Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Graeme H

Mirage IIIO 3 Sqn RAAF

OK still 3 and 1/4  hours to go, but I thought I would put up here what I intend to begin with

I plan to try and get the F-111C finished before the deadline, so this will be a slightly delayed start, with a bit of tinkering here and there, while waiting for paint to dry on the F-111 

It will be as the header says a 3 Sqn RAAF aircraft in what is called the Lizard scheme, based at Butterworth in Malaysia, a place familiar to me, but I was a youngling back in the days of the Avon Sabre, and long before the Mirage started to appear there.

The Lizard scheme is the 3rd scheme used by RAAF Mirages, after NMF, sprayed silver

and it was just the 2 colours, Dark Sea Grey overall and Green on top in a matt finish.

The decal sheet is as you can see by Red Roo, I have a Master Pitot for this, that's about the extent of the AM

This is the revised tooling HPM kit, although it's not marked on the box.

DSC03693.jpg

8 people like this

Nice choice!

:)

1 person likes this

Nice one Graeme, there's plenty of very interesting Australian colour schemes to choose from.  Also interested in seeing how the revised HPM kit compares to the original moulding which I have.

Welcome to the GB.

Great!

Happy to see this revised edition from HPM.

Are the Red Roo decals there by choice, or due to the quality of thoses provided by HPM?

the decals are by choice, the HPM ones are very good

Very interested in the revised tool kit, looking forward to this ! And a 3 Sqn. aircraft always sounds good to me B)

Unlike most I start with the wings

now Mirage Elevons always droop a bit, and being a bit anal I always want mine to look like that, so a fair bit of work is involved in doing this as the kit Elevons are not all one, the inboard part is on the lower wing and the outboard part is one piece on the upper wing, so a lot of scoring and cutting the curve on the end, then bending and sanding flat.

I also wanted to see if I could improve the fit of the fuselage to wings, by putting in a spacer in the fuselage, not scientifically measured by any means, just sanded the ends of the bit of sprue until I got what I wanted, and put some glue on it to hold it in place.

DSC03725.jpg

3 people like this

Graeme,

I know what you mean about displacing the elevons and it's the sort of thing I would have done in the past, it's also the reason I have so many unfinished models :( but don't let that deter you!

I'd noticed on HardTarget's build there was a gap between the fuselage and wings, now you've mentioned it too.  Until I start putting mine together (hopefully starting this weekend), I won't know whether they've improved that aspect of the kit with the newer tooling I'm using compared to the original version both you and him are using.  I was thinking of using card shims on the inboard edge of the upper wing, I guess it depends upon how even and consistent the gap is.

You're making good progress, keep it up!

Wez, it's been my experience that the gap between the wings and fuselage appears the same on both the old and new, that's why I decided on the spacer, not perfect, but a big difference, I'll try and remember to photograph it for you

I'm following along Graeme. Very nice choice of the 3 Squadron machine in this scheme :).

I like the idea of the fuselage stretcher. 

Best regards

TonyT

One thing one has to do, when you droop the elevens is adjust their actuator fairing, I do that by cutting down on the join line, then bending it and putting on the wing, I find I have to clamp them down while the Tamiya Extra Thin Glue goes off, here all four are done.   If you want to put on the sidewinder or Matra 550 rails and pylons, you need to do a lot of extra work. I have some HPM Matra 550's which are 3D printed and this seems like a good idea to make the whole pylon and elevon fairing as a one piece affair, which it was in the ancient Revell kit, I think I will suggest that to Chris at HPM.

DSC03727.jpg

I have joined the wings, and it certainly closes up the gap, but there is still one there, so your choice if you want to bother

DSC03726.jpg

DSC03729.jpg

That's your lot for today, stay tuned viewers when we do some small cockpit detail, so don't expect anything very exciting I'm way past doing good cockpit work

3 people like this

Nice work with the drooping of the flying surfaces, good to see an aircraft that will be in its natural state whilst on the ground with no power applied. Like the spacer so that the fuselage/wing gap or lack of is a lot better.

Looking good.......does look nice when everything is together

rgds