Kotobukiya 1/100 Ray from Metal Gear Solid 4.

[linked image]
Yes i know what you are thinking " what the hell is that", well the simple explanation is it is a model of a character from the gaming world. The game is called Metal Gear Solid 4 and apparently it is very popular, Kotobukiya do the kits and i have to say they are superbly thought out and engineered, you would not believe just how many parts there are. 

The model is called Ray and it is a follow up to the Rex i built for the same customer last year, that was even more complicated but an enjoyable job all the same. 
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47751/message/1477143478 

I am not a gamer so my knowledge is limited, it is basically a manned underwater Mecha, the face opens up to reveal the gun, i am not showing it like that as the future is still drying, no touchee. happy.gif
The finish is meant to replicate an aqua marine blue with hints of green blended in, i used a base silver and then a light metallic blue covered with filters of clear green and clear blue. I am quite happy with the rendition, i have another coat of future to add tomorrow but essentially that is it. 
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Just sent the completed images to the customer so hopefully a happy chap.

Regards.

Thanks for looking.

Danny.
  • Like 8

You have to fight an unreasonable number of these at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2 - about a dozen. It's quite hard, I came to hate the water jet that shoots out of its mouth.

The model looks cool, nice finish on the blue and gold. Will it still be poseable once the clear coat dries?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

On 2017-6-25 at 7:51 AM, modelman182 said:

That looks cool, Danny. A kind of underwater 'demonic' insect?

Nice work on capturing the iridescence, I think you nailed that one! :D

Kev

On 2017-6-25 at 10:41 AM, Tango 1 said:

I don't understand it, but it has been very well painted indeed! 

12 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Dame!  Now thats looks nice. I have seen quite a few of these as im a fan of the game and the kit and this is definitely one of the nicer ones.

11 hours ago, Will Vale said:

You have to fight an unreasonable number of these at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2 - about a dozen. It's quite hard, I came to hate the water jet that shoots out of its mouth.

The model looks cool, nice finish on the blue and gold. Will it still be poseable once the clear coat dries?

Cheers,

Will

Thanks chaps.

It is fully poseble though you would need to be careful.

Danny.

Edited by danimalmagic

its always great to check-in to the forum on a Monday after the weekend completed builds start arriving on the website and this is a nice start for my eyes - what a great paintjob and an amazing polished effect

great stuff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

its always great to check-in to the forum on a Monday after the weekend completed builds start arriving on the website and this is a nice start for my eyes - what a great paintjob and an amazing polished effect

great stuff

Many thanks, a very different project for me but enjoyable all the same.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

On 27/06/2017 at 8:00 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

A fabulous looking thing.

With a great paint finish.

On 27/06/2017 at 10:33 PM, Hunter Rose said:

Thats a cracking paint job, love the blue!

16 hours ago, GazB said:

METAL GEARRRRR! :P

Sweet job with the colours :D

Gaz

Thanks chaps, battle damaged Rex still to do at some point.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

• Like 2