Handley Page Hampden 1/48

This is something I shall plod away at. My father gave it to me years ago but like many of these kits it has just sat there. Everyone knows they need a lot of work but that's what modelling is all about - or rather I think the reason I didn't enjoy the Eduard Hellcat kit very much was because it was boring and unrewarding just slotting bits of plastic together - much like Tamiya kits. They're fine to just throw something together, but I personally get little out of them otherwise. I do however like the sense of achievement from building a tougher kit of an unusual subject.

The Fonderie Miniatures Handley Page Hampden

20170624_142139_zpsn8rlyidb.jpg

The parts are fairly rough:

20170624_142222_zpsi2awhrmr.jpg

20170624_122436_zpsaeto7bb8.jpg

...and the instructions rather "home made" looking:

20170624_145519_zpslazwlc0b.jpg

Still, it's a Hampden and I like working with tools and materials.

20170624_145557_zpsvv2tszv8.jpg

The parts don't look that bad. If considering this as "an injection moulded kit" and by that most people really mean "something very easy to slap together" then it's a horror. Unlike that massive waste-of-money Sanger Short Sunderland though, the parts are more or less Hampden shaped so this should actually be buildable with the right mindset. The mindset I am adopting is to treat it as a chunky vacuum formed kit. Absolutely everything needs clean up and mating surfaces wet sanded - so it's more like a vacform than a mass-produced injection kit. I happen to like vacuum formed kits.

20170624_145748_zpsaocyyqbu.jpg

20170624_145758_zpsy8f3l3jk.jpg

20170624_150010_zps7rbugapl.jpg

20170624_150030_zpsdsbzcllj.jpg

With an hour or two with sanding sticks and a sheet of 240grit wet and dry paper laid on a work surface and kept wet, we get something that kinda fits together. It's not warped and the wings are the same shape as each other, so I think we're in business. I haven't bothered with the window cutouts yet because I want to check they're all in the right place and symmetrical etc. I expect to have to pack and shim with styrene so there's no point in filing them out until I know what dimensions to open them out to. The wings need a little more sanding at the root ends to reduce the thickness by another 0.5mm or so to match the fuselage's aerofoils.

20170624_151744_zpsxh6s4kki.jpg20170624_151737_zpshpdzyoaq.jpg

20170624_151756_zps3nenzbbe.jpg

20170624_151802_zpsbsy0vvcf.jpg

• Like 15

It might be easier to whittle it out of balsa.

I've heard that this isn't the easiest of kits, but I wasn't aware of the full horror.

Good luck.

• Like 1

One of my first ever kits was the old Airfix Hampden -not an aircraft I was particularly familiar with until I had the shape in my hands, so seeing this in 1/48th will be a delight...

-looking forward to seeing this come together -I like it when someone feels they're rising to a challenge :smile:

(and yes, tackling it like a vac-form+ sounds like a good idea!)

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Ooh this looks interesting, didn't even know a 1/48 injection kit existed. I have toyed with the idea of getting a vac in this scale so would be interested in davedp's experience with the Sanger one.

look forward to seeing how the Fonderie kit goes together, like you Jamie I enjoy getting a good result out of something less than easy 

Your Father gave you this kit? What did you o that was so bad as to deserve that as a punishment? :whip: Nevertheless, I shall follow this thread with great interest as I have soft spot for the Hampden/Hereford.

Martian (Feeling your pain in advance)

• Like 2

Looks good so far. Must be quite strange having a bag of perfectly formed resin next to all that clunky moulding. For me, the big question with the internal details in kits like these is whether to clean up the part you are given or just scratch build something the same shape!

Looking forward to your progress, 

Regards,

Adrian

I managed to bring this kit to a basic level of preparation, then losing heart.... Beware that the wing thickness is not the same, port to starboard, and the fuselage halves length also are not matching. Some parts are so crude, one wonders how the masters were. 

I recommend a Dremel to do the bulk of the job. Good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There is something most satisfying about wrestling a dodgy kit into good shape - and it's even better when someone else is doing the wrestling!

Sadist! :whip:

Martian

45 minutes ago, Bonehammer said:

Some parts are so crude, one wonders how the masters wer

My guess it that the masters were made of cheese, chewed to shape by blind, semi-skilled, rodents. 

• Like 4

Hello Jamie,

My friend Pierre is building her, for some month, be prepared to cut, look

WP_20170423_15_07_36_ProWP_20170423_14_50_49_Pro

I used to know the man who did the masters, Gorbygould is almost right, since today that man is actually blind !

The masters have been greatly inspired from the Sanger...

