Hello

Lish

Hello All,

Been lurking and reading quite a bit in the forum but I think its time to intro myself. I am from Godalming, Surrey in the UK. Just started aircraft modelling a couple months ago. I must admit its been a tough start, destroyed 2 kits that went in the bin. the third one was much better after much reading, youtube etc etc.

What this hobby has taught me is patience, something that I have lacked in the past but what I have learnt very quickly.

Just got a 1/48 GWH T33-A Shooting Star which I am about to start and will be looking to some advice from the experts here.

Thanks

Learning patience quickly.. like that ;)    Now that is a talent I wish I had! 

First, don't bin 'failures', keep them for use as  paint testers, or refining techniques.

I would suggest that if you are  new too all  this, as opposed to a  lot of 'new' members who are middle aged returning to the hobby (wot me?) who had plenty of  practice 'back then'

I  know I can build  well,  but paint.... well, that's  what I'm  working up too. 

Then  simpler kits maybe better.  The GWH T-33 maybe quite tricky?   A lot of options will  be a metal finish, and they are tricky to do well.

A few other points,  the standard of builds here is high, i've seen a few other sites where the standard is quite a bit lower, but that means you may find in comparison your work  looks not  as  good.

I'm  not trying to  be negative,  I remember getting very frustrated as a 15 year old  reading Scale Models and not  being able  to achieve what I was seeing in the magazine,  though looking at a 72nd Fw190D I did as a tester back then,  ( I was into  1/48th) and it's actually decent for a brush painted model.

Now we have  the perils of the macro  lens, which shows up things  not visible to the eye (though  can be useful for error checking)

If you have just started up I presume you are more likely to be brush painting?   If so, what  kind of  paint?  (there are some  good  threads here on brushing BTW)

If you have  made the jump straight to  airbrushing,  then that's another learning curve.

You could  ask here for recommendations of good starter kits in an area you are interested in,  something that  builds well and has a simple paint scheme,  as a confidence builder.   

I'd also see if there is a local model club,  as there is nothing like being  able to question a builder on how 'such  and  such' was done,   you an do that here as well, if you see something  you like.

finally,  I have never seen anyone being belittled here for work they post,  plenty of folks who will  offer advice, support and if you wish, constructive criticism.

Don't worry if  some of the threads are a bit 'in depth'  as there are real experts posting, we have several noted authors here as members, which is a real boon if you really want to know some exacting detail!

I find BM a very helpful, friendly community,  I hope you find it so as well.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi Lish, welcome to BM. Always nice to say hello to a new aircraft modeller.

I would agree with a lot of what Troy says. I've got a reasonable bit of experience now, and I would still be wary of any GWH kits as they can be quite complicated. I would suggest you start as I did, with Tamiya as they are much, much simpler kits and very well engineered so they fit together easily with very little filler. I started with the Me 262 and then a Mk I Spitfire, but if you prefer the early jets maybe someone else may be able to suggest something. I have done the Tamiya MiG 15 and that was good.

Hope to see some of your completed builds on here in the future.

Gorby

• Like 1

Hello Lish

Welcome to this madhouse  great forum.

The main thing is not to get too tied up in trying to match some of the museum quality builds on here.

I've been building for 50 years and even if I lived another 50 I couldn't reach that stage butmI learn something new nearly every time I log in here.

Have fun and enjoy your builds

Richard

• Like 1