Canberra PR.9 - a venerable workhorse

EE Canberra Pr.9 1:48

DSC_0064_copyd.jpg

Good evening!

Finally, at long last I'm calling this one done. It's a 1:48 Airfix Canberra Pr.9 that I picked up at Cosford this year.

Overall the kit is quite a good one- only problems are the thickness of the plastic, lack of a proper Pr.9 cockpit or Navigator's nose compartment and lack of a bomb bay. Thankfully the latter was amended with the help of @canberra kid who very kindly offered me one to use in this build!

WIP:

Kit: Airfix Canberra Pr.9 1:48

Paints: Vallejo, with Alclad for the exhausts

Weathering: Thinned down Vallejo paint, Flory wash, as well as some AK Interactive washes

Scratchbuilt: Almost the entirety of the Cockpit and Navigator's compartment, upper fuselage aerial, rear fuselage camera and bomb bay.

DSC_0065s.jpg

DSC_0137s.jpg

DSC_0138s.jpg

DSC_0069s.jpg

DSC_0076s.jpg

DSC_0080s.jpg

DSC_0090s.jpg

DSC_0120s_copy.jpg

DSC_0094s.jpg

DSC_0117s.jpg

DSC_0108s.jpg

DSC_0085s.jpg

DSC_0105s.jpg

DSC_0125s.jpg

DSC_0121s.jpg

DSC_0122s.jpg

And a few in-progress images of the cockpit:

DSCN2808.jpg

DSCN2809.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

Thank you very much for having a look!

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 41

This looks amazing, from a technical point of view, however, Canberra PR.9s were keep very clean, so, from a personal point of view, I feel the weathering is rather inaccurate.

Sorry, I'm not trying to "dis" your fantastic build (I wish I could produce something this detailed), but if it were me, I'd appreciate being told.

• Like 1

Very nice Canberra , lovely finish .

Still have to get mine started at some point.

Guy

• Like 1

Really nice workmanship here. Having built the Airfix 1:72 kit, and knowing its similarities with the 1:48 version, I know how difficult it is to pull off such a great build using this kit. Superb bomb bay and cameras - John @canberra kid was a huge help on my build as well, he is such a valuable resource. It was great of him to send you some parts for the bomb bay. The scratchbuilt navigator's station is very nicely done - I can't imagine spending more than about five minutes in there with the nose shut. I guess that's why the day/night indicators were installed.   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Smashing job, one thing that hurt my eyes were the bleed valve outlets on the stbd engine cowl which should be outboard, bloomin' Airfix!   I had the pleasure of working on the grown-up version! And thank you for getting the grey matter working! 🙂

• Like 1