Academy's 1\72 P-47 razorback markings

nsmekanik

Having just got this kit I want to do the one of Lt. rainbows A8 P. According to the instructions the front half of the cowling, every second cowl flap and the canopy frames are all natural metal with the rest being olive drab over nuetral grey.  Having done all the Google searches I can think of and not found a thing, I'm wondering if there is an accessible picture out there and if there are any opinions as to whether this was factory or field painted as per the canopy frames.   I have asked this on Hyperscale and so far what I have been told is that there are three pictures of it in David Weatherill's book; Aces, Pilots & Aircraft of the 9th,12th, & 15th USAAF , which I do not have access to, and they show the zero length rockets which are a rarity on the razor back apparently, and do not come in the kit. 

I am completely clueless when it come to P-47's.......

serial 43-25514 
P-47D-21-RA

56th FS 61 FG           HV-?
366  FS  390 FG        B2 ?

Damaged on the ground on 30/04/44 in Bovingdon GB  Pilot H.Perry
Damaged on takeoff on 18/11/44 Boxted   GB  Pilot Thomas I. Carmicheal
Crashed on 17/12/44 between asch and Ophoven Pilot Stanley S. Sobek Parachute

Everything else confirms this information about that serial number.......no Mention of Lt. Rainbow So i would guess that the serial in incorrect for this plane

Edited by nsmekanik

Just a few general points about P-47's. First of all Rockets were not as common as you might think, Bombs and Drop tanks were the most common ordnance carried. Before you model a P-47 with rockets, make sure you see pics of the aircraft in question or at least one in the same squadron, that way you know rockets are appropriate. The 9th and 12th AF P-47's did use rockets on occasion, especially in Italy and the South of France but I haven't seen any pics of them with HVAR rockets, only with the M10 Bazooka rocket launchers. The 9th AF seemed to have a fondness for firebombs, improvising with partly used drop tanks and then early napalm bombs. My advice would be to see the pics you mention before committing to HVAR rockets, otherwise a bomb on each wing rack (500lb most common but 1000lb bombs were also used) and a belly tank would be the safest bet. Also check what prop the aircraft was fitted with at the time, it should be one of the later props so don't use the toothpick prop in the kit (unless of course pics show it was still fitted with it!). Tha Academy kit's landing gear legs are also too long and the model will sit at an odd looking high angle, trim about 2mm off the legs and maybe flatspot the tyres too and it will look a little better. The kit decals are complete pants so I hope you aftermarket decals come with star and bar national markings and stencils too!

thanks

Mike

Thanks Mike, in lieu of any accessible pictures and now knowing that the serial is wrong for the code I've decided to follow your advice, unfortunately I'm stuck with the kit decals but I haven't had any real issues (knock on wood) with any of the previous Academy kit decals I've used and these ones "appear" to be ok.

Tim

Lt Abner Rainbow (1922-2016) stands on the wing of his P-47 Anna Louise, named after his girlfriend, later wife.

1135a_zpsals22vwe.jpg

Without getting the book, this is the best I can find. The decals were also done by DP Casper and I'm guessing that they, Printscale and Academy have the book. A post on Hyperscale says the zero-length rocket rails are visible. In the absence of anything else, you'll have to trust Academy (:<). We anal modellers couldn't do the model  without referring to the book.....!!!

I'd be sceptical about those zero-length rocket stubs on a Block 21 until I'd seen the picture.  However, this from Detail and Scale 54 p.23 seems to leave the door ajar:

"The final production block in the D series was the P-47D-40-RA which had provisions for 5 zero-length rocket stubs under each wing.  Kits to retrofit these rocket launchers were supplied to the field but most U.S. Thunderbolts used the 4.5-inch triple tube launchers when rockets were required for a mission."

So it was a late, late addition (by comparison the bubble top canopy came in as early as the P-47D-25-RE and the P-47D-26-RA).

OK as Ed does not have his copy of Dave Weatherill's book handy, I have scanned the 4 photos and 1 profile of A8-P 43-25514 in the book and present them here for everybody's information under the 'Fair Use' provisions.

One thing missed by the Printscale drawings is that the canopy and hood parts were in Natural Metal along with the front of the cowling. alternate cowl flaps etc as already noted. The serial IS 43-25514 as shown clearly on the full view photo (any source ascerting otherwise is obviously not complete).

I cannot see any sign of under wing rocket stubs (heaven knows where somebody got that idea from). It carries the usual under wing bomb racks so 500 lb bombs would be a much more appropriate load.

A8-P%201_zps9zekdbqy.jpg

A8-P%202_zpsrvxz17bo.jpg

A8-P%203_zps5exgnazo.jpg

A8-P%204_zpsadnydjve.jpg

Steve Mackenzie

• Like 2

Well done Steve......... most helpful. I'm rather tempted by that one as a model. I'll have to look out for the decals. The Printscale ones may be okay but the illustration shows the codes in the wrong style. I agree about the rocket rails and there's pretty good evidence it carried bombs! Here's a bit more info about Rainbow.

http://www.gettysburgtimes.com/obituaries/article_0f04b774-1fcb-5693-8b3f-c77950ae4d45.html

and the eponymous Anna Louise

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/88491836/

Edit - the decals themselves look okay on my screen