I asked my friend to come up in BM with us but...

Making this one IS rewarding, when you finished it.

I have 2 fonderie kits on the Go, I know what I mean

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 5

23 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

It means that you made the right choice in joining the world's largest on line nut house, in fact you may be considered by some a tad over qualified!

Anyhow if you have 2 Fonderie kits on the go, where's the worry about the Roc?

Martian

PS: In all fairness, I should admit to having built a Fonderie kit (Piasecki H-21) and have their Alize swiftly rising up the to do pile. At the moment it is slated to take the Tracker's place on the bench.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

It means that you made the right choice in joining the world's largest on line nut house, in fact you may be considered by some a tad over qualified!

Anyhow if you have 2 Fonderie kits on the go, where's the worry about the Roc?

Martian

PS: In all fairness, I should admit to having built a Fonderie kit (Piasecki H-21) and have their Alize swiftly rising up the to do pile. At the moment it is slated to take the Tracker's place on the bench.

My only worries are about to make a good looking Roc.

Unless, I like this one, "Fear god and dreadnought, not even a fonderie Kit !!" but sometimes I must admit some... :angry:

I go to my RFI now.

See you soon.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

On 2017-06-26 at 0:48 AM, corsaircorp said:

Hello Jamie,

My friend Pierre is building her, for some month, be prepared to cut, look

WP_20170423_15_07_36_ProWP_20170423_14_50_49_Pro

I used to know the man who did the masters, Gorbygould is almost right, since today that man is actually blind !

The masters have been greatly inspired from the Sanger...

I asked my friend to come up in BM with us but...

Making this one IS rewarding, when you finished it.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi
As a proud owner of this kit as well, I'm following this build with interest.

Just wondering, why are thees cuts necessary? Don't the kit align to drawings or is it needed to get the parts to match up to each other?

• Like 1

Hi :)

Is your friend building to a particular set of scale drawings? If so, could you please ask him which ones? I can then source a copy myself.

From initial inspection it seems that the rear of the cockpit glazing aligns with the leading edge of the wing root on the kit, which corsaircorp's friend has already addressed.

• Like 1

Looking good so far. The FM kit in my opinion is not that bad compared to the Sanger / Contrail vac form.

I built the Contrail Hampden a few years ago and it has to be the worst kit ever produced.

For those of you contemplating building this nightmare here are the problems you might face.

1. cockpit wind screen not deep enough at sides. 2 engine cowlings not moulded straight with wings . 3 wing attachment points on fuslarge are moulded

one higher than the other , 4 Laughable set of white metal parts . 5 clear parts will yellow very quickly. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

If built with no corrections you will end up with swept back wings with the engines pointing outwards , and when viewed from the front one wing will be higher than the other .

You have been warned.

• Like 2

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:36, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi :)

Is your friend building to a particular set of scale drawings? If so, could you please ask him which ones? I can then source a copy myself.

From initial inspection it seems that the rear of the cockpit glazing aligns with the leading edge of the wing root on the kit, which corsaircorp's friend has already addressed.

Hello Jamie

Sorry, did'nt see your question, since I've not been quoted..

THAT is our actual problem, all the curts were done accordingly to a Warpaint plan from Mr ian Huntley

BUT, and it is a big BUT:huh: meanwhile, Pierre has found another plan from Mr Richard Caruana Aaaaaand guess what ??

They are the same for the upper part of the fuselage, but there is a 8mm glitch on the lower fuselage and in the tail supporting boom.

8 to 10mm on a 1/48 kit, that's a lot !

Our question is, which one can be trusted the most ??

I have asked and waited for an answer.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:30, keith in the uk said:

Looking good so far. The FM kit in my opinion is not that bad compared to the Sanger / Contrail vac form.

I built the Contrail Hampden a few years ago and it has to be the worst kit ever produced.

For those of you contemplating building this nightmare here are the problems you might face.

1. cockpit wind screen not deep enough at sides. 2 engine cowlings not moulded straight with wings . 3 wing attachment points on fuslarge are moulded

one higher than the other , 4 Laughable set of white metal parts . 5 clear parts will yellow very quickly. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

If built with no corrections you will end up with swept back wings with the engines pointing outwards , and when viewed from the front one wing will be higher than the other .

You have been warned.

Hello Keith

:rofl: I used to know the guy who actually make the Fonderie Hampden master...

It was based on the Sanger one:rofl:

So one can guess the result, Pierre said that the difference of thickness of the wing is more than visible.

And the interior, is flawed too.

Let's say that it is a base for an almost scratchbuilt Hampden.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1