Mirage IIIO 3 Sqn RAAF

Graeme H

Since the HPM site lists all their Mirage kits as "new tooling", how do I tell which kits are the "new new tooling" ... or "revised new tooling" ... or "based on our new tool Mirage IIIE/5" ...:rage:

Thanks,

Gene K

• 2 weeks later...

Well viewers quite a bit of work has gone on since I got home nearly a week ago

Firstly I found my Mirage jig when doing the undersides, makes it so much easier

36844072552_50403d8b94_b.jpgDSC03793 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

When using the Red Roo decal sheet, I noticed a discrepancy between the colours on the 3 Sqn Fin markings between it and the HPM decal sheet that comes with the recce conversion.

36207086903_ac672336a9_b.jpgDSC03802 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

There are differences between the markings though the trailing edge of the dart shape is correct for A3-86 that I'm doing, but the marking on the HPM sheet is for a recon bird that had a different shape at the back end of the dart marking, so just have to live with it.  Another curiosity with the Red Roo decal is that it gives coloured 3 views of the aircraft, but no instructions at all on where they should go, so obviously for experienced modellers only.

Another part was the external canopy emergency release just behind the canopy on both sides, which Red Roo only give in the more common black, but the photo reference I'm using shows it was actually in red, which fortunately for me was on the HPM Recce decal sheet.

So the underside all decaled up, not many really

36179490064_32104c543f_b.jpgDSC03803 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

and the topside near enough complete, I just have to add the pitot tubes, and some nose gear doors and an odd stencil or 2  

36179494844_42a9aa1f52_b.jpgDSC03805 by qfa_tsv, on Flickr

Now off again for a few days, and hoping to catch up with Steve the former owner of High Planes, who is holidaying nearby with his family, so see what happens

Once I get the exterior matted down it is back to finishing off a MB Mk4 for the interior, and should be good to go

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Firstly I found my Mirage jig when doing the undersides, makes it so much easier

Wonderful update, thanks.

As concerns the jig, did you wing it, or do you have patterns (that you could/would share)??:D

Gene K

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Wonderful update, thanks.

As concerns the jig, did you wing it, or do you have patterns (that you could/would share)??:D

Gene K

I just wingdd it adjusting as I went, glued together withwhite glue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...