaded versions, but finally decided on this set. 

I have a second kit that will appear in a different scheme (which I think I like better) around the time of PWLS' naming ceremony later this year so I printed both sets at the same time.

The inkjet decal paper is marvellous stuff and well worth a try!  I got this set from Amazon - 10 A4 sheets for £7.99. 

FredT

Fred

That's awsome, thank you. 

Something I need to try

On 24/06/2017 at 6:16 PM, FIGHTS ON said:

Outstanding build - love the scheme. 

Des- edited as per comment in your subsequent post. I should NOT have made a comment on a public forum ref the current build of the ship....I'll let the media run that story in a few weeks time.

Do tell........

• 9 months later...

A beautifully made model, excellent! Nice to see the Royal Navy with jet fighters again too.

From a real-life hardware point of view, I'm not sure about the wisdom of having a single engine out over the sea, and the six o'clock view for the pilot looks terrible! Reminds me of the Yak 'Forger'.

Great kit though, jolly well made and painted!

A stunning build that I missed first time round.  A beautiful paint finish and terrific markings.  I only hope the RN are allowed to do something similar when 809 stands up although I've heard the MOD won't allow any unit markings to be applied.  I'm sure they know what's best for morale and esprit de corps.

• Haha 1