Hi all

even though I have a bunch of started kits waiting around to be finished and the job and family keeping me busy, I would love to start Revell's 1/48 Tornado.

Talked to one of my colleagues a couple of days ago who used to work on German IDS and the Tornado fever got me.

I have Shaun's great resin sets and a copy of a IRLS pod, but I'm still missing a couple of things like a good template for the SLIR windows or a third 1500l tank...by the way read somewhere that the tanks included are the wrong ones for a RAF aircraft!?!?

Or info about differences between the regular GR1 cockpit and the 1A cockpit. I read through General Melchett's great build and would also love to build a RAFG Gr.1A.

Does anybody know if it's the same as the Gr1's? Or are there any panels or controls...which would be noticeable in 1/48 for the recon equipment?

I don't know if I will be able to start an online WIP or how long I will need to finish the kit...can't remember when I finished my last one...but with the kids now grown up a bit more I should have more time for a model :-)

So...anyone with any info concerning the cockpit, a good drawing that I could use for the SLIR windows or the 1500l tanks?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Alex

• Like 1

Hi Alex, I took a photo of the "camera" control panel in a 13 Sqn. GR.1a it's not that big and from what I recall it wouldn't be that noticeable in 1/48 scale, I can try to find it over the weekend unless some one else turns up with one in the meantime.

John 

• Like 1

Well Alex, I've surprised myself, not only have I found the photo's, but I've also got my very temperamental scanner to do what it's supposed to but all too often refuses to do and scan them! The GR.1A is ZG712 of 13 Sqn. photographed at the much missed RAF Church Fenton air show. 

GR1A%20a_zpsivyvwpej.jpeg

The sensor control panel is at the rear of the Nav's side console at the rear port side. 

GR1A%20b_zpszoregme4.jpeg

Not the same aircraft but I just thought you would like them?

GR1A%20c_zpsqgqyd8p5.jpeg

And ZG713 from the starboard side

162%20T%20GR1A%20ZG713%2013SQD_zps91iwxt

I hope these help?

John   

• Like 4

I remember hearing something about the kit tanks at some point but don't think there's much difference to notice in 1/48. Think the kit supplies 4 fin's but only very early GR1's we're seen with that set up so just leave the top fin's off. I remember reading somewhere on here that the tanks are the same size between Gr1 and IDS versions but are made from different materials, or something like that.

Here's a link to my Gr1A build from a couple of years ago, quite a few folk pitched in with info and advice which may e of help to you.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983051-148-revell-tornado-gr1-finished/&

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Thanks a lot for the photos John!!!!

And thanks for the info Muzz!!! I will go through your build ;)

You'll see in the build thread there's a set of MA decals you can get that have the side windows for the recce pack. There a bit oversize IMO but save on a lot of work. If that doesn't interest you I think I have a PE template for them if your interested.

• Like 2

Great build and great looking Tornado Muzz!!!

I have an Italeri F.3 and will rob the third 1500l tank from her and I think you're right about decals for the recce windows...much easier and I think they are also included in the Xtradecal stencil sheet. I will take a look later.

Thanks for the offer for the template!!!!

• Like 2

On 6/24/2017 at 0:59 PM, Muzz said:

I remember hearing something about the kit tanks at some point but don't think there's much difference to notice in 1/48. Think the kit supplies 4 fin's but only very early GR1's we're seen with that set up so just leave the top fin's off. I remember reading somewhere on here that the tanks are the same size between Gr1 and IDS versions but are made from different materials, or something like that.

Here's a link to my Gr1A build from a couple of years ago, quite a few folk pitched in with info and advice which may e of help to you.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234983051-148-revell-tornado-gr1-finished/&

You need to fill the panel lines as the RAF Tanks do not have the panel detail but do have heavy rivets...

Tornado%20GR.4%20Maple%20Flag%20010.JPG

ids7.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Jody Reynolds said:

I have a 1/48 airfix desert storm tornado but it has extra cockpit parts the part where you attach the seats but also has different display panels but they aren't listed in the instructions!!

Some of the parts from the earlier F. Mk. 3 kit, including wings, tailerons, undercarriage were included in the GR. Mk. 1/1A kit as Airfix tried to save on tooling costs.

• Like 1