Airfix Wimpy for 2018

PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, Heraldcoupe said:

I wonder what chance of seeing a Mk1? That's oddball enough to appeal to Airfix as their second release. Whatever they do. I see a few of these in my future.

I can bet (and win) that there will be sooner or later  a lot aftermarket conversions, from turretless Mk I, Mk I minesweeper, Mk 2, Mk 3, and Mk X  etc - perhaps even Mk VI high altitude ... What about Warwick?

• Like 1

On 23/06/2017 at 8:26 PM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Typical .. just bought my second revell Mk II which is on its way in the post.

cheers 

jerry

.....which you'll have long before the red line brigade on Sniperscale have eviscerated this kit.

Vulcanicity's got a good point though: Coastal Command Mk. VIII on the cards and probably a Transport Command version sans turrets, but a Warwick is probably too much to hope for; extended inner wings and centre fuselage might be a cut n shut too far for the tooling designers.  We can but hope though.

Edited by stever219

3 hours ago, JWM said:

I can bet (and win) that there will be sooner or later  a lot aftermarket conversions, from turretless Mk I, Mk I minesweeper, Mk 2, Mk 3, and Mk X  etc - perhaps even Mk VI high altitude ... What about Warwick?

I hope for that - especially for a Mk V / MK VI high altitude. The warpaint series give  a lot of impressions 

modelldoc

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sofiane1718 said:

But not before "PhantomBigStu" :D

Odd - when I posted mine was the first post, and I used a different heading. Must have been moved by the Thought Police. No matter, it was just a little joke.

Richard in NZ

Well, I'm well and truly gruntled by this one - used in several theatres, Aussies flew them in both Europe and the Middle East, lots of different variants possible - I reckon Airfix is on a winner with it!

• Like 1

Now available on the Airfix website to pre-order;
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/pre-orders/vickers-wellington-mk-ic-1-72.html

show your faith in Airfix, pre-order; you only pay when its ready to be sent out to you and you can cancel the pre-order at any time

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

...Now I'm ignorant of Wimpy marks so can someone enlighten me as to what other minimal change marks Airfix could do from this?

afair a change of engines/cowlings/exhausts and different gun turrets will cover most of the versions. Replacing the nose turret with a semi solid nose makes the late Coastal Command version.

Don't have my books handy right now for deeper detail info

ps: I've put my pre-order in

6 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hang on, how it's a series 8, when the he111 is a 6/7. 

Same as the Whitley I suppose - which I was expecting.

The He111 in series 6/7 is a good comparison, however raising kits to the next series has been going on at Airfix for a while now - remember the reissued Fouga Magister in Series 3?

It's a rather annoying trend (money grab) which unfortunatley is gaining momentum.

Cheers.. Dave

Makes perfectly sense that Airfix is announcing this kit, a new tool of a well known subject that replaces something that has been in their catalogue for ages. The Wellington may not be my favourite British bomber but it's very good news anyway. Granted it will not be cheap, but if they make this kit to the standard of some of their latest ones, I may get one myself anyway

Urrm.  Just one thing.  I've not been able to find a picture of a 1C with both the long window and the triangular(ish) rear window.  This arrangement seems to be more associated with the MkX as far as I can tell.  However, I should state that I am not an expert on the Wimpy other then to know that the mark arrangement is nearly as Byzantine as that of the Halifax.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me. 

2 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Urrm.  Just one thing.  I've not been able to find a picture of a 1C with both the long window and the triangular(ish) rear window.  This arrangement seems to be more associated with the MkX as far as I can tell.  However, I should state that I am not an expert on the Wimpy other then to know that the mark arrangement is nearly as Byzantine as that of the Halifax.  Perhaps someone can enlighten me. 

The CAD render is a bit of a mishmash of Wellington marks. The triangular beam gun positions appeared on the Mk III which also got rid of the windows over the wing and the square one on the port nose (the rear turret also changed). Also those engine fronts are Mk Ia not Mk Ic. However I'm not writing this kit off as totally inaccurate/unbuildable, after all these are just CAD renders and can show as many different detail features as they wish. And whilst the Mk Ic has been announced I'm ever hopeful that various combinations of windows and turrets/fairings are being planned to allow multiple boxings. My biggest fear is I won't live long enough to see them all.

• Like 1

Just noticed that the Airfix CADS have two different window arrangements, one with the small diamond shaped window in the forward fuselage and one with the large rectangular version.  Suggests they have a cunning plan for providing fuselage blanks instead of windows and, thus, more versions.

8 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

The CAD render is a bit of a mishmash of Wellington marks. The triangular beam gun positions appeared on the Mk III which also got rid of the windows over the wing and the square one on the port nose (the rear turret also changed). Also those engine fronts are Mk Ia not Mk Ic. However I'm not writing this kit off as totally inaccurate/unbuildable, after all these are just CAD renders and can show as many different detail features as they wish. And whilst the Mk Ic has been announced I'm ever hopeful that various combinations of windows and turrets/fairings are being planned to allow multiple boxings. My biggest fear is I won't live long enough to see them all.

Thanks.  Was writing my last post when yours came through.  Agree with you that these CADS are possibly doodles demonstrating various options which is good news all round.  I suppose the main difficulty with producing multiple variants would be the window arrangement as other things, like the engine fronts for instance, can be on a different sprue whereas if they release versions with whole new fuselage sections then it would be practically a different kit altogether, which would be a rather expensive way of doing things.  Mind you, I suppose that is exactly what Trumpeter and MPM have done.  

Anyway, I'm confident that if any manufacturer gets it right it will be Airfix, bearing in mind that they actually have had access to a real one. 

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

No I think the beam guns were formally introduced with the Mk Ic, as a result of the daylight disasters at the hands of the Luftwaffe in 1939. There had also been trial installations in the earlier MkIa too. The ventral turret was discarded at the same time.

36 minutes ago, IanC said:

No I think the beam guns were formally introduced with the Mk Ic, as a result of the daylight disasters at the hands of the Luftwaffe in 1939. There had also been trial installations in the earlier MkIa too. The ventral turret was discarded at the same time.

I  must admit I've not seen the beam guns on a Ic (but won't dismiss it). I'd like to see the ventral turret position catered for as that hole was used for the Leigh light on the Costal Command Wellingtons and also on the Mk Ic as a paratroop exit.

28 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

I  must admit I've not seen the beam guns on a Ic (but won't dismiss it). I'd like to see the ventral turret position catered for as that hole was used for the Leigh light on the Costal Command Wellingtons and also on the Mk Ic as a paratroop exit.

Also if Airfix are going to release versions where different window configurations can be built it means it will be easier to a build post-War T.10.   Call me weird but that's the version I'd really like.